Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 Pentax-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 Pentax-Q Reply with quote

This lens is strange. M23 thread mount, not M25 c-mount! I have to press it into a 5mm M25 extension ring and then adapt it on my Pentax-Q with a c-mount to PQ adapter. Focusing is by turning the M25 extension slightly. The 5mm moving distance is sufficient to cover from 1M to infinity! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive lens. Great color saturation and seems to have good sharpness.

So I googled "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and got a couple of hits at B&H Photo/Video. Whew! That's a pricey lens, ain't it? By the way, the one B&H has is a C-mount, not M23. They also have an APO version, which I guess is different from what you have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

So I googled "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and got a couple of hits at B&H Photo/Video. Whew! That's a pricey lens, ain't it? By the way, the one B&H has is a C-mount, not M23. They also have an APO version, which I guess is different from what you have.

Not pricey at all. US$25 ending bid (plus US$30 postage) purchased via eBay. I had no idea on how the lens might perform when I placed my bid. Fortunately it turns out to be a good performer! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kds315*"]Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q[/quote]

Agree. But with its approx 11mm registration distance, I have no other camera available to achieve inifinity focus. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Not pricey at all. US$25 ending bid (plus US$30 postage) purchased via eBay. I had no idea on how the lens might perform when I placed my bid. Fortunately it turns out to be a good performer! Smile

Okay now you've aroused my curiosity. The Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 in C-mount over at B&H is being sold for US $1,376.50. See it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46319-REG/Schneider_21_010425_21_010425_Xenoplan_23_mm.html

If yours is the same -- so what if the mount is different as long as you can adapt. If yours is the same -- it seems to me that you got an unbelievably good deal.

But you know what? I do an eBay search on "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and I get a bunch of hits, most of which aren't the same lens, but most are similar as to format at least. Which is C-mount video and movie cameras. Lots of fast lenses got picked up on this search, and most of them are being sold for relatively little -- most likely compared to what they sold for new.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q

Agree. But with its approx 11mm registration distance, I have no other camera available to achieve inifinity focus. Smile

Certainly a plus for that camera!! I have some nice D-mount lenses here incl. a SWITAR f0.9 that would be the ideal match.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ferrick wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Okay now you've aroused my curiosity. The Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 in C-mount over at B&H is being sold for US $1,376.50. See it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46319-REG/Schneider_21_010425_21_010425_Xenoplan_23_mm.html

If yours is the same -- so what if the mount is different as long as you can adapt. If yours is the same -- it seems to me that you got an unbelievably good deal.

But you know what? I do an eBay search on "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and I get a bunch of hits, most of which aren't the same lens, but most are similar as to format at least. Which is C-mount video and movie cameras. Lots of fast lenses got picked up on this search, and most of them are being sold for relatively little -- most likely compared to what they sold for new.

The link below shows the lens that I purchased. Not sure if it is the ones you refered to that cost US $1,376.50 !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281043829964?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1429wt_1170

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . you know one thing that ad points out is it is a "special" f/4 version. Maybe that's why it's cheaper? It looks different from the one at B&H -- at least the exterior does. The lens formula may be the same . . . except for the f/4 part, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hmmm . . . you know one thing that ad points out is it is a "special" f/4 version. Maybe that's why it's cheaper? It looks different from the one at B&H -- at least the exterior does. The lens formula may be the same . . . except for the f/4 part, I suppose.

No! I am sure it is a f/1.4, not a f/4 version. It is very bright. Most of the photos were taken in a very cloudy early morning and some even at night time. Most were at ISO400 and all handheld. I do not have such a steady hand to produce sharp photos like these ones under such conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider, Rodenstock and other CCTV/machine vision lens manufacturers as well make lenses with special mounts or special fixed f-stop for industrial applications - those are most time cheaper to manufacture than for example the normal iris.

The Apo version of this lens is also quite nice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Schneider, Rodenstock and other CCTV/machine vision lens manufacturers as well make lenses with special mounts or special fixed f-stop for industrial applications - those are most time cheaper to manufacture than for example the normal iris.

The Apo version of this lens is also quite nice.

Thanks for the information. Smile