Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zebra Zeiss Jena Sonnar 3.5/135mm aperture repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Zebra Zeiss Jena Sonnar 3.5/135mm aperture repair Reply with quote

I've obtained a Sonnar with stuck aperture blades (enormous amount of gunk). Can anyone point me to a good guide for this lens. I can probably easily get the optical block out. However, I have two questions.

1. Does one unscrew the optical block from the front (like with Flektogon) or from the back? If from the front, then the front part of the focus ring (with zebra stripes) unscrews, right?

2. Once the optical block is out, what's the most efficient way to get to the blades?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, please don't be shy. I am sure many around here tended to an ailing Zebra Sonnar at some point...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Folks, please don't be shy. I am sure many around here tended to an ailing Zebra Sonnar at some point...

Might be of some help:-
I had stuck blades on CZJ 35mm flek and 135mm Sonnar (both non Zebra) and from the back just unscrew the larger screws of the M42 mount and take this off and you can add the lighter fuel in places while you can operate a small lever to open and close the blades...sooo easy to do as when the blades stuck on holiday I took the flek apart to get the blades working (as if stored wide open they stick)....but my problem is not gunk on the blades but because of not being used for many years (if at all).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I already did open the back part and found that there is a hearty layer of gunk on the blades. It looks as if someone spread the lubricant over the blades to make them operate smoother Laughing

Without operating the lever with considerable force the blades wouldn't move at all. I don't think I can fix that by working the lighter fluid in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen (pictures) how to dismantle the blades somewhere of a similar model but can't find the link, but you could start here:-

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/19687.html

"Thanks for the response. I did manage to find a service manual for CZJ lenses on Rick Oleson's site and it includes a great mechanical cross section of the model I have. You are right, the rear element just unscrews inside its tube once you get the rear internal lens hood off. With the rear element out I was able to use cotton buds to swab clean the aperture and it now seems to work fine. This was a very simple job to do with no real tricky disassembly or reassembly."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I did have the hood off, but couldn't unscrew the rear element. But now that I reread this sentence, I've realized that I've been an idiot. I tried to twist the whole back of the optical block off, while the rear element is screwed into it. Bingo! Will try that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!

My first instinct was right, apparently I just were too gentle. Opened from the rear, unscrewed the rear hood, then unscrewed the rear lens group that was covered by the hood. Couldn't take the aperture out for flood cleaning, but cleaning the backside with alcohol fuel unclogged the mechanism. There are still traces of gunk on the blades, but the aperture is very snappy, like a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Success!

My first instinct was right, apparently I just were too gentle. Opened from the rear, unscrewed the rear hood, then unscrewed the rear lens group that was covered by the hood. Couldn't take the aperture out for flood cleaning, but cleaning the backside with alcohol fuel unclogged the mechanism. There are still traces of gunk on the blades, but the aperture is very snappy, like a new one.

So you can access the blades without touching the infinity focus setting screw? I had been hesitant to follo the instructions in the link for a long time, as I'm not exactl keen on messing up infinity focus, even though my lens is affected by sticky aperture blades now and then, when I forget to reset it to minimum aperture after use.

I'll give this a shot following your approach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You can do so without touching anything of essence. I was taking off the stop down levers to get easier access to the rear element, but it turned out unnecessary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Yes. You can do so without touching anything of essence. I was taking off the stop down levers to get easier access to the rear element, but it turned out unnecessary.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try then.