Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 M39 adaptor focus problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 M39 adaptor focus problem Reply with quote

Hi bruzzo here I've opened a thread awhile ago asking which Helios 44 I should get and I've finally received my 44-2 today! The problem is, the mount is M39 which I have an adaptor for and it fits perfectly to the mount. But when I turned on my camera and try focusing, it doesn't seem to focus even when I've turned the focusing ring from one end to the other. The screen is out of focus all the time. I thought only the 44-3 has this sort of problem and so I tried to avoid it. But looks like some 44-2 also has the focusing problem?

I've done a search on google and found a discussion:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/helios44/discuss/72157629972141006/

looks like the m39 version has the same registration distance as the m42 but just with a m39 mount (no idea why) and so theoretically I need a M42 adaptor and then attach a M42 to M39 ring/converter on top in order to use this lens?

Or are there any other possible reasons this is happening and the solution?

Btw, I'm totally new to Russian lenses and I found out that f16 is actually wide open aperture and so the numbers are the other way round. Is that normal? lol thanks!

Bruzzo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from one of your early posts that you have a NEX 5N camera. Where did you get your adapter from ? ebay ? The only "M39" adapters I see there are designed for use with Leica Rangefinder lenses whose register (mount sensor distance) is much shorter than that of the Helios 44-2. If you have one of these you won't be able to focus your lens. It will be focussed beyond infinity (if that means anything) for all settings of the focus ring.

The"normal" Zenit M39 and M42 registers are 45.2 and 45.5 mm respectively - according to Zenit data sheets, manuals, etc. If that is true then using an M39-M42 ring with an M42-NEX adapter means that you will not be able to focus to infinity - if your lens has the "normal" register. During the changeover, from M39 to M42, Zenit made some lenses with an M39 mount and a 45.5 mm register. If you have one of these you will be OK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, many nex to m42 adapters make lenses go a from little bit to quite a lot past infinite, so you will easily be able to reach infinite even if your lens has 45,2 mm register distance.

For the focusing problem, I'm almost sure sichko is right: you have an m39 rf adapter for an m39 reflex lens, so nothing will ever be in focus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Sichko is exactly right. My camera is the NEX 5N. The M39 adapter I have is a lot thinner than the M42. I guess this is for the Leica rangefinder m39 and not the zenit m39. Hence, I guess what I have to do is get a M39 to M42 ring, put it on a M42 adapter, and see if the one I have is the 45.2mm or the 45.5mm one.

Either way, good to know. Luckily it's not an expensive lens. And the worst case scenario is to use the lens on portraits and close ups only which I guess I can live with. Will go look for a m39 to m42 ring tomorrow and see how it goes.

Btw I did a search on google and found out that the reverse aperture marking is actually a russian aperture preset thing. Here's my understanding:

There are two aperture rings, one is the normal one, the other the preset.
If you set the preset to say 5.6, and turn the normal one to 5.6, your aperture is actually wide open for u to focus. when u set the normal ring to wide open, the aperture is actually 5.6, the one u preset to. Is my understanding correct on how to use the preset ring?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works that with a ring you set the desired aperture, and with the other you can quickly switch from wide open (for focusing) to your previously set aperture.
Actually with live view I only use the second ring to steplessly set my aperture.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: m39-m42 Reply with quote

Hi Bruzzo,

Firstly, ah think ye have a Helios 44, not a 44-2. Helios 44 2/58? It should read Helios-44-2 2/58, for the 44-2 model.

Ah have 2 Helios 44s, one silver with M39 thread, the other black with the M42 ...

The M39 version has the same lens-film distance as the M42 versions. My M39 was built in 1961. Ah use it on my Sony A700 with a 39-42 adaptor ring, not a 42-39. This focuses tae infinity by coupling the lens with the M39 ring + 39/42 adaptor to a Sony/Minolta M42 adaptor (non-electronic) made by Fotodiox. It also focuses tae infinity on my Minolta Dynax 8000i film camera (with adaptor).

Ah can use A-Prio with Direct Manual Focus on my Sony with these adaptors and virtually all my menus work using this method. Ah understand that ye need the Nex mount but it should focus tae infinity, unless, as ye said ye have the wrong mount.

When focusing ye should first set the aperture on the preset ring, eg f11, then open the aperture ring wide for focusing; once focused, close the aperture ring fully and take the shot. Closing the aperture ring fully , will give ye f11 (as above).

Cool