Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Early Spring in the Rain Forest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Early Spring in the Rain Forest Reply with quote

It isn't actually Spring, of course, but the Skunk Cabbage (Lysichiton americanum) is the first harbinger of the approaching long days.

These are small samples, probably about 6 inches in height. At this stage they are very fresh looking. Some of the biggest plants can be 3 feet high with leaves over 6 feet long, especially in the Sylvia Creek valley.

The very large Skunk Cabbages are great for warming up your hands on a frosty morning. The spathe has chemical reactions taking place that keeps the internal temperature in the 50 degree fahrenheit range.

Jupiter-9 85/2

Soligar 35-70 Macro Zoom (I think)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute little guy! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the three bold colours in the second.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hold your nose? When I lived in Connecticut these were always the first things out, but I have not seen as many over here in the West. That Jup is a nice little lens - I am still trying to get used to mine.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Did you hold your nose? . . .

I take it its a good thing there looks don't match their smell Smile

Vivid colours, wow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You make me laugh with your funny comments!

Regarding the smell - in actuality I LIKE the smell of Skunk Cabbage. It is certainly reminiscent of an actual Skunk odor, but somehow more "earthy" and clean to me.

The plant itself is AMAZING. If you get a chance to read up on it, you'll see some characteristics of the Skunk Cabbage that are extremely unusual. It is a sort of "prehistoric" plant, but with "modern" designs! Very Happy