Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 21/4: Houses, flowers, glow and flare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 21/4: Houses, flowers, glow and flare Reply with quote

Hi!

This lens feels great and works great, but costs 5-7 times as much as the Tamron 21/4.5 Adapt-A-Matic. It's better, but not quite that much better. Like most ultra-wide angle lenses, flare is a problem... but with this lens, the flare can actually be kind of pretty, as shown. Microcontrast is excellent, so focusing accurately is easy for this class of lens.

0. The lens

Here are some samples, all taken with Olympus OM-D E-M5, on a sunny day, at f4-f8:

1. Pink flower with backlighting glow. f4

2. Another pink flower with backlighting glow. Minimum focusing distance. f5.6

3. Yellow house. f8

4. Yellow house, 100% crop. f8

5. Ivy with sand. Minimum focusing distance. f5.6

6. House construction. With somewhat pretty flare. (Yes, I had the proper hood on.) f8

7. House construction. Without flare, lens shaded with my hand. f8

8. The white house. You can't tell from the jpeg down-scaling, but the edges of the roof tiles are all in good focus, wow! f8

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check for corner sharpness and distortion.
The center sharpness seems quite good for this class of lens. Maybe its competitive with the Flektogon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had in past too I did test it with Panasonic G1 or Olympus E-1 don't remember exactly. I agree fully with above opinions. I sold mine after test, later I bought all black F4 and f2.8 both are perform beautifully on Sony NEX and film.

Last edited by Attila on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: THEY LOOK FINE Reply with quote

Everything looks good except the one shot with the earthmover which has a lot of flare in the
upper right. Is the lens single coated or multicoated???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: THEY LOOK FINE Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Everything looks good except the one shot with the earthmover which has a lot of flare in the
upper right. Is the lens single coated or multicoated???

Single.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I prefer to buy only multicoated lenses for wide angles and zooms, both of which have a lot of
air glass surfaces (groups) due to flare problems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: THEY LOOK FINE Reply with quote

Hi!

hifisapi wrote:
upper right.

This would not have been an easy shot for any lens. The sun was very bright, fairly low in the sky, and only a little bit out of the frame of the m43 sensor. But the sun was almost certainly fully within the lens' view, though clearly not in the m43 sensor's frame. This is possible due to the 2x m43 crop factor. I appreciate you--likely inadvertently--alerting me to a danger of using legacy slr lenses on crop sensors that I hadn't though of until now.

Cheers!