Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Price/quality used Full Frame
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Price/quality used Full Frame Reply with quote

Which is the best bargain to get an used Full Frame DSLR?
Key feature: iso range 100-800 at least

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a used one, sadly, but I'm searching for a sony a850.
Performance up to iso 800 is on par with the 5d mkII, IIRC, and it costed sensibly less when new.
But, as I said, since there seem to be very few used ones around (here in Italy at least), figuring out an average price now is quite hard.
It doesn't have live view, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: WRONG!!! [[[Sony a850 has shortest register -- can adapt the most MF lenses -- but]]] there are more used Canon 5D, first version, in the marketplace. 5D doesn't have live view for critical focusing, however big viewfinder works fine for me.

Last edited by visualopsins on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Sony a850 has shortest register -- can adapt the most MF lenses -- but there are more used Canon 5D, first version, in the marketplace. 5D doesn't have live view for critical focusing, however big viewfinder works fine for me.

I thought it was standard Minolta AF/sony mount, so for manual lenses it's mostly bound to m42's, leitaxed leica R's, tamrons.
No mirror clearance issues, on the other hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Sony a850 has shortest register -- can adapt the most MF lenses -- but there are more used Canon 5D, first version, in the marketplace. 5D doesn't have live view for critical focusing, however big viewfinder works fine for me.

I thought it was standard Minolta AF/sony mount, so for manual lenses it's mostly bound to m42's, leitaxed leica R's, tamrons.
No mirror clearance issues, on the other hand.

My mistake! Sony/Minolta AF 44.6mm, while Canon EOS is 44mm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sony a850 would be a great deal... would be a great deal to find one also, never seen one on used market

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
EDIT: WRONG!!! [[[Sony a850 has shortest register -- can adapt the most MF lenses -- but]]] there are more used Canon 5D, first version, in the marketplace. 5D doesn't have live view for critical focusing, however big viewfinder works fine for me.

The original 5D has to be the best value at around £400.00 used. The a850 doesn't have liveview either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the canon 5d is 12.8 megapixel
the a850 is 24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
the a850 is 24

True, depends how big you want to print your photos. For the cost of an a850 I'd rather get a 5D II so I could use Nikon, Olympus, Contax, Exakta, Leica lenses without having to replace mounts. The 5D classic is brilliant value.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:
the a850 is 24

True, depends how big you want to print your photos. For the cost of an a850 I'd rather get a 5D II so I could use Nikon, Olympus, Contax, Exakta, Leica lenses without having to replace mounts. The 5D classic is brilliant value.

It all depends on how much does the a850 cost: I saw some listings, body only, for €950.
I don't know if the seller were reliable or whatever, but for that price it would be a bargain, imho.

That said, despite being a sony aficionado, if I could get the 850 or the 5dMkII for similar prices, I'd probably get the mkII.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you need it for and what you are going to put on it .. the D700 comes to mind, superb camera.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 100-800 the 5d classic is hands down the best value. you cannot get what i would term pro IQ in FF up to iso800 for less.

i had a 5d and found it did not need 'live view' because many of the mf lens adapters for EF mount (m42, contax c/y) come with focus confirmation chips that work great with the 5d. i relied exclusively on this focus confirmation setup for years and misfocused very very few times.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the recommendations for the 5Dclassic.

It's still an amazing cam and a great performer. The 12 MPix are "very good" megapixels that will give you excellent results.
All the RAW converters are optimized for that cam meanwhile - so no problems there. It can definitely keep pace with much newer 18 or 20 MPix APS cams. And the used ones come at a price that is hard to beat by any DSLR nowadays! Up to ISO 1600 is no problem at all and it's very reliable.

I still have the 5Dclassic and will definitely not buy another fullframe DSLR before the 5D it some day stops to work. I just see no reason to, never mind the excellent 5D Mk II/III, 6D or Nikon D700, D800...

Whenever I put my Leica or Nikkor lenses on the 5Dclassic, my heart starts to jump with bliss. Wink
And my Sigma EX 15-30 gives me a genuine 15mm perspective! That's priceless.

Sometimes, I do not bring the 5Dclassic but not because I'd not like it, but only because I don't want to haul around heavy gear.

The 5D sensor in a cam as compact as the NEX-7, as fast as the V1 and with haptics of the M8 - THAT would be my perfect cam!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D classic!
This is a camera that is rugged enough to work since several years in my hard use.

Furthermore it has very good noise, when ISO is set very high, or post processing is extreme. Some call it "film like".
It works with many many lenses that are adaptable, and even for lens conversion the camera accepts many lenses. Mirror shave could be performed, many people have done this. But most cameras work well after a mirror hit.
There exists list which lenses work without problem on the EOS 5D. Not sure about other manufacturers 24x36mm DSLR cameras and their protrusion acceptance.
Many positive things for manual lens users - the camera is well known and tested with manual lenses.
And there is the easy exchangable EE-S screen.

Furthermore the EOS 5D has pretty good microlenses in terms acceopting fast lenses!
Most if not all newer cameras use fast lenses not as good (microlens shading).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you consider as ok price for a 5d classic?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
What can you consider as ok price for a 5d classic?

Here in Germany it starts for working EOS 5D for 400 Euro, in bad shape (like my old 5D as I bought it some years ago).
And for ~600 Euro you get a good looking EOS 5D, sometimes with low shutter count (only Canon and some workshops can read it, not consumer software), or some guarantee from a professional dealer.

The camera is a workhorse. I love it. And it is a real camera, not a plastic toy Smile
It is not as big as a Nikon F4 or such, but much better than the old Contax 159MM, 139, Yashica FX-D, Canon AE-1 or A1 from the handling quality for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Good to know when i see one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Thank you. Good to know when i see one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-I-Classic-12-8-MP-Digital-SLR-DSLR-Camera-Body-Excellent-/271256587676?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f28270d9c

There is one right here which is cheap. But 5D classic isn't a full frame body, is it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D is FF, yes.

The cheapest FF is the old Kodak DCS Pro 14n, but I don't know how good it is, it's a Nikon film body adapted by Kodak and very big and bulky. You can find them for 300-400ukp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
sometimes with low shutter count (only Canon and some workshops can read it, not consumer software), or some guarantee from a professional dealer.

Just to add, Magic Lantern reads the shutter count. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great. Thanks Gary.
I forgot about ML.