Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RE.Auto Topcor 58mm f1.4...samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: RE.Auto Topcor 58mm f1.4...samples Reply with quote

These samples photos were shot with a Sony Nex 5n at f4. These were downsized with no post processing. The lens has a tiny batch of fungus in the center of an inner element, which probably does not effect image quality. The aperture blades are sluggish to open due to some oil on the blades. This is, by far, the largest 50ish lens that I have. I took some sample shots of it next to an 85mm Super Takumar for comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures have not told me much. Can you say something about your impressions of the IQ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The pictures have not told me much. Can you say something about your impressions of the IQ?

Honestly, I haven't used it, other than the few photos seen here. I shot these and quickly decided to change over to the Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.4 (which I liked very much). But I don't want to draw any comparisons to others lenses, yet. The colors appear to be neutral, very good contrast (though it does lose some towards the sun), nice bohke. I believe that it has potential to be one of the finest in this focal length; the build quality, focusing mechanism is exquisite. I can understand why it is sought after by collectors. So, putting aside that it has some fungus and the aperture blades are not snappy, it is, still, heavy and large in comparison to many other 55-58mm lenses. I'm considering dismantling it, but I may send it away for a cleaning. If you're wondering as to how it compares to your f1.8, I don't know. I do have the 35mm Topcor (which came with this one) and I think the "profile" is similar, so the f1.8 must be....? Probably just a half stop slower, is all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick comparaison between the 1.4 and the 1.8 on this page:

http://forum.mflenses.com/topcon-re-auto-topcor-1-8-58-wide-open-sharpness-t52599,start,15.html

I like the Topcor 58mm 1.4 but I think the 1.8 is a better lens, for the price. Sure the 1.4 is a bit sharper after 2.8, but the 1.8 gives more contrast and is just more transportable.
I m a big fan of the Re Auto Topcors but this lens is overrated in my opinion. Sure it's nice, looks cool and is very well built, but not that terrific when you compare it with some other good lenses. It sells for a lot of money sometimes, even more than the Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 wich is a much better lens in picture quality...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and I'm very happy, but the f1.4 beats it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good case for the 1.4 Klaus, but I shall stick with my (much) cheaper 1.8. Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have Bill's lens to sale , excellent lens even at wide open, bulky yes, but coating is probably best from those years when made.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I will have Bill's lens to sale , excellent lens even at wide open, bulky yes, but coating is probably best from those years when made.

$$$?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, now, have both of these lenses, and the 1.8 is my "keep-on-the-camera" lens. It came with the original Topcor hood, and since I travel and often throw my camera on the front seat of my vehicle, I always leave it on to protect the front glass. I know that I would never sell this lens...its a keeper for life (unless I find more!!)
I haven't done a comparison between the two. This 1.8 is much smaller than the 1.4, and because the issues that I do have with the 1.4 haven't been fixed yet, I've been reluctant to make comparisons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can really go wrong with these lenses(58/1.4 or 1.8 ), unless you get a bad copy that is, they have great color, amazing sharpness, and smooth focus.
I've posted this before, 58/1.4 & NEX-7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:

I m a big fan of the Re Auto Topcors but this lens is overrated in my opinion. Sure it's nice, looks cool and is very well built, but not that terrific when you compare it with some other good lenses. It sells for a lot of money sometimes, even more than the Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 wich is a much better lens in picture quality...

...and would add:- is it more about the photographer, as give any very good lens to the top photographers here and would you see the difference. So what happens is the word goes around the world for a "must have a Topcor lens" the prices shoot up when a less expensive lens might be just as good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Topcor prices HAVE already inflated... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/topcor-58-1-4-portrait-t58723,highlight,%2Btopcor.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/topcor-1-4-5-8cm-tokyo-kogaku-t58290,highlight,%2Btopcor.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really amazed me was that it's sharp wide open, and I don't see much change in sharpness when stopping down to f5.6, just more DOF, and more detail in the bokeh.

Last edited by Lightshow on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
What really amazed me was that it's sharp wide open, and I don't see much change in sharpness when stopping down to f5.6, just more DOF, and more detail in the bokeh.

Yes, CA can be significant wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila: Which one? I don't see it with my f/1.8 and NEX-5N.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5,8cm F1.4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot high contrast (back lit, chrome...) subjects and you will see it, but LR4 makes it a non issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare the f1.8 http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-f1-8-58mm-t59371.html
with the f1.4 here: http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-f1-4-58mm-t59305.html

and the differences get obvious.... CA I mean

f1.8

f1.4

Lighting and exposure was different, nevertheless those serve for comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

As I posted above, here are some samples to prove it. click through for much larger versions, focus is on the small hairs on the back of the leaf in the center.
WO:

5.6: