Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC 3M-5CA 8/500 mint condition for cheap
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: MC 3M-5CA 8/500 mint condition for cheap Reply with quote

I'm not trying to sell anything. Anyway, I was just reading through all the old articles of old mflenses on the homepage and looking up how much lenses cost on ebay. On this review the author said this lens was very rare.
http://www.mflenses.com/mc-3m-5ca-500mm-f8.html

I found it for really cheap. Good deal or not? oh btw, it's mine, no one takes it!!! I'm just scare of the seller low rating and he have no info about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC-3M-5CA-8-500-Mint-Condition-/261080525646?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc99cab4e

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reasonable price, can't remember what I paid for mine but perhaps an extra $30 or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: MC 3M-5CA 8/500 mint condition for cheap Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I'm not trying to sell anything. Anyway, I was just reading through all the old articles of old mflenses on the homepage and looking up how much lenses cost on ebay. On this review the author said this lens was very rare.

Great lens, but very heavy Smile
Have limitations when used with some SLR cameras have a built-in flash. Back of the lenses is large enough and can sit on a ledge on the camera body and lens dont fit (or any build-up near the mount, this lens was created for the cameras with flat front like a Zenit.
The same will happen with some 800 and 1000 mm lens in this series).

More versatile, lightweight, and with the same picture quality is 500/800 Samyang/Bower (I have all of them)

The decisive factor which lens to take - the weight and comfort, and here Samyang/Bower out of competition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have Samyang 35mm and 85mm and trust them. But have never look into their 14mm, 500mm, and 800mm because I thought they were all crap. how do you know that they have the same image quality? I don't care about anything else except for image quality and if it can adapt to my Canon 550d.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: MC 3M-5CA 8/500 mint condition for cheap Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:
Victor Nguyen wrote:

Have limitations when used with some SLR cameras have a built-in flash. Back of the lenses is large enough and can sit on a ledge on the camera body and lens dont fit (or any build-up near the mount, this lens was created for the cameras with flat front like a Zenit.

More versatile, lightweight, and with the same picture quality is 500/800 Samyang/Bower (I have all of them)

The decisive factor which lens to take - the weight and comfort, and here Samyang/Bower out of competition.

As above! Very heavy lens. tammy 500mm 55BB much better?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
Yeah I have Samyang 35mm and 85mm and trust them. But have never look into their 14mm, 500mm, and 800mm because I thought they were all crap. how do you know that they have the same image quality? I don't care about anything else except for image quality and if it can adapt to my Canon 550d.

Here a test film shot on the 550d,[url] http://vimeo.com/14307417 [/url], the description does not say whether there were problems with installation - can you ask the author?
Also, I found information about his free use on the 7D and 350D.

I have Samyang 800 and 500 and 3M-СА, but pictures from 3M-5CA I can not show. The last time I fit it on the canon 30D, which I do not have now, and the 5d mk ii does not fit it.

Here are my pictures taken with the samyang 800/8 http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-800-8-and-canon-5dmkii-t39225.html
Unfortunately I have no examples of the "donut" bokeh, but the softness of the picture is the same.
IMHO Samyang will be a little better.
The net has a lot of feedback (3M-5CA) both good and bad, I think it depends on the quality of the lens assembly, which is very varied.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy is an overstatement. I think it's quite nice Wink

(I had 2 of these, sold one of them)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of these were taken with this lens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heavy indeed (heavy, though, not extremely heavy), but since i can't really imagine shooting with it handheld very often, it's not an issue (for me).

BTW, samyang 14 is not crap at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Heavy is an overstatement. I think it's quite nice Wink

(I had 2 of these, sold one of them)

+1

BTW there are two similar models: ZM-5A it has 2.2 pounds weight and ZM-5CA which is smaller and lighter - 1.37 pounds. Other difference as I can see at www.photohistory.ru site - first one has 77mm filter threads and second - 72mm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MC 3M-5CA 8/500 for cheap [vs Tamron 55B/55BB] Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a 3M-5CA. I find the image quality of the 3M-5CA better than all copies of the Tamron 55B and 55BB lenses I own.

The 3M-5CA is the 500mm lens I take out more often than any other. The handling is good, the weight is OK, and the images are very nice.

The weight of the 3M-5CA and the Tamron 55BB is comparable (the Tamron 55B and 55BB are very similar weight) . Here is what I see on my scale:

3M-5CA (500mm mirror lens, f8, 72mm filter size, M42 mount)
Weight w/o caps: 595 g
Weight w/ caps: 645 g [heavy metal lens cap!]

Tamron 55BB (500mm mirror lens, f8, 77mm filter size, with M42 Adaptall-II mount)
Weight w/o caps: 565 g
Weight w/ caps: 595 g [light plastic caps]
Weight w/ caps and hood: 660 g [very nice Tamron hood, comes with the lens]

I don't see a 50g (1 3/4 oz) weight difference as being very significant.

The 3M-5CA works just fine on a Panasonic GH2, which has a substantial forward bulge from its integrated flash. But it's true, the thing that makes it work is the depth of the M42->M43 adapter required to fit it.

See the photos!

Tamron 55BB 1/160s

3M-5CA 1/160s

Tamron 55BB 1/1600s

3M-5CA 1/1000s

All shots were taken hand-held, ISO 800, with an Olympus OM-D E-M5. In all shots, focus was in the very center. These were shots done specifically to show differences between these lenses; I know the composition leaves a lot to be desired. The shots also show the "donut bokeh" that many find irritating.

Thanks!

fotkino wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that are some of the ugliest bokeh I have ever seen...Are all super telephoto like that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
that are some of the ugliest bokeh I have ever seen...Are all super telephoto like that?

3M-5CA is a mirror lens. That's why the bokeh isn't so nice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to forum!

This lens is a great lens in pair with Tamron just longer and heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:

Articles about mirror lenses -

http://advancedphototech.wordpress.com/lenses/mirror-mirror-a-guide-to-choosing-and-using-mirror-lenses/
http://www.photozone.de/mirror-lenses

It's a compromise design, you save money and bulk, but get donuts.

Some people hate the donuts, some people choose angles to minimize the donuts, some find a way to include them in the composition of the image.

EDIT - added another article link

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

By the numbers, it's not much heavier than the Tamron. 50g out of about 600g, about 9%.

Cheers!

Attila wrote:
Welcome to forum!

This lens is a great lens in pair with Tamron just longer and heavier.