Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Polypan F50, Kiev II, Sonnar 1.5/50, ro9 1:100 stand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Polypan F50, Kiev II, Sonnar 1.5/50, ro9 1:100 stand Reply with quote

Got 152m roll of this stuff cheap, supposed to be Ilford Pan F 50. It might b the same emulsion, but the film base is different to any pan F 50 or other ilford I've seen before, pretty thin but stays flat. Pan F 50 is supposed to be very contrasty but with good grain and great tonality if exposed/developed right. Hence I did 1:100 ro9 for 1.5hrs to keep contrast down. I think it reduced contrast a bit too much as I had to increase it in PP. I also think it was slightly overdeveloped and this resulted in some bleeding out from highlights. Seems like a film I can get very nice tonality from with the right exposure and processing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing.
Film looks like it has a lot potential.

In my experience bad halation protection can be evened with a lot with more highlight pushing developers.
My Lucky SHD always had several times less problems in Xtol 1+1 than in Rodinal halation-protection-wise for example

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series was in bad light, which didn't help, it's been a really bad year for light here and looks like being even worse in the coming months, it's barely stopped raining for the last couple of weeks so I have to run out with a camera whenever the rain stops and not be too picky about light, it's getting rather annoying.

http://forum.mflenses.com/polypan-50-konica-ft-1-hexanon-1-4-57-fomadon-lqn-t53721.html

Have a look at that series in slightly better light, results are better. Also, I think the Fomadon LQN at 1:14 for 12mins at 20C worked much better than RO9 1:100 for 90mins at 20C, grain was much less and contrast was great, with the RO9 stand developed I got very flat contrast that required adjustment in PP.

I think Fomadon LQN will be my developer of choice for this film.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how this film will react. But with rodinal stand development I usually use 3ml of rodinal in 450- 500 ml of water depending on which tank I have with me . I've always found the total amt of developer to be more important than the ratio of dev- water . I give it an hour at 18c and it has worked to exhaustion . Warmer than 18 c creates larger grain for me . Of course this creates reduced contrast in the neg . It's why we use stand and semi stand dev to pull highlight detail out of high contrast scenes .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Erkie, good tips. That's pretty much how I did it - 3ml ro9 in about 350ml water, room temp was 19-20C, I let it stand 1.5hrs, was panning 1hr but got distracted. I think the result was a bit overdeveloped. Contrast was very low and had to be fixed in PP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vintage look, like them!
Thanks for sharing