Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 50 or 55 f1.7 oil painting bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Chinon 50 or 55 f1.7 oil painting bokeh Reply with quote

Hi I've seen pictures taken with Chinon lenses which in some cases has bokeh resembling an oil painting.
I do not remember if it was a 50mm or 55mm lens,anyone know anything about this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me that posted some of those, and it is the chino 55mm f1.7 the one with the leather grip

[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks then it is the 55mm I look for.Do you know if the mc variant provides similar bokeh.
Those images are not taken at maximum aperture, or

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, they where probably F2, I also own the Chinon 50mm MC version in PK mount
there is some photos on here from it http://digital-darkroom.weebly.com/chinon-55mm-f17.html
the ones of the purple and yellow flowers after the dandelion shot are taken with that

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Chinon 1.7/55 wide open
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Super Weistar-DM 55mm f1.7 that looks the same as the Chinon 55mm but without a-m slider.
Took a few test shots and it does not give quite the same bokeh even if it
is ok,What do you Think.
The lens is a sharp from the maximum aperture even if the contrast is slightly lower there,it likes blue but provides overall pleasant colors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55mm f/1.4, leather grip.
One of my favourite lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
55mm f/1.4, leather grip.
One of my favourite lenses!

Nice... like the second one

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
It really is a lovely lens.

Here are some more:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bokeh Rudolf!
Are these in the bokeh thread yet?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon prices are going up but I got this one for relatively little. I highly recommend it. Smile

Haven't added these to the bokeh only thread, as that is not the purpose of that thread, but I am happy add it to a "show off your lens bokeh" thread of which I am sure we have dozens in the archives. Wink
Having said tat, a lot of people's images are probably no longer accessible due to the site issues a while ago...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone interested, I'm selling this lens along with other "strangekeh" lens for (I think) quite reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252049874512

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
That would be me that posted some of those, and it is the chino 55mm f1.7 the one with the leather grip

Sorry to reawaken this thread, but is this the Macro Chinon or the standard? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard lens my friend, the one withe the leather grip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Chinon lenses seem to be appreciating in value you might like to look at the Auto Revuenon version of this lens.
These are selling for less at the present time.
I think that it is from the same manufacturer.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered right now a Chinon 50/1.7 with leather grip. Price about 33USD (shipping included) on a local site. I do not necessarily needed, but if I read posts ... Smile
I love pictural bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Hanimex Hanimar f55mm 1.7 also the same lens?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon is 300$ on ebay!??!

Sad

It has same effect as this lens I have:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And which lens would that be?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it around £35+shipping on ebay. Probably macro version is with this high price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I see it around £35+shipping on ebay. Probably macro version is with this high price.

And why I was inquiring if it is in fact the same lens, different branding. ?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
I have one Super Weistar-DM 55mm f1.7 that looks the same as the Chinon 55mm but without a-m slider.
Took a few test shots and it does not give quite the same bokeh even if it
is ok,What do you Think.
The lens is a sharp from the maximum aperture even if the contrast is slightly lower there,it likes blue but provides overall pleasant colors.

I do like the bokeh of that Fritz Weist lens; Super Weistar-DM; I've decided to get all the Weistar lenses I can find both for their qualities but also because they are part of Swedish photo history; here is more information (in Swedish but Google translate does a relatively good or at least understandable job)
http://www.filmsoundsweden.se/backspegel/fritz-weist/f-w.htm

I got the 35mm, 135mm and 200mm so far.

The Super Weistar-DM 135mm f/2.8 has a quite different bokeh, I shot it against another favourite of mine a Kino Precison Industries 135mm f/2.8 and you can see the difference here; although I like to colours of the Super Weistar-DM the Kino (Kiron in USA) has more microcontrast, but I'm not sure you can see it in the pictures as I resized them.

Kino Precision 135mm f/2.8 @ f5.6

Super Weistar-DM 135mm f/2.8 @ f5.6

Super Weistar-DM 135mm f/2.8 @ f4

Kino Precision 135mm f/2.8 @ f4

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Chinon 50mm 1.7. Haven't used it a lot yet but i'ts bokeh is no slouch either. The K-mount Chinon's were probably made for them by a Japanese lens manufacturer.

Probably Cosina. Tomioka dissappeared from the consumer market at some point and focussed on industrial imaging. I think Cosina continued development of their consumer lens designs. You can also find the lens with slightly different colour markings as Revuenon and Sears.

Mooie Madam by The lens profile, on Flickr