Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 on Canon EOS problem (solved)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's come up before - just skim a couple of mm off the focus ring. No big deal, as you're not destroying the lens for it's intended original purpose and fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
That's come up before - just skim a couple of mm off the focus ring. No big deal, as you're not destroying the lens for it's intended original purpose and fit.

I'm 95% sure that's what I'll end up doing, it just seems a shame to have to alter it in such a way. Sad

@Macca; I've seen the other version on ebay but I thought it was fugly so went for this variety. (I have no idea if there is any difference in performance between the two.)

@Pancolart; I don't have the tools, nor skills, for that. Sad

@Laurence; Because the lens is in such good condition it hurts to start machining bits of it. But my guilt will only last up to the point where I use it for the first time, then I'll forget what I did. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS,

As Macca says... see here...

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,15.html

try reselling and getting the other version

Cool

PS Sorry, it's on page one of that thread, about 3/4 way down...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Hi SS,

As Macca says... see here...

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,15.html

try reselling and getting the other version

Cool

PS Sorry, it's on page one of that thread, about 3/4 way down...

Aha! Yes I remember seeing those diagrams before but it didn't really register with me because I had a different model at the time.
My 44-3 is a 1985 version so it's the same as the one on the left in the picture, what I need is the one on the right. Rolling Eyes

I saw my friend today, the one with the grinding machine, he said I was welcome to use it any time I wanted to....I think that's the road I'll be heading down. Twisted Evil
I doubt I'll find another in such excellent condition so I may as well make this one mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work is done!
This morning I took the focus ring of my 44-3 to the workshop and ground down the bottom of the ring so the M42-EOS adapter can fit without binding.
The operation took ten minutes and now the lens works perfectly Very Happy

This is how it looks before and after the work

Thanks to hpmickey for the link to the instructions. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
hpmickey wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Clearly the focus ring is in the way of the adapter. I'd like to know if there's a way of moving it.

Hello, check this: Step by step instructions how to sand it. It might help you.

Michal

Thanks for that Very Happy although I'd rather have a non-destructive solution it's good to know there is a way to fix the problem.
I'll hang on for a week or two in case another option presents itself, but if that fails I know a man with a large, flat, electric grinding machine. Wink

Hi, with cheap adapter you may have this problem with Helios 44-3.... perhaps this is the price to pay for saving money on adapter... Very Happy
Save some money and invest to high quality Rayqual and eliminate the problem. My Helios 44-3, S/N 8506681 works just fine, but will have the same issue as discussed above with cheap adapter.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grind it myself with a sand paper by hand, take 10 minutes, very simple.