Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 35/2 AI-s vs Nikon 35/2D (AF)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 35/2 AI-s vs Nikon 35/2D (AF) Reply with quote

Did you Nikoni(ans,ists and so on Laughing ) observed diferences in optical performance ?KR says it's better than the AI-S. I could buy the AF version for manual use for a fair price (I hope)-I shoot with NEX3 and Canon EOSXTi .The prices of fast MF primes began to increase too much (for my pocket) these days

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does KR stand for Ken Rockwell?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wide open shooting you will find the Nikkor 35mm f/2D AF better than it's manual focus predecessor, the Nikkor 35/2 Ai-S. Extreme corners also pick up detail about one f-stop faster with the AF-D than with the Ai-S. The Nikkor 35/2D AF is a very good choice for full frame users, it still delivers even when coupled with the demanding sensor of a D3X. (This is user experience on full frame.)

When you're shooting with 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor I think you will not be able to distinguish difference unless you shoot test charts. Your sensor will crop most (if not all) of the differences out of the image frame.

KR... IMHO you can neglect 90% of what he writes. He's sometimes on target but many of his "reviews" are just plain shit, like his writings about the Nikkor 28/1.4D (reading it, I doubt he has ever used that lens). He's just interested in Google and hit counts, as he himself writes: to support my growing family through this website

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
For wide open shooting you will find the Nikkor 35mm f/2D AF better than it's manual focus predecessor, the Nikkor 35/2 Ai-S. Extreme corners also pick up detail about one f-stop faster with the AF-D than with the Ai-S. The Nikkor 35/2D AF is a very good choice for full frame users, it still delivers even when coupled with the demanding sensor of a D3X. (This is user experience on full frame.)

When you're shooting with 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor I think you will not be able to distinguish difference unless you shoot test charts. Your sensor will crop most (if not all) of the differences out of the image frame.

KR... IMHO you can neglect 90% of what he writes. He's sometimes on target but many of his "reviews" are just plain shit, like his writings about the Nikkor 28/1.4D (reading it, I doubt he has ever used that lens). He's just interested in Google and hit counts, as he himself writes: to support my growing family through this website

Laughing Thanks ! That's why I asked !
The 35/2 D went at 150E , more than I was able to pay (but still a fair price ,I suppose). I'll go for a Mir 24 if I'll "hit the target" Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the 35/2 Ai-S has better manual focus handling than the flimsy fast focusing 35/2D AF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know this link here ?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Do you know this link here ?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

Wink

No , thanks ,Rolf , it's very interesting !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorn Rorslett makes KR look like the idiot he is. Good link Rolf. I have both of those lenses and the 35/1.4 AIS. The best is the 1.4, and the other two are not far behind. Frankly I see no difference worth remarking on between the versions at f2 on my 1.5x crop D300

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found recently in a large photo shop at Düsseldorf a used Nikon 1.4/35mm AI in very good condition but I was not willing to pay 380 € for this lens because I own the 2/35mm and as you pointed out before the difference are not so large between these 2 lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm considering a fast 35 in Nikon mount, since I don't thing a fast 28 is affordable for me.

The two options I'm aware of are Nikon 35/2 and MIR 35/2. The latter being cheaper, but with good feedback, so I'm thinking whether I should insist on the Nikon or not.

Any other options I should think of?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 35mm f/1.8 AFS ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In consideration as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the 35/1.8 AFS (using AF) to be sharper than the 35/2 Ais (using MF) on a D5000 - but that may simply reflect my manual focusing skills. I found the 35/2 Ais to be sharper than the MIR 24NH 35/2. This may reflect sample variation but there is at least one other report on this forum (sorry, I can't remember where) which reports the same.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G to be superior to the Nikkor AF 35mm f2 D and the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S especially in the corners.

However the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S was superior to the Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D in the corners,especially on full frame bodies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I found the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G to be superior to the Nikkor AF 35mm f2 D and the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S especially in the corners.

However the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S was superior to the Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D in the corners,especially on full frame bodies.

I concur with your assesment of the Nikkor AF-S 35/1.8G being superior to the AF 35/2D and 35/2 Ai-S in the corners, but as it is a crop sensor lens (the 35/1.8G AF-S DX) this is irrelevant to full frame users. Crop sensor users really should pick the Nikkor 35/1.8G AF-S as it costs 180 new and that's only a little more than you'll pay for the used Ai-S (and less than you'll pay for the full-frame 35/2D AF Nikkor).

Since every experience varies, here's my own: Boomer Depp, I think your 35/2D AF needs adjustment because given the 4 samples I have, the 35/2 Ai-S is not better in extreme corners than the 35/2D AF: The corner detail obtained at f/5.6 with the 35/2 Ai-S is less than with the 35/2D AF at f/4, the AF-D version picks up quality about 1-2 f-stops before the Ai-S version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. 35/1.8 seem to be loosing very little of their value, so I'll try to grab one. What's quite interesting is that MIRs often sell for more than 35/2 Ai Nikkors here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Boomer Depp wrote:

I concur with your assesment of the Nikkor AF-S 35/1.8G being superior to the AF 35/2D and 35/2 Ai-S in the corners, but as it is a crop sensor lens (the 35/1.8G AF-S DX) this is irrelevant to full frame users. Crop sensor users really should pick the Nikkor 35/1.8G AF-S as it costs 180 new and that's only a little more than you'll pay for the used Ai-S (and less than you'll pay for the full-frame 35/2D AF Nikkor).

Since every experience varies, here's my own: Boomer Depp, I think your 35/2D AF needs adjustment because given the 4 samples I have, the 35/2 Ai-S is not better in extreme corners than the 35/2D AF: The corner detail obtained at f/5.6 with the 35/2 Ai-S is less than with the 35/2D AF at f/4, the AF-D version picks up quality about 1-2 f-stops before the Ai-S version.

Sorry....to disagree with you,but your taking what I said out of context...the OP has an XTI....

So actually it's quite relevant.... it seems many of the users here use crop sensor bodies as well.Especially,if they have a crop sensor Nikon body,then the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G is what I would recommend.

I personally wouldn't buy a Nikkor 35mm f2 AF-D....because the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S is a bit sharper in the borders.

AFAIC the Nikkor 35mm f2 AF-D doesn't compare to Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S on full frame bodies especially and on crop sensor bodies as well.I've tried probably half a dozen copies in various shops as well as two copies of other photographers.

The Nikkor 35/2 AF-D on full frame DSLR's and film bodies the borders left much to be desired and weren't close to being sharp at f4 and didn't sharpen up till f8.On crop sensor with 12 MP or more the borders aren't really sharp till f5.6....

The Nikkor 35/2 AF-D on crop sensor bodies with 10 MP or less the lens the borders do sharpen up by f4,but f5.6 and f8 is sharper....

As stated above I would recommend the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G on a crop sensor Nikon,or a Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S on other crop bodies such as the Canon.

AFAIC the Nikkor 35mm f2 AF-D should have been replaced long ago....and I can't believe they're still being manufactured after 17 years....and I would recommend the Nikkor 35mm f2 AI-S.