Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scored One More -- A Takumar 300mm F4 Preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Scored One More -- A Takumar 300mm F4 Preset Reply with quote

I was just cruising Ebay looking at the M42 offerings (not much to do on a Friday night, sad I know ), and I came across a lens that was new to me, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset. Now, I LOVE preset lenses, my Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset and my Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset being my two favorite lenses. I never knew they made an F4 version of the 300mm Preset (I also have the tele-tak 300mm F6.3 preset). I HAD TO HAVE IT!

It looks in great condition with original case and metal cap and had a Buy It Now button, so I couldn't resist.

I'm hoping it is a match for the Tair 3 as the Tair 3 is my most used telephoto for wildlife and it is VERY heavy, so I'd like to get a little lighter 300mm. The Takumar 300 F4 Preset has 18 front mounted aperture blades compared to the Tairs 16 front mounted blades. It is a 4 element design, so I think it is similar to the Tairs triplet design.

I hope it gets here before next weekend. I want to take it to the mountains to find some mulies or maybe a few elk if I hike up high enough.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had SMC Takumar 300mm f4 , great lens! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an exceptionally good lens, slow but sure. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's an exceptionally good lens, slow but sure. Wink

you may not need 300 at f2.8-

Congrats.
interesting to see how preset tak performs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

I'm not sure that you'll notice a difference in the aperture blades. The design in lens element is different, so this may give a different look to images.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said, I already have the Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset, it is my favorite 200mm lens. It really renders 3D like images and the sharpness is outstanding right at wide open.

takumar 200mm f35 test 1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

takumar 200mm f35 test 3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Playing catch with Freya 3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I have all the other Preset Takumar telephotos, I just didn't know they made one in 300mm F4.

Takumar 135mm F3.5 Preset
Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset
Tele-Takumar 200mm F5.6 Preset
Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 Preset

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid photos Colorado. Nice bright and sharp!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: The Bugle of the Bull Elk Reply with quote

I went hiking in the mountains today to try out my new Nex 5n. I also tried out a new (to me) lens I just received, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset (18 aperture blades).

It is getting into the rut season for elk here in northern Colorado. When you go into the mountains this time of year, you can hear elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It is an awesome sound to hear, especially when you are hiking all alone up in the high country.

Right from the start of the hike today, the elk bugles were numerous. There were many bull elk in the area and they are starting to compete to build their harems. An hour or so into the hike, I heard a loud bugle close by, just up the ridge. I started to climb. Now this time of year you have to be careful getting close to the big bulls, they are pretty touchy and it doesn't take much to set them off.

As I got up to the ridge line, another bugle sounded. It was VERY close. So, I squatted down and started looking through the trees to see if I could spot the bull. It didn't take long to spot him as he slowly moved through the trees (you could hear his antlers hitting against the trees and branches).

I took my time and slowly worked my way towards him. I was none to eager to startle that bull.

15-Sept-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

He had a small harem gathered at the top of the ridge. There were a half dozen cows and a couple of yearlings.

15-Sept-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I sat close the the small herd for about an hour. The bull would bugle every few minutes, answering other bugles from other bulls in the area. On a few occasions, other bulls would get too close and he would run down the side of the mountain to chase them off.

During one the bulls absences, a cow grazed up to within 20 feet of me.

15-Sept-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I started to get uncomfortable as more bulls were moving into the area. The bull I've been photographing was starting to get more agitated and huffing/bugling a lot, so I took a couple more photos, then eased away from the herd.

15-Sept-2012-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

It was a great hike and a memorable experience.

I kind of wish I had my K20D with me since this was my first day out with the Nex 5n and I wasn't real comfortable with it, especially with a 300mm lens. The Nex 5n didn't let me down though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots! First my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Tak 300mm Reply with quote

Those are beautiful images... and someone with a modern 300mm would find hard to beat!

Thanks for showing.