Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 500mm F/8 (55BB) Mirror Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
I just bought one of these, with a X2 converter and OM adaptall, for £95 at a charity shop. I'm taking it back in the morning, it's a bad copy, soft and no contrast at all. Sad

Was there any obvious damage or fungus?

No fungus, the glass was spotless and it seemed fine mechanically. It was a well used lens, the paint was worn smooth on the corners so I thought it would be a well loved lens. Perhaps it was, but not any more - there was no focus in it at any distance, and no contrast either. I guess it's been dropped and didn't damage the body but dislodged some optics. Anyway, I got a refund and it's now probably in a bin behind the shop. Sad
It's not a lens I was desperate for, but I had seen this thread before and knew it was a great lens. So I chanced it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael - I disagree, coal has an albedo of about 0.1 and Moon I read that is less (0.07). Maybe the 0.12 figure is overall, on the whole sphere, counting also the "dark" side, which is accualy a lot brighter. But this doesn't make a difference to the conclusion that overexposing two stops compared to a sunlit scene on Earth is the correct exposure Sad

I have to try out my 55BB as well to see what it can do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, that is a shame.... oh well there is always next time and it may be at an even better price.. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dusted off my 55BB and took some test shots today. Nothing spectacular about the photos. But they are good representations of what the lens can do, I think. I must say, this is the best mirror I've ever owned.

This first pair of shots is of a water dispensing kiosk about 400 meters from my house. I have come to use this kiosk as a test for my telephoto lenses, 300mm and longer. The text "We care about the water you drink" is what I focus on, and I use this to judge lens resolution. Compared to my other teles, I would rate this Tamron 55BB as one of my very best. The slight distortions you see in the text is caused by heat convection currents. It was hot today.

First a reduced image of the entire shot of the kiosk:

Then a 100% crop, showing the text.

Next is a fire hydrant, about 100 meters from my location. I focused on the numbers stenciled onto the hydrant. The first photo is a reduction of the full image. The second is a 100% crop.

Now to try the 55BB's close up capabilities. The reduced, uncropped photo followed by a 100% crop of the oak leaf.

And the last one, another close-up. The left side of my old BMW R90/6 motorcycle's engine.

It's been a while since I've taken photos with such a long focal length. My DSLR handles higher ISOs so poorly that I almost never shoot at an ISO higher than 100. Keeping the shutter speed up was a real challenge. Today was a day with scattered clouds and a pronounced breeze. So every time the sun would duck behind clouds, the shutter speed would plummet. And if a breeze was blowing, it would cause either my subject or my camera to shake, sometimes both. And I was using a stout tripod, but with such a long focal length, even a stout tripod will exhibit tremors. Initially I was trying to photograph some flowers, but I gave up after about twenty attempts and settled on more stationary subjects. I also found that if I focused just using my Mark 1 eyeball and the viewfinder, even if the subject looked plenty sharp, often the focus was just a tad off. Using Live View at 10x provided me with the precision I needed to nail focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether mine is just slightly younger, but on the lens read BBAR MC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well I dusted off my 55BB and took some test shots today. Nothing spectacular about the photos. But they are good representations of what the lens can do, I think. I must say, this is the best mirror I've ever owned.

It's been a while since I've taken photos with such a long focal length. My DSLR handles higher ISOs so poorly that I almost never shoot at an ISO higher than 100. Keeping the shutter speed up was a real challenge. Today was a day with scattered clouds and a pronounced breeze. So every time the sun would duck behind clouds, the shutter speed would plummet. And if a breeze was blowing, it would cause either my subject or my camera to shake, sometimes both. And I was using a stout tripod, but with such a long focal length, even a stout tripod will exhibit tremors. Initially I was trying to photograph some flowers, but I gave up after about twenty attempts and settled on more stationary subjects. I also found that if I focused just using my Mark 1 eyeball and the viewfinder, even if the subject looked plenty sharp, often the focus was just a tad off. Using Live View at 10x provided me with the precision I needed to nail focus.

It reminds me of trying to nab focus on cockatoos with my 80-210 Tamron zoom. It's not easy with such a narrow depth of field when the subject is far away. Your samples look quite good.

One question I have is whether or not you have tried the Samyang 500mm mirror lens to compare against this? The advertisement for the new Samyang F8 says the images are sharp. How would it compare to this Tamron?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Samyang mirror a while back -- the 800mm f/8 mirror. I was very disappointed in it. It was incapable of delivering acceptably sharp photos, so I returned it. But I think that I just got a bad copy. Because I've seen some excellent photos taken with the 800/8 Samyang. I was considering buying another when I fell into a deal on this Tamron 55BB. Since I knew how good the 55BB was from previous reports and images here at this forum, I was confident that it would be good. I had a 30-day return privilege on it, so I wasn't worried.

So anyway, as for the Samyangs, I've heard that the 500/8 is just okay, but that the 500/6.3 and the 800/8 mirrors are excellent. Apparently Samyang has some issues with regard to consistency, though, so be sure to buy from a source that offers a satisfaction guarantee so you can return it if you got a bad copy.

One thing I really didn't like about the Samyang, and it would have been a problem even if it wasn't optically compromised, is the focusing collar only turns through 90 degrees as I recall. The 55BB's is almost 360, if I'm not mistaken. 90 degrees is way too short of a throw when you're trying to nail focus with such a narrow depth of field. I really like the extra rotation that the 55BB provides.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. In time I may buy a 500mm Samyang just to try it out. The information has been very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still i think the tamron 55BB could have even longer focus throw.
midrange is good to focus, but from 80-100 meters and longer it still very difficult to focus.
dof is razor thin at 80 meters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, at first I thought the 55BB's long focus would have been plenty. But when I was actually out giving it a workout yesterday, I was surprised at how just the tiniest adjustment -- couldn't have been more than a few minutes of arc -- would bring the image from sharp to fuzzy, and vice versa. So, yeah, it would be nice if the focus throw were even longer. But greater than 360 results in problems wrt the scale on the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a decent copy of the 55BB and I'm impressed with the images I'm getting, both at long and short subject distances. I'm also pretty satisfied with the contrast in the images, my copy doesn't really leave a lot on the table in that respect when compared to any other sub $1000 long teles I've used.

I do have one gripe though... when I shoot it on my Sony a900, the Sony's JPEG engine insists on making the images look overexposed, not just a little either, like 1 to 2 stops, then when I look at the RAW files from shots that I've exposure compensated to produce good looking in-camera JPEGs, I have to compensate the exposures by... you guessed it, 1 to 2 stops over to get correct tonal range back. Has anyone else experienced this quirk when using the 55BB? (or other mirror lenses)

DSC07898 by David Wimmer, on Flickr[/img]

DSC07883 by David Wimmer, on Flickr

DSC07875 by David Wimmer, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awa54 wrote:
I do have one gripe though... when I shoot it on my Sony a900, the Sony's JPEG engine insists on making the images look overexposed, not just a little either, like 1 to 2 stops, then when I look at the RAW files from shots that I've exposure compensated to produce good looking in-camera JPEGs, I have to compensate the exposures by... you guessed it, 1 to 2 stops over to get correct tonal range back. Has anyone else experienced this quirk when using the 55BB? (or other mirror lenses)

Hello David.

I'm not a Sony owner, but can tell that I didn't have such issue with Canon (40D and 5D MkII) and Fujifilm (X-E1 and X-Pro2).

I agree with you that this is a very fine lens, even for proxiphoto.

Some samples taken with my 55B
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-500mm-f8-t49322,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/various-pics-with-tamron-sp-500-f8-t40788,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/macroglossum-stellatarum-tamron-sp-500-f8-t40401,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/visit-at-the-zoo-tamron-sp-500-f8-part-1-t37284,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-500-f8-some-more-pictures-t36499,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html

Two sample shots with this lens :

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
still i think the tamron 55BB could have even longer focus throw.
midrange is good to focus, but from 80-100 meters and longer it still very difficult to focus.
dof is razor thin at 80 meters.

100% agreed! jt