Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Red Shawl - Takumar 2/58mm (Sonnar Type) - Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Red Shawl - Takumar 2/58mm (Sonnar Type) - Sony a850 Reply with quote

Anastasia wanted to debut the new shawl that she crocheted so I decided to make this series my first attempt to use the famed Takumar 2/58mm.
1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

And hey, why not 2 bonus pictures from the Distagon ZS 2/35mm:
9.)

10.)

Thanks for looking!
~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set but that bokeh makes me dizzy! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series - my favourite is #8. I like the bokeh btw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised to see the radial effect coming from the takumar. The bokeh is very smooth close up, like most sonnars, but it gets a little busy at middle/long distances. The highlights are still not as strongly defined as they would be with a double-Gauss design. #8 is just a killer for any lens type.

Looking at samples from others I would say around 90% of them are close-ups so I think it gives an uneven impression that this Tak renders nothing but smooth. Good for me. I hate a simple, even blur.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set, nice colors and contrast , nice 3D effect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of subjective prefernces about bokeh, and considering that the ability of the photographer and the model surely helped, this really seems a top class lens' performance to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, as always! Smile
But 58/2 and the bokeh looks/sounds actually more like a Biotar (and not Sonnar) formula Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch series, both the model and the shawl look gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the comments.

Here's the lens: http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html - 3rd column under the heading that reads "(Preset) Takumar Lenses in M42 (1957-1962)."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stasia knows how to accessorize, matching lipstick! Smile 4 and 10 are my faves, well done, Marc!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 with awesome range of tones, & #10 are my favorites.

The shawl is beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good series, besides a beautiful model it shows the lens performance very well, also the colors, greens and reds most early Takumars seem to do specially well.

themoleman342 wrote:
I was a bit surprised to see the radial effect coming from the takumar. The bokeh is very smooth close up, like most sonnars, but it gets a little busy at middle/long distances. The highlights are still not as strongly defined as they would be with a double-Gauss design. #8 is just a killer for any lens type.

Looking at samples from others I would say around 90% of them are close-ups so I think it gives an uneven impression that this Tak renders nothing but smooth. Good for me. I hate a simple, even blur.

right, same here. I hardly ever have used this lens for middle / long distances and was quite surprised of by the bokeh of some of your long distance photos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, look at that bokeh! Surprised Good thing the colour contrast draws enough attention, so the bokeh is actually a bonus and not a distraction. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is a bit distracting after my taste, but interesting. Off-center framing can be a challenge.

According to samples photos I have seen, the close range is superb. For portraits, that can cover head shots, and may be a little more, but that can be covered by an 85 sonnar.

Am I wrong in my assumption?
Is there other properties of the lens that can be interesting than the bokeh?

I have both 85 sonnar/planar, 90/2.8 sonnar. Zeiss 85/2.8 and 90/2.8 cost approx the same of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there other properties of the lens that can be interesting than the bokeh?

I would say yes. Things like color rendition, contrast (micro and macro), vignetting, distortion, acutence, etc. all make a lens "interesting." Digital processing, however, has made these aspects less important. PP can "correct" or alter everything listed. This wasn't as true in the days of film. Bokeh is still one thing that would be very time consuming to change or create.