Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New book on M42 Pentax and Takumar is ready
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: New book on M42 Pentax and Takumar is ready Reply with quote

Hello Pentax aficionados,

The second edition of my book is ready! It is a deluxe edition with a hard cover, a notch and a red reading ribbon. The size of the book is 288 pages.

This new edition focuses on collecting and using old Asahi Pentax cameras and Takumar lenses.

The book covers all cameras: the Asahiflexes, the S-/H-types, the Spotmatic, its derivatives and the electronically controlled Electro Spotmatic, ES and ES II. Furthermore, the Motor Drive and Data cameras. The American models are also discussed, such as the Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic IIa.

In addition to all Takumar lenses, all accessories such as bellows and extension tubes, filters and microscope adapters are also included.
Separate chapters deal with maintenance and use of this now 45 years old or older equipment.

Of course, the history of the manufacturer is also highlighted. The company was founded on November 27, 1919.

The price of the book is € 32.50 excluding shipping costs.

Due to the covid pandemic, it may take longer than usual for books to arrive.

Gerjan van Oosten

PS: the book is also available on eBay!

Last edited by Argos on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: New book on M42 Pentax and Takumar in the making Reply with quote

Argos wrote:
Hello Pentax aficionados, ...

Hello Gerjan. What an exciting prospect. Would you drop in now and again and let us know how you are doing?

Best wishes with the 2nd Edition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gerjan,

Of course this is a very good news. I bought one of your signed copies some years ago and will buy the new version for sure. I am sure that there will be some things to discover, as now we are sure that some lenses exists, like the M42 versions of the 83/1.9 and 100/3.5 (I have both ones).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that second hand copies of your book sell for more than £175 on abebooks etc., a second edition (for those of us who have never managed to get the first edition!) would be very welcome indeed.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: New book on M42 Pentax and Takumar in the making Reply with quote

Argos wrote:
. . .
To be on the safe side, the first print order will not exceed a few hundred copies.
. . .

Thanks for the news, Gerjan.
I don't think you'll have any trouble selling those copies. Quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book is here: https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-camera-s-analoog/m1708216826-asahi-pentax-camera-s-en-takumar-objectieven-gids-boek.html I guess Gerjan doesn't want to be too busy not promoting it. I immediately ordered one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! How do you purchase from that site? Shame he doesn't use something more mainstream...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Netherlands so it is easy for me. Just register and leave him a message with the "bericht" button on the right. He will tell you how to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Pentaxforums:

Quote:
Hello Pentax aficionados,

You can order the book by supplying your email address for PayPal and I will send you an invoice. The book is 32.50 euro, shipping costs in Europe are 9.30 or 12.00, depending on the country you live in, Rest of the World and Russia are 19.00 euros.

Pleas also send you full name and address for shipping.

Regards, Gerjan van Oosten

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/407494-working-new-ultimate-asahi-pentax-guide-3.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelang wrote:
Thanks for the update! How do you purchase from that site? Shame he doesn't use something more mainstream...

Hello Dave, you can order the book by supplying your PayPal email address and full name and address for shipping. Shipping costs depend on where you live, the book is 32.50 euro. Regards, Gerjan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on M42 Pentax and Takumar in the making Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Argos wrote:
Hello Pentax aficionados, ...

Hello Gerjan. What an exciting prospect. Would you drop in now and again and let us know how you are doing?

Best wishes with the 2nd Edition.

Hello, you can order the book by supplying your PayPal email address and full name and address for shipping. Shipping costs depend on where you live, the book is 32.50 euro. Regards, Gerjan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Hello Gerjan,

Of course this is a very good news. I bought one of your signed copies some years ago and will buy the new version for sure. I am sure that there will be some things to discover, as now we are sure that some lenses exists, like the M42 versions of the 83/1.9 and 100/3.5 (I have both ones).

Hello, you can order the book by supplying your PayPal email address and full name and address for shipping. Shipping costs depend on where you live, the book is 32.50 euro. Regards, Gerjan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Congratulations Gerjan! I feel honored to have contributed to it!
And thanks for my copy... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it arrived (saturday already, but I wasn't home)

Thanks Gerjan!

The Definitive ASAHI PENTAX Collectors Guide by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent on Friday June 11 - no response.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelang wrote:
PM sent on Friday June 11 - no response.

Try Facebook. I never get an e-mail when someone sends me a PM here. It's just a notification on the site
https://www.facebook.com/gerjan.vanoosten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I'll pass. He won't see a FB message either unless we're 'friends.' If he's as diligent in his research as he is with actually selling the book, I don't want it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m'kay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelang wrote:
Thanks but I'll pass. He won't see a FB message either unless we're 'friends.' If he's as diligent in his research as he is with actually selling the book, I don't want it anyway.

Wow that seems overly harsh. More likely he has not changed his default mflenses profile setting "Notify on new Private Message" from No to Yes.

I sent my request via PM on Pentax Forums; he sent a PayPal money request next day June 9. My book arrived in San Francisco June 15 en route.

You might try emailing him directly: gerjan.van.oosten@casema.nl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I'll confess that I get tweaked by strange behaviour like this. I don't get it. It's not how I would approach the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelang wrote:

I would have given you his contact information, but after having read your harsh reaction
(instead of simply ask here for it) I guess I won't...sorry.

Kindness goes a long way...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my copy June 19 -- 11 days after PM on PentaxForums -- not bad!

Well worth it too -- there are many corrections and additions to the expanded Lenses sections -- very comprehensive and well researched imho (I did have 21 year career working with a group of over 100 publishers... Smile)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle
Thank you for this definitively wonderful book, Gerjan! I'm so glad you decided to publish a new edition. The first edition was on my wish list for the past several years, but all the used copies I found were too expensive for me.

During my first foray into the new book I was intrigued to read your remarks about the eight element Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4.
I've often wondered how "good" it really is...

For those who may be thinking about ordering the book, my copy arrived (to the U.S.) a little more than two weeks after I sent payment.
After the Paypal invoice, I didn't hear from Gerjan again. It would've been nice to have had confirmation of shipment, but this book is an excellent value, so I won't complain (further).

It's going to be interesting now to observe asking prices for the first edition.

visualopsins wrote:
. . .

Well worth it too -- there are many corrections and additions to the expanded Lenses sections -- very comprehensive and well researched imho (I did have 21 year career working with a group of over 100 publishers... Smile)

Thanks for that. I was going to ask if anyone knew what differences there were between the two editions.
(Other than the title, of course. Wink)