Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica 28-90 : any experience?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Leica 28-90 : any experience? Reply with quote

Why does this lens get such rave reviews? Fan club fueled reputation or is it really that good?

Any members here with hands-on experience with this lens?

Thank you,
Hari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just the chance to take some photos with it once (on a R9 with the DMR).
And I only could see the photos on that smallish display. So I can't really judge on the performance.

The lens definitely has that amazing Leica "feel". It's a joy to turn the rings etc.
But it's huge ans heavy! Nothing really for the "small set". Wink

The owner loves it, also for its IQ, so he said. And all the experts I have talked to about it, e.g. Mr. Karbe, chief designer at Leica, think that this is one of the few zoom lenses that can catch up to great primes!

That is one of the reasons why it is very expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I had just the chance to take some photos with it once (on a R9 with the DMR).
And I only could see the photos on that smallish display. So I can't really judge on the performance.

The lens definitely has that amazing Leica "feel". It's a joy to turn the rings etc.
But it's huge ans heavy! Nothing really for the "small set". Wink

The owner loves it, also for its IQ, so he said. And all the experts I have talked to about it, e.g. Mr. Karbe, chief designer at Leica, think that this is one of the few zoom lenses that can catch up to great primes!

That is one of the reasons why it is very expensive.

Thank you for the info Carsten

How cool that you met Peter Karbe!

After some intenet research, I think the C/Y Zeiss 28-85 will do just fine for 10% of the cost ... the 35-70 is stellar but i will appreciate the slightly wider and slightly longer reach of the 28-85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

How cool that you met Peter Karbe!

Oh, I have met and talked to him several times. He's a regular guest at our Leica Historica meetings and of course always present at the "Leica Erlebnistage" in Wetzlar. You should come one day.

Hari wrote:

After some intenet research, I think the C/Y Zeiss 28-85 will do just fine for 10% of the cost ...

This is probably true, as it is another excellent zoom.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax 28-85 is a very handy lens to have for walkarounds.
But if you compare it with Contax primes, it's not at the same level. It has some weaknesses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: LEICA R 28-90mm Reply with quote

The LEICA R 28-90mm is an excellent lens, but it is optical not better than the earlier born excellent C/Y ZEISS Vario-Sonnar 28-85mm glass, based on comparable MTF measurements! But I doubt, that the difference can be seen on actual taken images! The Leica R 28-90mm is a two ring zoom, while the C/Y Zeiss 28-85mm is push/pull zoom lens. According to Zeiss, the C/Y Vario-Sonnar 28-85mm ranges very close to APO qualities!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: LEICA R 28-90mm Reply with quote

[quote="OPAL"]The LEICA R 28-90mm is an excellent lens, but it is optical not better than the earlier born excellent C/Y ZEISS Vario-Sonnar 28-85mm glass, based on comparable MTF measurements! But I doubt, that the difference can be seen on actual taken images! quote]

I've no experience of either lens, but I'm throughly convinced that actual photography can show up how a lens works in a more meaningful way than MTF curves do. I'm increasingly persuaded that "better" is often an inappropriate term when looking at how lenses compare - unless we break down those comparison into specific and compartmentalised aspects of how they work. Even then, I believe that "preferable" is frequently a safer term when used in subjective assessments.

Right, now I'll shut up and drink my coffee Smile. Or even go and take some photos with lenses I do own !