Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three portrait lenses around 85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Three portrait lenses around 85mm Reply with quote

I've wanted to make this comparison for a while, and although it is not comprehensive by far, it is one small comparison. I had started the test with four lenses, one being the Cyclop, but leave that out here because this series is comparing the first common aperture - f/2.8. I'll just post the images now and identify the lenses later after folks have had a chance to comment, although those that have seen my posts will have some idea of the lenses I have. These are 100% crops with no processing other than what the camera does internally. For the record, my exposure is set at -.3.

Lens A

Lens B

Lens C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know but I prefer the 3rd.

Last edited by ellepi on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what the lenses are but I'll fight ellepi for No. 3 Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I have no clue what the lenses are but I'll fight ellepi for No. 3 Laughing
Thats fighting talk!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 3 reminds me of Minolta colours etc but I don't think you have one so I'll go for the Konica for that one

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also #3 for me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 looks best to me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see I'm gonna have to fight a lot people for number 3 Rolling Eyes

Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 for me too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I can see I'm gonna have to fight a lot people for number 3 Rolling Eyes

Laughing

I'll go with #1 then Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a very good idea what the lenses are. #1 is the fastest, #3 is a clear winner for me, but that's not too surprising in this shot considering that it's a great macro (if I am not mistaken on lenses). The pecking order might change if one tries a portrait or a distant shot as a test target.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one might be the Hexanon, due to hexagon shape
The last one might be the J9, still perfect circle.

There are different bokeh rending for different distances.
Shot 2 might have different result in other cases.
More photos from all 3?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

More photos from all 3?

I would guess that if one of them was made with J-9 that it would be #2, due slightly "russian colors"
Third seem to have very good coatings etc., so I guess #3 is a newer lens.

Can someone give a hint which lenses come into question?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer '3. But none is really in focus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Can someone give a hint which lenses come into question?

You can just search recent woodrim's posts... Wink

My guess is that #1 is Hexanon, #2 is a Jupiter. I thought that #3 is a Bokina, but now I have some doubts as woodrim called them "portrait" lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep everyone hanging; I was out all day today. Well, there are some good guesses and fermy should not have second guessed as he had all correct. I said portrait more because of the focal length than any other intended purpose. hoanpham correctly identified the first as Hexanon 85/1.8, but fell down on the J-9. I do agree, hoanpham, that other shots are required for a fair comparison. ForenSeil recognized the J-9 by color tone - good work! And while he is also right about number 3 being newer, it certainly isn't new; after all, the J-9 is 1961.

agent_cooper: I was pretty confident that I had them in focus, but I will admit there was a breeze and I too have some doubt, so please consider this series as bokeh test.

I do believe I need to do this in different settings. For these I chose a busy background with plenty of specular highlights, but the next ones will be a more stable subject and at different distances. I could do some at wide open, but since they're all different, it may not prove much.

A- Konica Hehanon 85/1.8
B- Jupiter-9 85/2
C- Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro (Bokina) Focal length is reported to be really 87mm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

More photos from all 3?

I guessed the same about the 1rst, and I agree with agent cooper, 'coz Hexanon at f2,8 is really sharp (at least my copy)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny about the Jupiter-9 bokeh.
I went through all photos taken by the J9, and found my bokeh is quite soft, none of my photos look like yours.
I had both close range and portrait distances.

The Hexanon is sharp too, but the Vivitar is very good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is just so dependent on distance to subject, distance behind subject, etc. I'll do more of this and also make sure I have a perfect focus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_cooper wrote:
i prefer '3. But none is really in focus

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice result from the Vivitar and that's about what I expect from the J9; it's a good lens but I've never seen anything I'd consider sharp from it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Nice result from the Vivitar and that's about what I expect from the J9; it's a good lens but I've never seen anything I'd consider sharp from it.

Don't forget these are 100% crops. Sharpness is inferior but usable for normal usage. My personally biggest issue with the J-9 is not the sharpness (at least not stopped down) but the very poor colors I know well also from other russian lenses of that generation.

I wonder if the last batches of J-9/J-8 have better colors due better coatings?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe on film there are issues with J-9 colors, on digital I am quite happy with them. I acquired J-9 ( Black, Contax RF, made in 82) quite recently, so I am still learning it. My observation is that it's not the sharpest lens at large apertures and will probably lose on resolution charts to most good Japanese 85mm. However, it is a completely different animal for portraiture: very nice smooth rendering, not too sharp and not too soft, just right for portraits. Perhaps colors are also optimized for skin tones.

What I definitely don't like about it is an aperture ring and filter thread rotating on focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that russian lenses have mixed quality. My copy is ok. Sharp enough for my uses.
One thing that can affect the focus is few 1/10mm focus play; it's not precise as japanese or zeiss.
Close range should not affect the focus, but a bit longer range than portraits would result in misfocus due to that minor movement in the helicoid.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see more samples.