Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The best zoom lens at least 28mm wide end, 70mm long end
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep championing the Yashica ML 80-200 / 4. I think it's a great lens and very under rated. If the 28-85 is as good then the two together would make a great pair of walkabout lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Koboron 24-70 to be what I needed, it's really surprisingly great.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're sorted now Ian but should you come across the series 1 Vivitar 24-70mm f/3.8-4.8 give it a try, l sold my copy a long time ago but remember it being more than a match for the 28/90 and lighter lol, looking forward to seeing pics from your new arrival Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I keep championing the Yashica ML 80-200 / 4. I think it's a great lens and very under rated. If the 28-85 is as good then the two together would make a great pair of walkabout lenses.

The 35-105 is also excellent IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
I see you're sorted now Ian but should you come across the series 1 Vivitar 24-70mm f/3.8-4.8 give it a try, l sold my copy a long time ago but remember it being more than a match for the 28/90 and lighter lol, looking forward to seeing pics from your new arrival Smile

I've had the Koboron for a while and have posted samples from it on here:

24mm setting, 2 stops closed:

100% crop from centre:

50mm setting, 2 stops closed:

100% crop from centre:

70mm setting, 2 stops closed:

100% crop from centre:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:

I do own that Vivitar 1 Series lens - mainly i've bought it some time ago for the 24mm Wideangle, because 28mm is often not wide enough for me. Great Pictures from your lens, but i do miss (at least here on my Screen) a bit of sharpness more...my 24-70 looks like new, into Original Box...it's bulky & heavy, and so far i have never used it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Avoid the Contax 28-70mm...it's a Sigma design Shocked

Please stop this Rumor - this 28-70/3.5-4.5 is *not* a Sigma Design, but the Contax-N 28-80 is! But what's the Difference, Zeiss said, they couldn't do it better, back into their heyday, of this Lens. I remember that quite well. And the 28-80 Contax N Lens does also have the Zeiss T* Multicoatings. But anyway, alone from the MTF, i'd go for the 24-85 N, which does have also 24mm Wideangle. Both both Lenses are AF, and the matching Fringer Adapter for Sony FE Mount is very, extreme expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Minolta MD 28-85 f3.5-4.5?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Avoid the Contax 28-70mm...it's a Sigma design Shocked

Please stop this Rumor - this 28-70/3.5-4.5 is *not* a Sigma Design, but the Contax-N 28-80 is! But what's the Difference, Zeiss said, they couldn't do it better, back into their heyday, of this Lens. I remember that quite well. And the 28-80 Contax N Lens does also have the Zeiss T* Multicoatings. But anyway, alone from the MTF, i'd go for the 24-85 N, which does have also 24mm Wideangle. Both both Lenses are AF, and the matching Fringer Adapter for Sony FE Mount is very, extreme expensive.

lol that's from 2012 and you have already replied to that in 2015 Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:

I've got the AF version of this lens which is more or less optically identical (13/10 construction). However, I haven't tested it yet. Wink

Here is a test report of the AF-version: http://www.kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_28_85mm_f_3_5_4_5id270.html

Nothing spectacular, to be honest. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks Graham, anything Sigma probably isn't going to fulfil my needs.

They are several versions of the sigma 28/70
You have to go to the 2.8 version (ex/non ex) for having top iq
I have the sigma 28/70 2.8 1st version in mf (also sold as af)
Versions 2 ,3... are all af

The optical quality is very good .. The only problem of that 1st version is that the barrel is plastic

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I have considered the Tamron SP 28-80 and the Tokina AT-X 28-85 but I expect they are the same level as the Konica 28-135 I already have (designed by Konica, built by Tokina, also sold as a Tokina AT-X lens) and I'd really like to have better than I already have or not really worth it.

I have the tokina atx 28-135 .. VERY handy (smooth / good minimum focusing distance) but the iq was medium .. I presume the konica version has more strict controls
I have also the tamron sp 28-135 .. IQ Seems (no field test) better but it is not handy (minimum focusing distance + stiff zoom action)
i can sell both

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Antoine wrote:

I've got the AF version of this lens which is more or less optically identical (13/10 construction). However, I haven't tested it yet. Wink

Here is a test report of the AF-version: http://www.kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_28_85mm_f_3_5_4_5id270.html

Nothing spectacular, to be honest. Wink

I have tested the Minolta AF 28-85mm (same optics as the MD 28-85mm!) against the Yashica ML 28-85 and two examples of the Nikkor AF 28-85mm. Considering detail resolution in the infinity range, the Minolta was the best. In addition, the Yashica ML is prone to quite extreme distortion, depending on the focusing distance. Vignetting wide open and at f5.6 is a problem with the Minolta, though, especially at f=28mm.

S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 28-80 has been an excellent lens for my use.
I have two copies of it. One is more used than the other.

Across cameras from a 400D/XTi, 40D, 50D and 5D Mk IV, it's a great performer.

It offers accurate color rendition, nice sharpness, good contrast, and very pleasing results
for overall scene.

These are from my old XTi through the lens.
They are minimally processed.

Color rendition of the XTi was never great to begin with, and I gave up on correcting it
when I got the 40D. But I think these pictures offer the sharpness and detail quality
the lens can provide.