Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What paint for lens repair?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: What paint for lens repair? Reply with quote

What is the best paint for touching up faded red and black marking on a lens? In this case the lens is a silver Helios with engraved lettering. Thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-coloring of engraved characters would best be done, I think, with enamel.

First it would be necessary thoroughly to clean the surface of what remains of the existing coloring. I'm not thinking removal of the old paint, but I should think it's surface needs to be clean so new paint will adhere. Something like Prep-Sol might work. That's a product made to prepare car bodies for new paint. Obviously application would be extremely localized and sparing. I'm envisioning Q-Tip and not dunk or spray . . . unless the lens is all apart.

The other issue with re-coloring engraved lettering is when and how to wipe . . . . to wipe away the excess paint. You wipe on the diagonal, I believe, but I don't know when.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For touching up black camera bodies I use the modelers Tamiya acrylic semi gloss black ( X-18 ) I know you're not after black but this is very good paint and in my local model shop they have a huge range of colours in tiny 10ml jars. It dries very quickly, and with the black on a camera body I gently rub the paint with my finger as soon as it becomes touch dry, maybe 30 seconds after applying, and it smooths the finish and dulls it a bit so it becomes virtually indistinguishable from the original paint. There's a thinner in the same size jars as well so you can easily remove the paint before it hardens if it doesn't look right, and clean the brush.

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/quickshop.php?ps1=340

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. My local art supply store has no idea about enamel paints (they probably called it something else here) but they do carry a whole range of acrylic paints. I will give it a try. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These enamel paints are used for model building -- check at local hobbyist shop.

online micro-tools.com or micro-tools.de

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not relevant to this question, but Tipp-Ex correction fluid is very useful for white markings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enamel paint, don't bother with ersatz solutions, do it properly. Smile Humbrol are a common brand in EU. They should come in tiny 25ml tins for painting models.

Should be no more than 2eu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the differences between enamels and acrylics can be found here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071227160651AAl7QHu

I probably would still stick with old-fashioned enamel. But the acrylic enamels would be a strong second choice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info., guys. I have tried the acrylic paints and find that the result was quite acceptable. I have not touched a brush for 20 years but I found the paint easy to apply. It dried quickly and the excess could be scratch off with fingernail.

Next I will try enamel. I have located model stores where the paints were available. Too bad the stores are across the town so it will probably take me a couple weeks (to find time, not to travel). Razz

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
For touching up black camera bodies I use the modelers Tamiya acrylic semi gloss black ( X-18 ) I know you're not after black but this is very good paint and in my local model shop they have a huge range of colours in tiny 10ml jars. It dries very quickly, and with the black on a camera body I gently rub the paint with my finger as soon as it becomes touch dry, maybe 30 seconds after applying, and it smooths the finish and dulls it a bit so it becomes virtually indistinguishable from the original paint. There's a thinner in the same size jars as well so you can easily remove the paint before it hardens if it doesn't look right, and clean the brush.

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/quickshop.php?ps1=340

I also use Tamiya or Humbrol (if I can find it).

Jes.