Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Polypan F50, Kiev II, Sonnar 1.5/50, ro9 1:100 stand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Polypan F50, Kiev II, Sonnar 1.5/50, ro9 1:100 stand Reply with quote

Got 152m roll of this stuff cheap, supposed to be Ilford Pan F 50. It might b the same emulsion, but the film base is different to any pan F 50 or other ilford I've seen before, pretty thin but stays flat. Pan F 50 is supposed to be very contrasty but with good grain and great tonality if exposed/developed right. Hence I did 1:100 ro9 for 1.5hrs to keep contrast down. I think it reduced contrast a bit too much as I had to increase it in PP. I also think it was slightly overdeveloped and this resulted in some bleeding out from highlights. Seems like a film I can get very nice tonality from with the right exposure and processing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing.
Film looks like it has a lot potential.

In my experience bad halation protection can be evened with a lot with more highlight pushing developers.
My Lucky SHD always had several times less problems in Xtol 1+1 than in Rodinal halation-protection-wise for example

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series was in bad light, which didn't help, it's been a really bad year for light here and looks like being even worse in the coming months, it's barely stopped raining for the last couple of weeks so I have to run out with a camera whenever the rain stops and not be too picky about light, it's getting rather annoying.

http://forum.mflenses.com/polypan-50-konica-ft-1-hexanon-1-4-57-fomadon-lqn-t53721.html

Have a look at that series in slightly better light, results are better. Also, I think the Fomadon LQN at 1:14 for 12mins at 20C worked much better than RO9 1:100 for 90mins at 20C, grain was much less and contrast was great, with the RO9 stand developed I got very flat contrast that required adjustment in PP.

I think Fomadon LQN will be my developer of choice for this film.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how this film will react. But with rodinal stand development I usually use 3ml of rodinal in 450- 500 ml of water depending on which tank I have with me . I've always found the total amt of developer to be more important than the ratio of dev- water . I give it an hour at 18c and it has worked to exhaustion . Warmer than 18 c creates larger grain for me . Of course this creates reduced contrast in the neg . It's why we use stand and semi stand dev to pull highlight detail out of high contrast scenes .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Erkie, good tips. That's pretty much how I did it - 3ml ro9 in about 350ml water, room temp was 19-20C, I let it stand 1.5hrs, was panning 1hr but got distracted. I think the result was a bit overdeveloped. Contrast was very low and had to be fixed in PP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vintage look, like them!
Thanks for sharing