Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fisheye that clears 5D mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Fisheye that clears 5D mirror Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a manual 180 degree full frame fisheye to use on 5D mk ii. Main use will be taking milky way shots, so f2.8 is prefered.
I know that minolta fisheye doesn't clear the mirror (probably then also the leica elmarit doesn't). I am not yet ready to give my 5D a mirror shave, so I am looking for alternatives. Are there any other fisheyes than zenitar that work with 5D (just has to clear the mirror- any adaptations are not an obstacle). Does somebody have experience with Nikkor ais fisheye?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fisheye that clears 5D mirror Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a manual 180 degree full frame fisheye to use on 5D mk ii.

Sure... http://www.ebay.de/itm/Opteka-6-5mm-f-3-5-Aspherical-Circular-Fisheye-Lens-for-Canon-EOS-DSLR-Cameras-/370786678737?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56549bb7d1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... But not quite what I am looking, by full frame 180 degree I meant the one that covers diagonal 180, not a circular fisheye.
I would prefer legacy lenses, if not modern MF are ok...autofocus is a no-go for a fisheye in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
Thanks... But not quite what I am looking, by full frame 180 degree I meant the one that covers diagonal 180, not a circular fisheye.
I would prefer legacy lenses, if not modern MF are ok...autofocus is a no-go for a fisheye in my opinion.

There is also the Bower / Rokinon / Walimex 8mm fisheye.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
sammo wrote:

That one's for crop cameras isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Ai/Ai-S would work without issue. There's also the Nikon 16mm f/3.5, but it is neither f2.8 or 180 degrees (merely 170 degrees).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Bille wrote:
sammo wrote:

That one's for crop cameras isn't it?

Those ones are the Samyang 8mm, and it's for crop cameras. I've tried it on a Canon 5D, and you can see the built in lens hood in the corners. However, it might be worth considering because you can always crop it a little. The APS-C FOV is 180 degrees (or 167 degrees on a Canon APS-C), so you still get the full 180 degrees on a FF Canon, and partial cropping will probably bring the Canon 5D Mk ii down to around 15 Mpixel, because the dark corners will not be quite as obtrusive in a dark sky.

I'll see if I can post an example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fisheye that clears 5D mirror Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
.... Are there any other fisheyes than zenitar that work with 5D (just has to clear the mirror- any adaptations are not an obstacle). Does somebody have experience with Nikkor ais fisheye?

What is about the Zenitar 16?
Have you tried the Zenitar 16 without filter?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine tried out my fisheye Takumar f4/17 that comes in M42 on his Canon 5D ( classic ), it cleared the mirror and he was very impressed by the performance.

his 'test' photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/padiej/sets/72157625042954612/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fisheye that clears 5D mirror Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
sammo wrote:
.... Are there any other fisheyes than zenitar that work with 5D (just has to clear the mirror- any adaptations are not an obstacle). Does somebody have experience with Nikkor ais fisheye?

Not yet, but I have my eye on one on a local auction site, hope I get it to check it out. I am a bit sceptical about the optical qualty...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
I would think that the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Ai/Ai-S would work without issue. There's also the Nikon 16mm f/3.5, but it is neither f2.8 or 180 degrees (merely 170 degrees).

I would think this as well, but I am not sure. I don't want to go into buying a quite expensive lens, just to test it if it really works Smile
170, 180...it's all fine as long as it's a diagonal, not a circular fisheye Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
Andrew G. wrote:

I would think this as well, but I am not sure. I don't want to go into buying a quite expensive lens, just to test it if it really works Smile
170, 180...it's all fine as long as it's a diagonal, not a circular fisheye Smile

Both of these lenses are diagonal and the rear elements don't protrude any farther than any other Nikon lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a bit to this, since you want to have "full frame fisheye," for your 5D Mik II that is a 180 degree field of view, but not a circle, you want a 15mm or 16mm lens. 6-8mm will give you a circular image.

I would recommend either the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 or f/3.5. Neither have a protruding rear element. Or the Zenitar. It doesn't appear to have a protruding rear element either, but I can't say for sure because there is no pic of the rear of the lens. There's a seller on eBay who has the Zenitar new for $215US. That's cheaper than the used Nikkors.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fisheye that clears 5D mirror Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
ZoneV wrote:
sammo wrote:

Not yet, but I have my eye on one on a local auction site, hope I get it to check it out. I am a bit sceptical about the optical qualty...

My 5D classic mirror didn't hit my M42 Zenitar 16, without filter, infinity adjusted.

I also have the 1:4/17 S-M-C Takumar.

IQ and FOV are similar. Zenitar is faster, for longer (brighter) exposures before obvious star trails. Both (all?) lenses exhibit peripheral coma wide open and closed slightly. The price for better IQ is a big jump. I would try the Nikkors next... Ultimate for me would be the 8mm nikkor full-sky camera lens on ff mirrorless camera, de-fish image digitally...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. For now, I will try to get the Zenitar from the local auction site. If I will like the whole fisheye idea I will consider a Nikkor.

It's really a pitty that the 5D mirror is so big. Mine hits if something protrudes even less than 1mm from the adapter Confused I really hoped for the minolta 16mm fisheye to work..but it protrudes 2mm out from the adapted mount. I modified it by using a thin minolta-EF adapter and with some minor modifications was able to set the infinity focus. It's sharp from wide open in the center and quite good at the corners of a crop. Is maybe somebody there with a shaved mirror camera interested for it? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Minolta 16mm is an awesome lens. I owned one years ago and was very impressed with it. Why not have your 5DII's mirror shaved so you can use it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the 5D mk ii one week ago Smile I don't think I am ready yet to modify it...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
I just got the 5D mk ii one week ago Smile I don't think I am ready yet to modify it...

I know exactly how you feel, I have a Mkii coming next week and I think it'll be a long time, if ever, before I feel brave enough to shave the mirror.
Actually, I doubt I could do that to the camera, I'll just have to limit myself to lenses which work with it as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaving the mirror doesn't affect performance, does it? I mean, after shaving, are you missing the bottom portion of the image through the viewfinder?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Shaving the mirror doesn't affect performance, does it? I mean, after shaving, are you missing the bottom portion of the image through the viewfinder?

I was wondering that too. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the upper part of the image that it effects...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
Should be the upper part of the image that it effects...

Oh, that's right! The image is inverted when it exits the lens. So let me rephrase: After shaving, are you missing the top portion of the image when looking through the viewfinder?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Fish-eye-Takumar 17mm f/4 in M42 as Kuuan pictured earlier, and it works just fine on my 5D MII - no mirror clearance problem at all. Why do you need f/2.8 or faster?

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation:
Samyang 14/2.8 is able to deliver high quality FF pictures, is not very fishy though but insanly crispy sharp, wide even on APS-C and it's also very fast! It's optically very well corrected except distortion, which can be handled easily with PP! Especially for taking pictures of the milky way etc. it will be hard to beat even by much more expensive lenses!
Samples: http://www.flickriver.com/search/samyang+14/interesting/
There are also nice samples here in the forum.

Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye (M42) is also very nice when stopped down to ~F8 and a little cheaper than Samyang in western Europe, often much cheaper in US or eastern Europe.

Peleng 8/3.5 (M42) is already circular without shaving, it's sharp but I don't like it for some reason.

You could also shave the hood of the Samyang (/Rokinon, Walimex, Vivitar Series 1, whatever) 8/3.5 to get an circular fisheye (GIDF) but as Peleng it won't reach full coverage. Angle of view will be ~177°
It would be my recommendation for 1.5x APS-C

All other good ones I know are generally very expensive or not easy to adapt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My recommendation:
Samyang 14/2.8 is able to deliver high quality FF pictures, is not very fishy though but insanly crispy sharp, wide even on APS-C and it's also very fast! It's optically very well corrected except distortion, which can be handled easily with PP! Especially for taking pictures of the milky way etc. it will be hard to beat even by much more expensive lenses!
Samples: http://www.flickriver.com/search/samyang+14/interesting/
There are also nice samples here in the forum.

I'm pretty sure this lens is an outright copy of the Canon FD 14mm f/2.8 L lens. Now that is one fabulous lens! I've never owned one, but I got to play around with a camera onto which one was mounted. It was amazing -- dead straight lines but with a 114 degree angle of view -- spectacular.

Every image I've seen taken by the 14mm Samyang has been impressive. It's on my "to buy" list.