Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Sonnar 13.5cm/F4 in LTM/M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: CZJ Sonnar 13.5cm/F4 in LTM/M39 Reply with quote

During WW2 Zeiss/Jena produced RF lenses also in Leica LTM/M39 mount in limited quantities. I've acquired such a lens made in 1941 and received it today.
It's besides some minor differences and different glass more or less the prototype for the later Jupiter-11 lenses produced in Russia.

Here is a picture of both lenses for comparison:

Some quick and dirty example pictures shot with Sony A7R II all fully open at F4 (all clickable):

Short distance:

Infinity landscape:

Against the light:

My first impression is that this lens is at least not bad.
However, it's very prone to flare (the last picture was heavily pushed in contrast) and interestingly the CA's seem to increase when stopping down.

Anyway, I'm planning to do a comparison with my other similar 135mm RF lenses (Jupiter-11, Leitz Elmar and Nikkor-Q.C.) next and will report here about my findings.
It remains to be seen if the Zeiss original will be able to beat it's Russian clone or the Japanese Sonnar (Nikkor). The Elmar is better anyway, that seems to be clear already.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this link on the 135 F4 Triotar thread.

https://cameraderie.org/threads/carl-zeiss-jena-13-5cm-f4-sonnar-uncoated.39361/

This is in regard to my 1937 Uncoated CZJ uncoated 13.5cm F4, converted to LTM. No push in contrast on any of the images. Some string backlit subjects. I used a vented hood made for a 50mm lens.

Check for haze and coating marks, especially on each side of the aperture blades. I cleaned my lens, a world of difference. The 13.5cm F4 comes apart easily.

I found the lens to be sharper than my 1970 J-11. I have a KMZ J-11 in mint condition coming in, will compare the two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough to see the flowers in #1 are fabric, but what in the world is those branches with sacks alongside?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Check for haze and coating marks, especially on each side of the aperture blades.

That's always the first control after unpacking when I receive a "new" used lens. Be assured that there is no haze or alike inside the lens; i.e. the glass is perfectly clear. The lens comes from a very trustworthy seller (a big professional shop where only new and approved used equipment is sold with guarantee).

visualopsins wrote:
...but what in the world is those branches with sacks alongside?

Laugh 1 These metal branches with the glass pearls are something for decoration without special purpose. I have no idea where my wife found them.