Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots with the Vario-Sonnar 100-300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: First test shots with the Vario-Sonnar 100-300 Reply with quote

I picked up the lens this morning and it looks like new, just like the seller said. It came with the original caps, pouch and a Chinese built tripod-collar.

Like previous members have said, this lens is really sharp wideopen and with controlled CA. I'm having some trouble focusing but I will get the hang of it in a day or two.

Here is a few pictures, all wideopen.

100% crop

Last edited by Omar on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first shot alone shows why this lens is so desirable (to me), it has great pop and no obvious CA Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think the first shot alone shows why this lens is so desirable (to me), it has great pop and no obvious CA Smile

You know you are the main reason for me getting this lens. Your superb bird of prey shots just blew me away, so thank you =)
Yes, the pop, clarity and absence of CA makes it hard not to love this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Omar, you will have fun with this one!! Orio's carnival photos were the reason I bought my copy Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for this top lens!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Here is another sample.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, thats a Great lens! Most vario-sonnar are... Surprised
Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting this lens. I also have one and it is a great lens. Difficult to focus and am still getting used to it.
I also have that tripod collar but how do you use that thing? If I put it on the lens and onto the tripod I have to focus by turning the camera. Where do you put it on the lens?

Just a couple of pics I. All handheld

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
Congrats on getting this lens. I also have one and it is a great lens. Difficult to focus and am still getting used to it.
I also have that tripod collar but how do you use that thing? If I put it on the lens and onto the tripod I have to focus by turning the camera. Where do you put it on the lens?

Just a couple of pics I. All handheld

Nice samples!

I thought about using the collar like you do but it's not practical, like you have found out. The only way to use it is to zoom out beyond 135mm, you will sacrifice a little bit of the short end but I guess it can be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought about using the collar like you do but it's not practical, like you have found out. The only way to use it is to zoom out beyond 135mm, you will sacrifice a little bit of the short end but I guess it can be worth it.

That's an idea. Especially at the long end it is nice to have a tripod Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the new lens. Orio's photos make me buy this lens. Thanks Orio. I believe you like it. It is very sharp even at 300mm end.

All are at 300mm end with NEX-5N

100% crop

I attached those canon cheap tripod mount on C/Y-NEX adapter with some shimming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilco wrote:
I attached those canon cheap tripod mount on C/Y-NEX adapter with some shimming.

Well, that delivers some sharp bird portraits!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous Twisted Evil looks like a great lens.