Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Game: mobile picture of the week
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Game: mobile picture of the week Reply with quote

Most of us carry our phones or a tablet with us all the time. The cameras in our mobile devices are getting better and better and some rival the quality of medium priced compact cameras. We have a wonderful opportunity to train our photographic abilities by learning to use the tool that we have with us at almost all times.

I propose a new game, a weekly competition "mobile picture of the week"

The rules:
- the image can be captured with any mobile device
- a maximum of three images per participant and week
- any form of image manipulation is allowed
- no picture mining (use of old pictures)
- the pictures have to be taken by the person who participates in the competiton
- deadline is Monday every week
- pictures can be exchanged until the deadline
- last weeks winner picks the winner and two runner ups
- the winner can motivate his choices but he can also choose not to
- just to start things off, I will be the judge of the first weeks picture
- constructive critisism is encouraged

This is also a good time to discuss the rules, they can of course be changed if needed.

Good luck, and please start posting!

Last edited by Pontus on Mon May 12, 2014 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start by posting three pictures that I took with my Lumia 1020 today. The images have been edited with Snapseed.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pontus.

Photos taken with Sony Ericsson XPeria Arc S (8MP sensor).
Images edited with Snapseed.
Swiss solar cells' boat "Planet Solar" in Boulogne-sur-Mer harbor.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Olivier, the seagull is just perfect in that shot. And those boats make very interesting subjects. Nice work!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have my 5D MkII or Pen E-P2 with me, so...
I understand the words "the best cam is the one you have with you". In that case it was the smartphone.
But I do prefer real cams. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why the sales of compacts had dropped with image quality as good as this.

Of course a picture is only as good as the photographer - whatever the camera. Great photos.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deadline is today but there is still plenty of time to submit. Why not take a picture rigt now Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my entry. All from the iPhone5.

image by bhargav dave, on Flickr

Untitled by bhargav dave, on Flickr

Untitled by bhargav dave, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first mobile picture of the week has been chosen by me and I went for bhargavs third picture which is framed nicely. I also like the pastel colours and that a lot of shadow information is visible in the image. This is from Suomenlinna, right?

The choice was not an obvious one, I almost went with Oliviers image with the seagull which is very nice as well.

Since I gave myself the right to choose this weeks winners I decided to also point to my first image (b&w) of the masts and the sailing boats since I was amazed by the detail and the tonality that I was able to acchieve.

So well done everyone and congratulations!

I hope that this thread will gain popularity, please bhargav try to remember to announce a winner next wednesday.

The winning mobile picture of the week by bhargav:

Untitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/58547200@N00/][/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Barghav. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Pontus! Sorry I didn't check back yesterday as I was busy with some work. Yes this is from Suomenlinna. I also like your B&W and Olivier's seagull shot. You can't beat a Nokia 1020 41mp sensor for sure!

I will put it in my diary to announce a winner next Wednesday.

Quote:
Congrats Barghav. Very Happy

Thanks Olivier!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to post new mobile pictures. The subject is free and you have your tool with you so go ahead and be creative.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(replying to remind me to participate) Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question: I understand we are to take the photo with a mobile device, is the editing also to be done on the mobile device?
Meaning, you can't take an image from your phone and edit it in Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop, etc.
Is that right? That's how I'm reading this and I agree with it, if that's the case.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gary.
The rule says : "any form of image manipulation is allowed".

I understood that we can manipulate and post process them on computer with any software we want.
I used Snapseed for mine.

I understand also that these rules can be discussed and changed, as it is the beginning.
Maybe it can be stressed that pictures uploaded here must be raw out of the phone, meaning that all manipulations would be done in the phone with free apps such as befunky or retro camera.

Pontus, what do you say about that precise point ? Smile

For instance, I did that, direct in phone, with retro camera last year :

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that we look at the mobile device as a camera. Meaning that any program, either in-camera or computer based can be used for editing. This would allow RAW processing of images taken with devices that support the format.

My original idea was simple. We should learn to use the one photographic tool that we have with us every day. It is about seizing the moment. The processing is of secondary importance in my opinion. Or rather, the output should be as good as possible but how we arrive at the destination doesn't matter. We want to show what can be done with a mobile device. With the help of some knowledge and creativity.

What do you guys think?

Btw, nice pictures. That last one is very impressive Olivier!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the 2 seagulls on the public lights.
My daughter was taking photos with her Canon dslr and I only had the Sony Ericsson mobile phone with me.
So... I launched Retro camera to give it a try and had some fun.
I was surprised by the results.
Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.
Here are my 3 pictures, shot today with my Sony Ercsson XPeria Arc S and processed in the phone with Befunky app.
First 2 are from an old inner wooden shutter.
3rd is on one of my parents walls and I don't know what it is.
Does anybody know ? It is made of metal (iron I think), there is a middle-age cross in the top circle, what seems to be a warrior with a cemetery (strange with a croos above), 2 birds and some wheels.

Last edited by Olivier on Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very late entry. I'm on vacation in Podgora, Croatia and haven't really had time to think about the competition. Btw, there doesn't seem to be much interest. Let's keep going for a week or two and see if the situation improves...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note, as I am in San Francisco, I will announce the winner tonight or latest by tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, please post some scottish pictures Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the entries, I announce Olivier's #1 the winner. I also like Pontus's image a lot, it would make a very nice postcard too, goes on to show what modern phone cameras can do. Olivier's entry is abstract and has also been modified with the mobile app. It makes an interesting image with good composition and colour.

We really need more participants! Come on guys, I'm sure you all have mobile phones which have cameras, and this is a pretty good challenge to shoot with what you have.

Congrats Olivier, on to you for next week's winner!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bhargav.
I'll choose next week's winner. Smile

Ladies and gents, please post fine phone pictures. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Gary, please post some scottish pictures Wink

I completely forgot about this.

I'm not sure I want to share what I consider to be crap photos from my phone. I have tried to get good shots from it but I don't think it's possible. The lens and sensor are not up to the job (it's a Nexus 4). It doesn't matter which editing app I use because, as we like to say over here, you can't polish a turd.
Combine this with our typical Scottish weather and it's a steep uphill battle to capture something half decent looking.

Sorry guys but I can't raise enough enthusiasm (or find the time) to try to capture crap. Sad