Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Chinon 1.2/55mm Tomioka M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Auto Chinon 1.2/55mm Tomioka M42 Reply with quote

I was able to acquire one of the latest models of the Tomioka-made 1.2/55mm. They are the fastest lens made for m42 SLRs and have reached a somewhat cult status because of it. I usually would agree that a half-stop difference over a 1.4 doesn't matter much, but come on, it's awesome to have such a fast lens and anyone that says otherwise is just jealous. Very Happy

The Chinon re-branding is supposed to be one of the rarer models. According to Tomioka.de, only 300 were made. I think my model disproves that. It seems to be the 486th made. The body cosmetics are very similar to the Multi-Coated Chinon 1.4/55s and 1.7/55s, so it must be late production. Most of the 1.2s have a pale white/gold coating. My Chinon has a vibrant blue/gold/purple. Not sure if it's necessarily MC but I believe it's the most progressive coating before production began on the Yashinon DS-M 1.2/55.

Anyways, this lens is very impressive. Honestly @1.2 I thought it would be on the verge of unusable. Center performance is actually quite strong. Resolution @1.2 is definitely on par with any Super Takumar I've tried @1.4 but this may be overshadowed by an increase in glow and decrease in contrast. Still, it's actually REALLY good. Stopped down it actually may prove to be the sharpest lens I've encountered. No joke. Right away on the camera LCD I noticed a serious "punch" to images f2 and beyond. Microcontrast is superb. Just look at the dog pics. Even if they are a little front focused...

Photos are quick. I've only had the lens for a few hours. No PP at all. Taken on Sony a850.

The Lens:
I couldn't get the reflections to show in my light-box so it's just on my table

Famous "cut" back element to make room for the auto pin

Samples:
@1.2

@2

@3.5

@1.2

Crop

@2

Crop

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by themoleman342 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures from a great lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky dog Wink!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous I am! Great lens, lovely shots Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is in good hands! Gorgeous rendering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to finally have this lens. I shouldn't really mention how much I got it for...then you'd really be jealous! *cough*$100*cough* Very Happy

Let me just repeat that these pictures are straight from the camera. Just converted to jpeg and re-sized. The second picture of my dog, Zorki, looks very dimensional to me. And the contrast is fantastic, no? Granted there's CA on the shiny latch of her leash but most lenses would do that. The whole "feeling" of the picture looks very similar to my new Zeiss Distagon ZS 2/35mm. Very surprising!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I'm excited to finally have this lens. I shouldn't really mention how much I got it for...then you'd really be jealous! *cough*$100*cough* Very Happy

Let me just repeat that these pictures are straight from the camera. Just converted to jpeg and re-sized. The second picture of my dog, Zorki, looks very dimensional to me. And the contrast is fantastic, no? Granted there's CA on the shiny latch of her leash but most lenses would do that. The whole "feeling" of the picture looks very similar to my new Zeiss Distagon ZS 2/35mm. Very surprising!

Laughing even better! Try an ordinary 1.4 lens parallel , may you will find your camera doing fantastic job !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratz, you have a rare of a rare lens Very Happy

i think that lens is 2nd generation, the focusing grip is rubber. the first generation is leathered focusing ring. The 21/3.5 version also has the same rubber grip (engraved TOMIOKA).

Nice sample shot, your dog is very lucky, photographed with gorgeus lens. Very Happy

I just can buy the 55/1.4 version, leathered focusing grip, with engraved TOMIOKA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try an ordinary 1.4 lens parallel

I will. I've tried multiple copies of every incarnation of the Takumar 1.4/50 (7&8 element super, s-m-c, smc). I've had at least 6 of the Tomioka 1.4/55s. They're all great lenses but I've never connected with any of them. I had the 1.4/55 Pancolar, which I sold recently. I only sold the Pancolar because I didn't believe the collector value was in line with its performance. Up to this point it was the best 50/55 I had tried but I am happier with the $900 I got for it. So although I haven't done a head-to-head test yet I'm familiar with general results and the Chinon definitely wowed me right away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward your result , can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f2 samples look a lot better than the f1.2 ones to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for this bargain, first samples look great, will wait for the portrait series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. That's real bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see how it compares to the Nikon 1.2/50, just because. Congrats on finding a rare lens at a good price though! It looks like it performs excellently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fabulous - Evil or Very Mad

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really worthy of the gallery yet so I'll just post this one here:

There was quite a lot of CA. Everyone will probably notice some desaturated edges. Also slightly front focused. Seems I have a tendency to do that.