Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G2 rangefinder,Contax 167 MT reflex.... Carnival!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Contax G2 rangefinder,Contax 167 MT reflex.... Carnival! Reply with quote

As it seems now very unlikely that Canon will give me back the 400D in time for the Carnival, I have to think about how to make my set without it.

This year, I have decided to go there with three cameras. This because last year, with two cameras, my usual set was composed by a wide lens on the 5D, to capture the whole scenes, and a tele lens on the 400D, for the details. But I greatly missed the elegance and the power of the 50mm lenses.

Now, I'll have to take with me two film cameras together with the 5D.

The idea of bringing the Pentacon 6 is surely tempting (imagine all those colourful costumes captured by a 6x6 medium format camera on a Velvia 50!), but the weight of the camera and lenses, the limited capacity of the rolls (only 12 takes), the risk of the overlapping frames, and the awkwardness in changing the film, which would need to be done in the middle of a roaring crowd, have convinced me to drop the idea.

So I have decided to take with me the Contax G2 rangefinder and the Contax 167 MT reflex.

I have now to organize which lens goes on what.

The weather forecast for Sunday is "sunny", so this is a factor to take into account because I'll have to deal with film on 2 cameras.

Considering that based on the experience of last year, the large majority of the better pictures have been all taken by a tele lens, I will fit a tele on the 5D. This will also allow me to shoot faster and then recover possible exposure problems with RAW processing, a luxury that is not permitted with film cameras.
Another factor is that tele lenses require always very fast shutter speed, and with the 5D I can use the ISO settings effectively as a third way to control the exposure, since ISO is changeable on the fly in intervals equivalent to 1/3rd of f/stop from 50 to 3200.
This will allow me to use the teles even in the end of the day, with low ambient light.
My choice of teles for Sunday is to initially mount the Elmarit-R 135, to take advantage of the stronger sunlight. The lens is a f/2.8 and it useable wide open, so it will also handle photos in shadow areas (the carinval passes through narrow streets).
When the ambient light will decrease, I will replace the Elmarit with my Planar 2/135, also useable wide open, which will grant me a full one f/stop more of useability.
In my bag, I will also have either the Helios-40-2, or the Jupiter-9, as 85mm alternatives, shoud I feel the need for a shorter tele, and the Contax Sonnar 2.8/180 as longer tele alternative, in case the crowd keeps me too much away from the action. The Contax Sonnar 180 will be preferred over the Jena version because of the much smaller size and weight in the bag.

For the Contax 167 MT, I am quite undecided, if to mount a wide prime lens, or one of the two zooms I recently bought.
A wide prime lens will not have distortion problems and will allow several f/stops of advantage in the case of the Distagon 1.4/35.
A zoom lens on the contrary, will be slower, but will be able to reach a short tele distance, that may fill nicely the gap left by the 135mm prime on the 5D. With the Vario-Sonnar 35-70, and even more with the Yashica ML 28-85, I would be able to switch immediately from a moderate wide (superwides are not really needed in the small streets that I'll be in) to a moderate tele that could fill the momentaneous gap left by the 135mm on the 5D.
So I guess I will start with one of the zooms on the camera, and will have the faithful Distagon 1.4/35 in the bag, to take the place of the zoom when the ambient light will decrease.
As for film, I will start with a Velvia 100 loaded.
In my bag, as replacement, I will have another Velvia 100, a couple of Velvia 200, and one Fujchrome 400 for the sunset time.

Finally, on the G2 rangefinder, I will use the standard lens Planar 2/45, because it's probably the best lens that I have for sharpness. I will have the Velvia 50 loaded as film, so the couple Planar 45 + Velvia 50 should be a killer one. The sharpest I could get on film given my current tools.
The lack of mirror in the rangefinder will allow me more room for shooting with slower shutter times even with a 50 ISO film loaded. This of course in case I'd be photographing a still subject - a quite unlikely possibility if you ask me.
In case of need, anyway, I will also have with me the Biogon 28mm and the Sonnar 90mm to take the place of the Planar.
And of course, I can always use a faster film when the daylight goes down.

Well, this is the plan I came up with.
The only real drawback of this plan is the high number of lenses to carry with me. Unfortunately, the use of different cameras like reflex and rangefinder will force me to take some duplicates with me, something that I usually avoid as the pest.
When I'll have the 400D back, I will take only one film camera and narrow down the number of lenses to a more comfortable 5-6

Any suggestion for improvement? Alternative ideas?

-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a WONDERFUL cadre of lenses, and it looks like you have MORE than covered what you anticipate.

It just seems like it could slow you down with all those lenses + three cameras, Orio! Is it not a valid consideration to try to go with the "less is more" adaptation? Perhaps "sticking" with one lens for a big majority of the time would grant you more keepers?

I'm curious, what do you do to keep all the equipment secure? Shocked Do you carry it all constantly?

Sounds like a WONDERFUL opportunity, Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I presume you will have a train of sherpas to carry all this? Laughing

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

It just seems like it could slow you down with all those lenses + three cameras, Orio! Is it not a valid consideration to try to go with the "less is more" adaptation? Perhaps "sticking" with one lens for a big majority of the time would grant you more keepers?

Yes, this is a valid point and an option for sure. In my series at the Christmas market this year I only used the Distagon 1.4/35. But that was a different situation, where I was able to move freely on the set. Sunday, I will be in the middle of a huge crowd, and not always I will be able to take the best place for photographs. You can not get close to subjects more than 4-5 meters,sometimes 10. So you need a range of lenses to adjust to the situation, because once you are on a place, you can not move around as you would like.

What makes the Carnevale an event different from all others, is that it's not a show with an audience and performers rigidly separated. The audience becomes performers. People masked mixes in with the professional and amateur performers. They interact. This is the most lovely part of this event, it's a live event, people takes part.
This makes the scene constantly dynamic and unpredictable. One moment you need a tele lens to isolate a situation, the moment after you need a wide angle to capture something new that is happening at your sides.
From there comes the necessity to have at least two cameras to use at the same time.
Then of course it's up to you, the photographer must be concentrated and able to pick the best moments of what happens and also to foresee what might happen in the following seconds.
It's really a continuous challenge and it is what makes it exciting. You really have to push your limits.

An advantage for me is that I know the place and I know the event. So I already know what lenses I better use, where and when.
But you are never 100% prepared in the Carnevale, there is always going to be something that surprises you.

An essential part is to know your tools. You have to make them second skin for you. This is what worries me for Sunday, with digital, I have lost the everyday contact and use of film. I'm afraid this might slow me down. We'll see.

Laurence wrote:
I'm curious, what do you do to keep all the equipment secure? Shocked Do you carry it all constantly?

Yes, always carry everything with me. All the cameras that I use are at my neck. And when I reach a point I want to photograph from, I place the bag (well closed) between my feet. But there is not really need, because everyone goes to the Carnevale to have fun. Smile
One wise thing to do, is to keep batteries, film, adapters, and CF cards, all inside pockets of your jacket, never in the bag. So you will only have to open the bag to change lenses. Which you can do in a moment or place where you are not pressed by the crowd.
With these simple tricks, you can go a long way Smile

-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
and I presume you will have a train of sherpas to carry all this? Laughing
patrickh

Laughing

I have a nice bag Smile
really it's not so bad as it seems:

- Elmarit 135 (I may also decide to leave this at home)
- Planar 135
- Jupiter-9
- Sonnar 180
- Vario-Sonnar 35-70
- Distagon 1.4/35
- Planar 2/45 G

It's seven lenses, which might become 9 if I decide to also take the Biogon G and Sonnar G as spares for the G2, but these are tiny.

I could easily make it 6 by giving up the Elmarit which is a duplicate of the Planar 135 - I really should, but I die to use a Leica at the Carnival, and I can not really leave the Planar at home because I will need it at sunset time.

Next Sunday, should I have my 400D back, I will leave one of the film cameras at home, and cut the number of lenses of 1-2 units.

-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely got most situations covered Very Happy

I look forward to the shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pity that you will not get back the 400D in time, but then, I am sure the Contax cams will serve you well!

Your lens list reads like a dream! What a great problem, having to choose between a Leica Elmarit 135 and a Zeiss Planar 135! (A kind of similar problem I only know from my 35mm and my 50mm lenses, and even there not quite at your level. Wink)

I know the urge to bring lenses that enable you to shoot that in every possible situation (you all know me!). And I think 7 lenses are easy to cope with.
What I usually do, is to wear a waist bag and one or two shoulder bags. Each of these bags hold different types of lenses so that I very quickly know where to look for them. (Backpacks are great for long hikes but a pain if you want to change lenses often!)
So, you could put your G2 lenses in a waist bag and the others in your shoulder bag.

The idea to use the 5D for the tele lens is understandable and since you shoot on film with the other cams, you will not have a "crop-problem" with wide angle shots. (Because of the FF it is wise to bring the 180mm lens!)

The only thing that I would miss, is a "real" wide angle, like 24 or 20mm.
Are you sure you won't need that?

For your RF I only would bring the Planar and the Biogon. 90mm lenses are not easy to use at a rangefinder, I think. And you have covered this length well.

As far as your zoom is concerned, 28-85 or 35-70, I would decide on the basis of the speed of the lens rather than the focal range. As you said, ambient light will be an issue later.

And yes, you definitely should not go without a good 50mm!
(Which you have covered with the G2 and the 45mm Planar.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have my 400D back, my setup for tomorrow is still going to be slightly different from last year.

The benefit of the EE-S Screen in the 5D is too big for me to use tele lenses only on the 400D like I did last year.

So, what I will do tomorrow, is to mount a fast wide lens on the 167MT (film), it will be either the Distagon 2/28 or the Distagon 1.4/35.
I have decided to take the 167MT over the G2 as film camera, because it allows me to not carry with me a different set of lenses.
With the Distagon 1.4/35 available, no need to take with me a fast 50mm.

So on the digitals I will have two teles. A shorter tele on the 5D, in the 85-100 mm range. I might start with either the Elmarit-R 90 or the Sonnar 3.5/135, to then move to the Planar 1.4/85 when the light is low.
On the 400D, a 135mm tele, which, considering the crop factor, will allow me not to take with me any 180/200mm lens at all.
I think tomorrow I will start with the Sonnar 2.8/135 (the same lens Attila just bought), then move to the Planar 2/135 when the light is low.

So, tomorrow I will have three cameras and 5 lenses. A surely more rational setup than the 7-8 lenses I had last Sunday.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, tomorrow I will have three cameras and 5 lenses. A surely more rational setup than the 7-8 lenses I had last Sunday.

You will looks like a Japanese foto riporter Smile a BIG ONE Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plans sound reasonable, Orio.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so lucky to have these colourful celebrations on at this time of year, and with the latitude there I am guessing you get a bit more light than we do at the moment, just one grey day after another its very difficult to snatch a shot when the sun breaks out for a few moments. I look forward to seing your images.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
It seems a well reasoned logical plan. I wish I had your self-discipline. I tend to throw everything in the car (carefully) and choose largely at random. Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
You are so lucky to have these colourful celebrations on at this time of year, and with the latitude there I am guessing you get a bit more light than we do at the moment, just one grey day after another its very difficult to snatch a shot when the sun breaks out for a few moments. I look forward to seing your images.

Yes it's nice to be able to fill Winter time with colours Very Happy I love the Carnival.
Yes until the 21st of March we're going to have more daylight than you then after it will reverse - in the end of the year we all have the same amount of daylight, the Lord for once has been fair with that - He must be a photographer Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
It seems a well reasoned logical plan. I wish I had your self-discipline. I tend to throw everything in the car (carefully) and choose largely at random. Very Happy Very Happy
patrickh

But what you do is more fun Very Happy
I also do that but then I always forget something - batteries, or cards, or adapter - I have a very distracted mind so self-discipline is a need for me. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather forecast says rain for Sunday... Crying or Very sad but shouldn't it rain, I have decided for another lens "rotation", this time centred on Leica lenses:

on the 400D: Leica Summicron-R 90 and Elmarit-R 180, plus Summicron-R 50 for the late evening

on the 5D: Leica Elmarit-R 90 plus the Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 for the late evening.

Contax G2 = usual setup with Planar 2/45 and Biogon 2.8/28

And now I have to keep my fingers crossed against the rain...
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather forecast for last Sunday... sunny!! Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Weather forecast for last Sunday... sunny!! Very Happy

-

Wonderful! And...wonderful for ME too, when I get to see some more of your outstanding work. I could see your work in a large book about the carnival....hmmm...double-page spreads, glossy surface.....WOW!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Wonderful! And...wonderful for ME too, when I get to see some more of your outstanding work. I could see your work in a large book about the carnival....hmmm...double-page spreads, glossy surface.....WOW!

Thanks... but imagine the cost!! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

on the 400D: Leica Summicron-R 90 and Elmarit-R 180, plus Summicron-R 50 for the late evening

on the 5D: Leica Elmarit-R 90 plus the Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 for the late evening.

Contax G2 = usual setup with Planar 2/45 and Biogon 2.8/28

This sounds so good!!!