Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gazania multispectral using a simple quartz singlet lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Gazania multispectral using a simple quartz singlet lens Reply with quote

This is a Gazania rigens flower shot using a custom made up UV lens from a simple quartz lens singlet, stopped down at around f16 (estimated as no scale). This was a test for a friend who was curious if sharp images could be reached - which I had promised.

VIS:

Simulated Bee Vision V3:

Simulated Bee Vision V2:

UV:

Missed the focus at the visible shot a bit, sorry.

As you may notice, the center is quite sharp, but of course the more outside it gets, the more the blur increases. For flowers this can actually be quite nice (for my taste).

And here you have the comparison as a quadriptych VIS-UV-BV2-BV3:

Well, what says you? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the UV one. Looks fearsome.
I say that you misfocused the VIS one. That is, the leaf is in focus not the flower. If you wanted like that, mea culpa.
As a plant, amazingly beautiful.
Hand held?

PS
As usual I managed finally to read the last line, the misfocused one. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Real quartz?

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing from a singlet !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a real fused silica singlet (modern production, not real cut quartz - but I have such lenses).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results - as always
the BV´s are my favs
btw, how do you communicate with the bee´s to know which one see´s 2 and which 3 ? or is it different types of bees going to different flower colors ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! My XBV filters are still experimental, so the last digit stands for some sort of "evolution". I'm still tuning them...
Bees only see UV, blue and green (and a tad red), butterflies and some birds however see UV, blue, green and red, so
XBV stands for simulated bee vision as well as simulated butterfly or bird vision XBV filters allow to simulate both, depending on type.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot another set, flower placed into the center, higher magnification, otherwise unchanged setup

Normal visual shot VIS:

Simulated Bee Vision V3:

Simulated Bee Vision V2:

Ultraviolet:

In my opinion this central placement is the best way to use this lens singlet, as it minimizes the visible blur.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick!

Made a few different shots yesterday outside in sunlight, also using Gazanias, here one "contra lucem"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising pictures; you didn't promise too much!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Here's another one...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Where did you find the singlet?/Who made it?
Came it with aperture?