Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pickwick Camera -- What a Stinker!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Pickwick Camera -- What a Stinker! Reply with quote

I accidentally bought this camera about four months ago. The back closure was warped, but I got to use it because one day it magically unwarped. I didn't know bakelite could do that. So I spooled the tail end of a Kodak 250D roll onto some 127 backing paper and gave this thing a shot.

Wow. What a stinker. Oddly, the center is incredibly blurry with a ring of focus around it. The edges are almost as out of focus as the center. Yes -- the center is the most out-of-focus area. In fact, the lens' center cannot focus on anything at any distance. Close-up, not only does it not focus, it actually distorts images.

Lest you think that I just have a bad copy, verily I say unto you: I knew it would perform this badly before I used it because of everything I read on the Internet about this camera. All of the reviews are as damning as mine is about to be.

This image demonstrates the warping. You can tell by the registration holes that film was scanned flat. An alternate possibility as to why this is so warped is that the camera lacks the ability to hold film flat on a plane. Yeah.

This image demonstrates the ring of focus outside the middle. You can see my Rhodesian Ridgeback is in reasonable focus. My other dog, however, is not, even though he's in the middle.

Let's sing this commentary to the tun of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.

I fell in to a blurry ring of focus.
I got blurred, blurred, blurred and the image did not focus.
And it's blurry, blurry, blurry, that ring of focus.
That ring of focus.

What the heck? At least the film information lettering is in focus.

This is the best shot from the roll. No, I'm not kidding.

But beyond performance, this camera gets worse. Yes, it gets worse. It uses 127 film -- an egregious waste of such a rare commodity. Because it uses 127 film, it has two red viewing holes on the back. If you line up the numbers in the centers of each red viewing hole and advance as you're supposed to, the images overlap. YES! They overlap. Now, I'm all for not wasting film and all, but overlapping images seems a bit like overkill.

In short, do not buy this camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a stinker, but I quite like the effect, especially with the sprocket holes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on an old Baldessar RF camera, where one area of the shot was always blurred. I eventually found that the sprung film pressure plate had taken a knock and had a raised area. I gave it a tap or two with small cloth covered hammer and the situation was vastly improved. I think your warped back closure may have been involved somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film flatness is a big problem on most cheap cameras, and on many not-so cheap ones too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will make you a fashion icon, it's the next Lomo ! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Film flatness is a big problem on most cheap cameras, and on many not-so cheap ones too.

+1 I saw almost same crap from a Zeiss Ikon camera did look new I sold it to a guy who did not willing to shoot with it, later I bought same camera little used one. It was great Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughingLaughingLaughing @ David. Well done for trying it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was all about a bit of fun Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is totally a blast to use. Looks silly, very light, and incredibly simple. In fact, as a great design bonus, it can even hold a spare roll inside the camera!

I'll get some pics of it posted later. I may actually try a second roll at some point, to see if I can work with the camera's flaws to return less super-lomo results.