Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does this work as foreground interest? C+C please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Does this work as foreground interest? C+C please Reply with quote

Does this image work?
Does it create sufficient interest or is the use of Bokeh to distracting
this was a Zenitar F1.7 wide open

No borders and level adjusted

Last edited by eddieitman on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly, beautiful image!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it, though i do think 'creamier' bokeh would work better. if i might respectfully suggest cropping some of the side bushes out of the photo. i think that would be less distracting, create more drama with the pathway and bring us just a tad closer to the subject leaf, all of which i think might be positive for the overall impact.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rbellyel thankyou, I have tried another crop as suggested

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like both! Embarassed what do you think?
tony
ps i do think i like the cropped version better, a little more dramatic and intimate...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cropped version is definitely superior.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncropped first one works better compostionally, the sides of the boardwalk draw the eye deeper into the photo.

The bokeh looks nice to my eyes, not too busy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Uncropped first one works better compostionally, the sides of the boardwalk draw the eye deeper into the photo.

The bokeh looks nice to my eyes, not too busy.

+1.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either crop works for me but something in my mind wants the whole scene to be more central.

Bonus point for the best use of selective colouring I've seen this year. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for the comments, Sonicscott you flatter me Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the original but I'd lose the bevels. Also it seen the BG pier end is too high up in the frame by a little bit.

Nice-ish selective color and DOF!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me disturb only I have to scroll down blured area to get sharp center, once is done and I not look only top part , this is a great picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first version, too, but lose the bevel and level...heheh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I like the first version, too, but lose the bevel and level...heheh.

I'm in the same league.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice image for sure, but I wouldn't qualify it as "foreground interest" image the way I think you mean it to. You have a foreground, yes, but the foreground is supposed to draw the attention to the background. What backround? By using a large aperture you don't have a background which actually is supposed to be the main subject in an "foreground interest" picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent image, I might have in retrospect chosen to shoot it a few inches to the left to make the pathway lines converge in the center for extra drama.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have moved the leaf off-center. I don't care much for the monochrome/color effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I would have moved the leaf off-center.

I was going to say the same thing but then I realized both work OK..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I like all of them. Different ways, all valid. Only one thing to me: The clear background part of the image distracts to me from the green subject. Less clear background? There is some tension between the clear foreground and the clear background. For my taste the foreground should be more clear than the background to enfatize the green leaf. Only a detail, no more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Does this work as foreground interest? C+C please Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Does this image work?
Does it create sufficient interest or is the use of Bokeh to distracting

I think that if a leaf must be the main subject of a photo, it must be a "special leaf" somehow
(special colours, or very interesting shape, or very special position).
This leaf is one amongst many, it is plain green, and it's in an oblique position, so you
can't see it clearly and it's shape looks ungraceful, skimpy.
Therefore, while the "set" could work, with this particular leaf, in this condition, I think it doesn't.