Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 on Canon EOS problem (solved)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-3 on Canon EOS problem (solved) Reply with quote

I've just received a Helios 44-3 and I'm having a problem using it.
It's an M42 mount but the normal adapter (to my Canon) binds against the focus ring, making it unusable.

There are three tiny screws on the focus ring so I'm wondering if I can loosen them and move the ring away from the mount.
Perhaps someone else here has had a similar problem and managed to fix it.

This is what it looks like

Can anyone help me please? Sad

Last edited by SonicScot on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be on thin ice with this one, but ought it not to have been 44M-3 (or perhaps 44-3M) to fit M42?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually this is when I head to the machine shop Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to change a Ring
Helios 44-3 Is a very charm of the lens.
look my sample

http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-3-mc-very-sharp-looks-like-a-film-t53735.html Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
I may be on thin ice with this one, but ought it not to have been 44M-3 (or perhaps 44-3M) to fit M42?

No, it's definitely an M42 mount because my adapter (I have a dozen of them) screws onto the mount ok. The problem is the focus ring which stops the adapter screwing on all the way. The adapter needs another 2mm of thread to screw all the way on. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. How about asking Mayapop to publish a photo
of his lens, taken so that it would show the threads and
the focus ring (set to infinity, like in your second photo)?

Last edited by twinquartz on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring fitted Can you upload a photo?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it may be helpful to see how mayapop's lens and adapter look compared to mine.

This is mine with the adapter screwed on up to the point when it hits the focus ring.

If you look at this next image the red arrow shows where the adapter makes contact, the green arrow shows where it's supposed to make contact.

Clearly the focus ring is in the way of the adapter. I'd like to know if there's a way of moving it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has silly design it is stuck on my adapters too, I could get working well on film bodies , but not with adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Clearly the focus ring is in the way of the adapter. I'd like to know if there's a way of moving it.

Hello, check this: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/77158-caution-helios-44-fans-potential-buyers-4.html#post1984654. Step by step instructions how to sand it. It might help you.

Michal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoj Michal!
That was a good link. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpmickey wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Hello, check this: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/77158-caution-helios-44-fans-potential-buyers-4.html#post1984654. Step by step instructions how to sand it. It might help you.

Michal

Thanks for that Very Happy although I'd rather have a non-destructive solution it's good to know there is a way to fix the problem.
I'll hang on for a week or two in case another option presents itself, but if that fails I know a man with a large, flat, electric grinding machine. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't feel bad about the 'destruction', especially if you can then use the lens for what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use it without original focusing ring. Make your own grip.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two versions of the 44m 3, one with this mount flange problem and one without. Looks like you may have the former. I have a copy from 1990 without the flange problem, though according to that Pentax forum date is not reliable for finding one without.

Its a nice lens if you can get one without. Sorry if thats less than helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's come up before - just skim a couple of mm off the focus ring. No big deal, as you're not destroying the lens for it's intended original purpose and fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
That's come up before - just skim a couple of mm off the focus ring. No big deal, as you're not destroying the lens for it's intended original purpose and fit.

I'm 95% sure that's what I'll end up doing, it just seems a shame to have to alter it in such a way. Sad

@Macca; I've seen the other version on ebay but I thought it was fugly so went for this variety. (I have no idea if there is any difference in performance between the two.)

@Pancolart; I don't have the tools, nor skills, for that. Sad

@Laurence; Because the lens is in such good condition it hurts to start machining bits of it. But my guilt will only last up to the point where I use it for the first time, then I'll forget what I did. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS,

As Macca says... see here...

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,15.html

try reselling and getting the other version

Cool

PS Sorry, it's on page one of that thread, about 3/4 way down...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Hi SS,

As Macca says... see here...

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,15.html

try reselling and getting the other version

Cool

PS Sorry, it's on page one of that thread, about 3/4 way down...

Aha! Yes I remember seeing those diagrams before but it didn't really register with me because I had a different model at the time.
My 44-3 is a 1985 version so it's the same as the one on the left in the picture, what I need is the one on the right. Rolling Eyes

I saw my friend today, the one with the grinding machine, he said I was welcome to use it any time I wanted to....I think that's the road I'll be heading down. Twisted Evil
I doubt I'll find another in such excellent condition so I may as well make this one mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work is done!
This morning I took the focus ring of my 44-3 to the workshop and ground down the bottom of the ring so the M42-EOS adapter can fit without binding.
The operation took ten minutes and now the lens works perfectly Very Happy

This is how it looks before and after the work

Thanks to hpmickey for the link to the instructions. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
hpmickey wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Hello, check this: Step by step instructions how to sand it. It might help you.

Michal

Thanks for that Very Happy although I'd rather have a non-destructive solution it's good to know there is a way to fix the problem.
I'll hang on for a week or two in case another option presents itself, but if that fails I know a man with a large, flat, electric grinding machine. Wink

Hi, with cheap adapter you may have this problem with Helios 44-3.... perhaps this is the price to pay for saving money on adapter... Very Happy
Save some money and invest to high quality Rayqual and eliminate the problem. My Helios 44-3, S/N 8506681 works just fine, but will have the same issue as discussed above with cheap adapter.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grind it myself with a sand paper by hand, take 10 minutes, very simple.