Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Set of JIS screw drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Set of JIS screw drivers Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a decent set of these please. General lens and camera repair sizes, but in particular Canon AE1 and A1. Also is there a preferred spanner wrench for lens repairs that you would recommend.
Thanks

Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen screwdrivers specifically for JIS screws. (They must exist, but probably only in Japan). I get by with good quality Philips drivers from Facom. They are not a perfect fit, so you have to be careful. A good handle on the driver is essential so you push firmly into the screw to stop the driver camming out. Make sure the head of the screw is clean and lubricate the screw thread with a drop of isopropyl alcohol if it is stubborn.

This lens wrench is pretty decent and good value Click here to see on Ebay

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Set of JIS screw drivers Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent set of these please. General lens and camera repair sizes, but in particular Canon AE1 and A1. Also is there a preferred spanner wrench for lens repairs that you would recommend.
Thanks

Steve.

Probably the best source of JIS screwdrivers outside of Japan is Micro-Tools. It's a US outfit, but they now have a European site (in English and German), thanks to which one can save on shipping costs and customs fees, as the tools aren't cheap: http://www.micro-tools.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the lens wrench link Mark, I have seen Cross point drivers but i always seem to make a ballsup when looking for stuff like this, so thought i would ask here first. i have a bit of a shutter squeel on my new canon A1 and want to have a go at lubricating it but don't want to damage the screws as its immaculate.

Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Canon A-1 Squeal -- Reply with quote

I was given a Canon A-1 which had been in a loft for 7 years since the owner died -- it had the famous Canon Squeal -- well, I read up a LOT about it and looked at you tubes about it -- I found on a forum about the 'MAPLIN Spectacle Repair Kit' for about £2-50 and a MAPLIN branch just opened here in Brentwood High Street so I rushed round there and a bloke found the kit and I found a small scewdriver with a pointy thing which FITS the Japanese screws all for £ 2-50 -- and after a lot of trying I lubricated my A-1 with 'Three-in-One' oil - ONE DROP only on the end of a piece of electrical fuse-wire I passed down the space in the base-plate-- since I have read on Forums NOT to use '3-in-one' oil as it is supposed to dry leaving a 'sticky mess' but I have not found anything on further checking inside the base-plate and I also touched LESS than one drop of oil into the cogs and pivots with my fuse-wire and it winds on better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered some electrical contact lubrication stuff from RS as recommended by lloydy plus a 11 piece watchmakers screwdriver set. I also ordered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZQBYRS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item,

and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400586931572&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160 for lens butchery

So I recon that squeal is doomed.

On the lookout for a mint AE1 program now Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
Well I ordered some electrical contact lubrication stuff from RS as recommended by lloydy plus a 11 piece watchmakers screwdriver set. I also ordered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZQBYRS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item,

and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400586931572&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160 for lens butchery

So I recon that squeal is doomed.

On the lookout for a mint AE1 program now Smile

........or A1 ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've got a mint A1 and a superb AE1, I bet i end up with the whole series, so cheap, why not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Moody Tools 58-0219 and it's just that - decent. It has 4 screwdrivers, from #000 to #1, of which you realistically only need #0 and #00, the tips are very hard, but non-magnetic, which at times is great, but at other times is total PITA, handles are metal, and are fairly convenient until you encounter something which requires torque. I ended up supplementing the set with a couple of Megadora drivers, which are very nice except that the difference between 00 and 0 is too large for my taste. Eventually I also plan to get a driver with a torque bar and have words "Nikkor Buster" engraved on it, but it's a different story.
Re: spanner. I have two - regular black from Micro-Tools, and double sided Chinese one off e-bay. Neither is an answer for anybody prayers, but they get the job done. Most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can´t recommend JIS screwsdrivers enough. They are so much better than Phillips head screwdrivers when it comes to working on lenses. For dealing with thread locker/glue, I use clean naphta dropped sparingly around the screw and then wait for a minute or two to let it work.

I know that Vivitar recommend using acetone on their thread locker/glue (they glue the name ring in place, for instance, which is quite uncommon), but naphta also worked fine.

As a makeshift lens spanner, a caliper is actually quite handy. Preferrably one that can be locked in position. Since it's so "short" you keep your hand close to the lens and can thus excert much force without it starting to wiggle (which can be the case with "proper" spanners, which you grab/hold further away from the thing you're trying to unscrew). I recommend holding the caliper/spanner still and rotate the lens instead, to minimize the risk of slipping.

Remove front ring by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon / Micro Tools have got the sets of four USA made Moody Tools JIS screwdrivers at a good price of £16-89 at the moment - plus £5 P+P which is a bit steep, but you gotta live with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JIS-Type-Driver-Set-Pollicis/dp/B004ZQBYRS/ref=sr_1_9?m=A3KY5TH59FPY5P&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1396427221&sr=1-9#productDetails

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Screwdrivers-oxid/Individual/JIS-Type/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-Pollicis.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the set i went for, should arrive soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
I can´t recommend JIS screwsdrivers enough. They are so much better than Phillips head screwdrivers when it comes to working on lenses. For dealing with thread locker/glue, I use clean naphta dropped sparingly around the screw and then wait for a minute or two to let it work.

I know that Vivitar recommend using acetone on their thread locker/glue (they glue the name ring in place, for instance, which is quite uncommon), but naphta also worked fine.

As a makeshift lens spanner, a caliper is actually quite handy. Preferrably one that can be locked in position. Since it's so "short" you keep your hand close to the lens and can thus excert much force without it starting to wiggle (which can be the case with "proper" spanners, which you grab/hold further away from the thing you're trying to unscrew). I recommend holding the caliper/spanner still and rotate the lens instead, to minimize the risk of slipping.

Remove front ring by scepticswe, on Flickr

Blu-tak will do the job too if you make a snake of it round the lens and turn the whole thing while pressing it in to the palm of your hand. It will not damage the metal and if it smears on the lens it will just rub off.

Oh, btw dont use Philips screwdrivers, they have that extra cross and the driver will not reach the bottom of the screw head. Use plain cross heads.

Philips are designed to pop out if too much torque is applied.