Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian superior lens Vega-28 and Russian girls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Russian superior lens Vega-28 and Russian girls Reply with quote

Russian superior lens Vega-28 and Russian girls. Let me introduce to you one of the best Russian portrait lens MC Vega-28 120 mm f/ 2.8

Model Kristina. Photos without graphic processing. Only Resize. +1.7 - +2 Ev. f/2.8. Camera Canon 5D Mark 2

Last edited by soborodin on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Vega-28 Reply with quote

Model Katerina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos, but all of them look overexposed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:

I love this effect. It adds a special lightness and charm of female portraits in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:

What? I say this respectfully. Not everything has to be "perfectly exposed."

Very Lovely photos. I like the high-key and wonderful pastel colors very much and assume they are a style choice.
Nicely done.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful portraits and great lens, seems free of chromatic aberrations !
Kristina have the same face with you, is she your sister ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soborodin wrote:
RTI wrote:

I love this effect. It adds a special lightness and charm of female portraits in my opinion.

yes a great art tool and works very well on some and less on others #8 is my favorite from all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overexposed on my monitor... and on my perception of beauty...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback!

poilu wrote:
beautiful portraits and great lens, seems free of chromatic aberrations !
Kristina have the same face with you, is she your sister ?

Smile No, not my sister, although we really like each other

Chromatic aberration is really almost absent, even in contrasting plots

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:

Your monitor is calibrated?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of overexposed images but these look ok; some great ones in there.

Jeff Zen wrote:
Very Lovely photos. I like the high-key and wonderful pastel colors very much and assume they are a style choice.
Nicely done.

Overexposing and high-key are not always the same thing. I wouldn't call these high-key.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more shot on a gray day.

Overexposure is a basic technique which generally makes people look better than if one was trying to show detail in the skin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens. I liked it considerably more than the zebra 120mm biometar that I had. Maybe the later MC biometar would have been better. It's a lot more compact regardless; not much bigger than the Volna 9.

I think the set with Kristina is stronger. The poses and expressions are more varied, as are the compositions. The high-key approach also looks better there too because the contrast is maintained. I think the set with Katerina look a little washed out by comparison. Still good photos though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly an excellent lens..yet another to add to my wish list Rolling Eyes Laughing

High-key? Over-exposed?

Don't care either way, they are lovely portraits...simple as that. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the effect you have accomplished.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whether one 'likes' or 'dislikes' is almost not relevent, as it was an obvious and intentional artistic choice that achieved the desired effect of creating a soft, pastel, surreal environment, and this effect i think is excellently achieved. i think also the lack of contrast of the first series adds to this effect, makes it more pronounced. not everyones taste, but i personally appreciate achieving the vision.

i do wonder at the overall effect of cropping the 'whited out' parts...
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a clearly knowledgeable photographer posts a series of this sort, you must assume the effect in the photographs is chosen and deliberate. My first reaction was "ah blown highlights". But then, when all in the series are similar, one must realize the photographer has made a choice. In this case I find the effect very convincing, airy and light.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High key, and clipped highlights, are two different things, however.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soborodin wrote:
izvar wrote:

Mine is... I do like to bump exposure sometimes, but yours do look a bit over, IMHO.
Also I do understand that was done on purpose, not a photographer's error. Just my opinion Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
soborodin wrote:
izvar wrote:

Mine is... I do like to bump exposure sometimes, but yours do look a bit over, IMHO.
Also I do understand that was done on purpose, not a photographer's error. Just my opinion Smile

It's not a matter of monitor calibration, histogram speaks objectively:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the admins here for being so quick to point out my apparently incorrect use of the term "high key".
I stand chastised.

I would insist that blown highlights only make for a bad photo in a rigidly technical sense. From an artistic/aesthetic viewpoint things are certainly much more subjective and purely a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Thanks to the admins here for being so quick to point out my apparently incorrect use of the term "high key".
I stand chastised.

No reason to be upset and to react against the administrators. My reply was not addressed to your comment. In fact I did not even notice that you mentioned 'high key'.

By the way, neither I am trying to beat any record of reply speed to anyone. I reply when I happen to have something to say, and the time to write it down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

No reason to be upset and to react against the administrators. My reply was not addressed to your comment. In fact I did not even notice that you mentioned 'high key'.

Point taken. I'm not upset. I was referring mostly to the comment by MartinSmith99 who is a moderator not an admin so I didn't get that right either. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:

Overexposure is a basic technique which generally makes people look better than if one was trying to show detail in the skin.

Yes.
Also, "overexposure" is a slick concept, because one should always add "with regards to..."
The simplest example, since we are speaking of portraits (not for you of course Mark, I am explaining for newbies):
Human skin of average caucasian subject falls in Zone 6 of Adams system.
Since 18° reflective gray (the standard to which light meters are calibrated) coincides with Zone 5, technically speaking, all photos
that use as reference the skin of the subject and that show it correctly (i.e. in Zone 6), are overexposed.
Funny eh? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a little too overexposed for my personal taste, but the composition is fab for all of them Smile And Kristina looks great Wink