Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

smc Pentax 200mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: smc Pentax 200mm f4 Reply with quote

A beautiful lens - light, excellent construction, smooth dampened focus and built in hood. One wonders if the 200mm can be so small, why is the 300mm so big and heavy!

It is also a lens not easy to love. It does not sharpen up too much if stopped down. In very good light it will give a good image but will struggle in low light- a lot.

Two images- both had to be sharpened in post.

Any other user out there who can share his experience please?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smc pentax light enough if used in nex?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvplovers wrote:
smc pentax light enough if used in nex?

I would think it is, but if lightness is of outmost concern then better try the preset Takumar f5.6/200mm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

I have the Pentax M 200mm f4. As the M version is slightly better, I never own the older versions of it.

The M 200/4 is very sharp. About the same size/weight of any 200mm f4, which means light and compact.
Using on a pentax dslr body with SR on is easy handhold, but you definitely need a focus screen to aid focus.

This lens and the Olympus OM 200/4 mc are both superb, and both are under rated lenses.
They had been more common and cheap few years back, but now I haven't seen one for sale locally last 18 months.

Using on nex? yes, but i prefer SR for longer than 135mm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: M 200mm f4 Reply with quote

Thanks friends.

Yes it is light... barely 400 gms. And works well (again in good light) with the Pentax 1.7X AF TC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and compared both the earlier smc pentax and the later smc pentax-m versions of the
lens and the earlier one is superior optically.. Its not quite as small and light as the m version though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens, but no built in hood? Very good lens and my is quite sharp.
200mm is too long for me, so I'm selling it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: More Sample images- SMCP M 200mm f4 Reply with quote

Shifting to gallery

Last edited by ariban on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful living images, better to post them in Gallery , they are well deserve it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Attila Reply with quote

My apologies. Will shift them .

Arijit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Attila Reply with quote

ariban wrote:
My apologies. Will shift them .

Arijit

Np, I think just way better than show a lens and talk about them.