Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

redundant to have 2 macro?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: redundant to have 2 macro? Reply with quote

I'm thinking if I should get a kiron 105 even though I already have the nikkor 55. I'm just scared that I'm mostly going to use the kiron and let my nikkor 55 gather dust.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 105 will give you more working room than the 55, they could be a great 2 lens kit, and both should be sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different FL mean different purpose. 105mm to catch shy insect, keep farther distance. But longer lens make focusing more difficult.
I have Kiron 105 and Volna 50/2,8. and there's Rodenstock rodagon enlarger for macro which is excellent. redundant? so what? each lenses has different character Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem,redundant to have 2 macro lens? never! Laughing i have 18 different dedicated macro lenses not counting close focusing ones and always looking for more

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 - I have several plus many enlarging lenses. Each is different

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many...... Laughing

That's the pleasure, trying different lenses and comparing them, picking a lens to suit your needs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
ahem,redundant to have 2 macro lens? never! Laughing i have 18 different dedicated macro lenses not counting close focusing ones and always looking for more

Pretty much the same here, I've already lost count.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
You can never have too many...... Laughing

That's the pleasure, trying different lenses and comparing them, picking a lens to suit your needs.

Correct. I have several telephoto lenses close in focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone on this forum is going to tell you it's redundant to have the same focal length twice or the same lens type (Macro in this case) twice. Most people on here have at least ten 50mm's and a couple 135mm's and they don't seem to mind.

Personally I don't like having the same focal length (nor can I afford it really...), so I just buy and sell them to test them out. That way I get to shoot with a lot of different lenses, but don't have a lot of lenses sitting on my shelf unused.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
different FL mean different purpose. 105mm to catch shy insect, keep farther distance. But longer lens make focusing more difficult.
I have Kiron 105 and Volna 50/2,8. and there's Rodenstock rodagon enlarger for macro which is excellent. redundant? so what? each lenses has different character Very Happy

+1 easier to shoot with shorter focal length and not easy to handle 1:1 macro at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have a serious macro lens problem until the total number gets up past 50 or even 100. Smile

The shorter ones are good for higher magnifications (up to 5x or more), and the longer ones give you nice working distance, but normally at a lower magnification.

(BTW, I have 12 bellows-type macro lenses and 9 "regular" ones, from 20 to 200mm focal length.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
I don't think you have a serious macro lens problem until the total number gets up past 50 or even 100. Smile

The shorter ones are good for higher magnifications (up to 5x or more), and the longer ones give you nice working distance, but normally at a lower magnification.

(BTW, I have 12 bellows-type macro lenses and 9 "regular" ones, from 20 to 200mm focal length.)

I never was interested in macro work. I prefer people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: different focal lengths, different purposes Reply with quote

I have Pentax macro lenses, both 50 and 100mm fl. I use both. the 50 is good for general purpose and larger items
whereas the 100mm is good for tiny items.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/320978275006?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I just want to let you guys know that I hate you all very much, and you'll make me go broke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I just bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/320978275006?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I just want to let you guys know that I hate you all very much, and you'll make me go broke.

hey...Kiron Price's always high
you might want to check Volna9 55/2,8 too Razz , it give smooth and star shape bokeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the lester dine kiron 105mm f2.8 lens and its killer sharp. goes to 1:1.
enjoy yours!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard people that can shoot higher than 1:1. how do you do it? use a extension tube? magnifier so it double my focal length?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

I'd love to see an overview and your comments on your favorite five.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I have heard people that can shoot higher than 1:1. how do you do it? use a extension tube? magnifier so it double my focal length?

ways to get magnification higher than 1:1 are:
-using extensions tubes
-using macro teleconverter
-using macro bellows
-reversing the lens (either on it's own or attaching second lens reversed on another lens)
-adding diopter lenses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

I'd love to see an overview and your comments on your favorite five.

that would be an undertaking making side-by-side comparison of all my lenses that can do macro...well, i'm that nuts, that i might just do that Smile

at the moment my top 5 dedicated macro lenses wolud be:
Olympus 90mm/2 - i believe fastest macro lens around in it's focal length, only wished it did 1:1 natively
Olympus 50mm/2 - same as above , can double as regular prime lens
Vivitar 90mm/2.8 - goes 1:1, has a long focusing throw that allows very fine tuned focusing
Macro-Takumar 50mm/4 - smallest macro lens i have along it's successor Super-Macro-Takumar, but this one goes natively to 1:1 and Super-Macro-Takumar doesn't
Yashinon 60mm/2.8 - goes 1:1 , made by Tomioka and has a well deserved reputation

honorable mention:
Micro-Nikkor 200mm/4 - longest macro lens i have, can double as a long telephoto, gives good working distance, but goes only to 1:2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: enlarging lenses on bellows tough to beat Reply with quote

I have a pentax m42 bellows and have adapted some enlarging lenses for macro shooting.
the most incredible sharpness I have ever seen was from a particular nikon el nikkor 135mm
f5.6 MC lens mounted on the macro bellows. WOW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nobody on this forum will ever be rich! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way better than money in the bank. The value goes up and unlike money in the bank you get to use them all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many macro lenses?? no such thing, I have 12 that are 50mm -180mmf2.5 (tamron) some 35-40 enlarger lenses,6 bellows combinations, helicoids,converters,softars,extension tubes, in abundance and anything i can put on bellows.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

at the moment my top 5 dedicated macro lenses wolud be:
Olympus 90mm/2 - i believe fastest macro lens around in it's focal length, only wished it did 1:1 natively
Olympus 50mm/2 - same as above , can double as regular prime lens
Vivitar 90mm/2.8 - goes 1:1, has a long focusing throw that allows very fine tuned focusing
Macro-Takumar 50mm/4 - smallest macro lens i have along it's successor Super-Macro-Takumar, but this one goes natively to 1:1 and Super-Macro-Takumar doesn't
Yashinon 60mm/2.8 - goes 1:1 , made by Tomioka and has a well deserved reputation

honorable mention:
Micro-Nikkor 200mm/4 - longest macro lens i have, can double as a long telephoto, gives good working distance, but goes only to 1:2

Thanks for that! Is the Olympus 50mm/2 a macro lens or just a prime that has a good CFD?
I hear great things about the Olympus 90mm/2 but too pricey for me. I do have the Oly 85/2 and use it with tubes.

My faves are:
Contax Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 (replaced my Micro-Nikkor 55/2.Cool.
Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8
I use some other non designated lenses too for their unusual rendering.