Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

seagull df 300x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: seagull df 300x Reply with quote

Which model of minolta is the seagull df 300 x?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta x300.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was an X-370.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in different areas of the world minolta had different designations for same models

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagull, Centon, Kinon* and maybe others too, were brands used on the Minolta X-300/ X-370 during its production run in China during the later eighties and early nineties. The Kinon X-380 I posses, is apart from the logo's, indistinguishable from its Minolta counterpart. If you rebadged it with Minolta's own Logos, no-one would ever know unless they had access to a serial numbers data file.

When these cameras were current, they were available in black or silvered/chrome.

Strange that Minolta allowed this legal cloning of a prestige camera, unless they made a huge profit from it of course!

*There are `No Name' X-300's too, the model number is displayed as usual, but the pentaprism cover has no logo on the front.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:
Seagull, Centon, Kinon and maybe others too, were brands used on the Minolta X-300/ X-370 during its production run in China during the later eighties and early nineties. The Kinon X-380 I posses, is apart from the logo's, indistinguishable from its Minolta counterpart. If you rebadged it with Minolta's own Logos, no-one would ever know unless they had access to a serial numbers data file. Strange that Minolta allowed this legal cloning of a prestige camera, unless they made profit from it of course!

The wandering story, not verified, but funny enough to keep in memory, is that Minolta gave the Chinese a license to produce the X-300 under the own brand for the Chinese market only. As the second camera that rolled from the production line made it's appearance outside China, the Chinese manufacturer defended the export with the fact that there are lots of Chinese people living all over the world Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
MTHall wrote:
Seagull, Centon, Kinon and maybe others too, were brands used on the Minolta X-300/ X-370 during its production run in China during the later eighties and early nineties. The Kinon X-380 I posses, is apart from the logo's, indistinguishable from its Minolta counterpart. If you rebadged it with Minolta's own Logos, no-one would ever know unless they had access to a serial numbers data file. Strange that Minolta allowed this legal cloning of a prestige camera, unless they made profit from it of course!

The wandering story, not verified, but funny enough to keep in memory, is that Minolta gave the Chinese a license to produce the X-300 under the own brand for the Chinese market only. As the second camera that rolled from the production line made it's appearance outside China, the Chinese manufacturer defended the export with the fact that there are lots of Chinese people living all over the world Very Happy

A wandering story, but true. There's nothing new in cloning and these aren't copies, they're too well made and have survived working for two decades!
Evidence speaks for itself, (Don't forget that Jesops sold these under their Centon brand).

Picture taken on a Cannon 10D and Jupiter9 f5.6/125 with flash Cobra Auto 250.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Seagull_DF-300
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_X-300
http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/carena_df300_d.htm
http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/carena_slr_sx300_d.htm

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/page_standard.php?id_appareil=10176

Have a google for Centon DF300, or Seagull DF300. The Kinon X-380 is less common in UK, but hey! they must have made it ashore as I bought mine from Blue Cross charity shop for £14.99. The Seagull version is said to have "Made in China under licence of Minolta Japan" on it. compare this photo with a Minolta X-370, they are identical. I cannot find the serial number of the body, but the lens carries SB-438660 under it.

And "The wandering story" continues, not only Minolta, but large numbers of British and continental manufacturers are following suit. `Offshore manufacturing' is the Jingle we hear, made in China is cheaper they say and the dole queue gets longer still.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a guy on the Camera Collectors forum that seems to very knowledgeable about these Chinese cameras and he has an ongoing post showing them.

http://cameracollector.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=1930s&action=display&thread=7545

and he's just posted about the Seagull / Minolta.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
there's a guy on the Camera Collectors forum that seems to very knowledgeable about these Chinese cameras and he has an ongoing post showing them.

http://cameracollector.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=1930s&action=display&thread=7545

Those `folder's' are great looking cameras Lloydy, I especialy like the MF SLR. I followed their link through onto facebook, there were some interesting Minoltas on there too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very interesting topic, and not a bad forum either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Bu66er, I didn't know Peter Wallage had died. He was very knowledgeable, indeed.
I think it's the same PW that used to write car restoration books and for various camera mags. Knew a lot of very useful info.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Bu66er, I didn't know Peter Wallage had died. He was very knowledgeable, indeed.
I think it's the same PW that used to write car restoration books and for various camera mags. Knew a lot of very useful info.

It is saddening when someone you look up to and admire passes away. Patrick Moore too, has succumbed, even the greatest of us, is only mortal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
MTHall wrote:

You would have thought also, that other manufactures around the rest of the world, would have learned lessons from this. The Japanese before the Chinese and just after the war, used the same methods of exploiting the manufacturers in the west, this second assault if successful, will finish what the Japanese started. Two good instances to illustrate the the problem. From the early part of the 20th century right up until l the mid fifties the Germans were the kings of everything optical. Audio and everything Hi Fi was the domain of British electronics until the early mid sixties. Post war politics heavily reinforces by American influences on the global market, gave the Japanese an unfair marketing advantage, that's why we're where we are today! (There's a lot of hidden history on this subject!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

That's not a bad read!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

That's not a bad read!

Dig that colour scheme? Such a collectible camera too, Commemoration of the "Return of Hong Kong" limited edition (1000)

http://cameracollector.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=1930s&thread=7545&page=3#61382

That's quite a good forum Martin, I've been browsing around it too, some nice reading.pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:

I cannot find the serial number of the body, but the lens carries SB-438660 under it.

The serial number is embossed inside the top of the flash mount. At the top when looking at it as if you were about to take a picture.