Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

See Helsinki and die!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: See Helsinki and die! Reply with quote

This pic is from my Helsinki series in Digital Gallery.

Orio suggested, that I should try it in B&W. The conversion is made by Capture NX2. The sky is darkened and the bird lightened.

Last edited by Gurdie on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more dramatic! Smaller size also help due I have to scroll down image, shocking part not come immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila!

Attila wrote:
Much more dramatic! Smaller size also help due I have to scroll down image, shocking part not come immediately.

Umm, the pic is same size than original. Do you mean, that it should be smaller?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Thanks, Attila!

Attila wrote:

Umm, the pic is same size than original. Do you mean, that it should be smaller?

Yes, too tall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it a bunch ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul!

I replaced the pic with a smaller one. My own display is only 15", so I had to reduce the size to 600 pix (long side), in order to see the whole pic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painful picture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markku, it's an interesting idea .
Still , there are some composition problems here: the bird is placed too low , IMHO . I think that another angle of shooting ,with the camera placed on a lower point , near the ground ,that should allow placing the bird on the low 1/3 line could bring it in one of the force points of the frame .Otherwise , the eye can go rather on the background .
But here , the principal theme isn't Helsinky , but the bird and the symbolistic of it.
That water that occupies the whole center of the frame is also distracting ,in my opinion.
Maybe it can be solved partially by tweaking perspective in software , I'm not very good at this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theo, thanks for your comments!

Yes, maybe I could have placed the camera on the steps to get closer. I tried to get a pic from the other side, but then the bird was backlit and coulnd´t find a good angle. Somebody could have tried moving the bird to get a better position, not me. Smile

I don´t like the idea of tweaking perspective, however (and I don´t know how to do it).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markku,what lens did you used here ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Zoom-Nikkor 25-50/4, I think it was at 25 mm. The lens has a MFD of 0,6 meters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: See Helsinki and die! Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:

Orio suggested, that I should try it in B&W. The conversion is made by Capture NX2. The sky is darkened and the bird lightened.

Yes, very good! I was right Laughing Wink
I would have done without the darkening of the sky however (or would have done it less noticeable).