Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

My latest acquisition is this Elicar 90mm f2.5 macro, I've been looking for a 1:1 macro but the prices have been a little too much. I found this one in 'as new' condition for under £100 so I jumped at the opportunity. For once the description was correct, it does look almost new and the elements are spotless.

I was going to wait for good weather before trying it out but I couldn't do it Embarassed so I went out today in the rain. Turned out to be a good idea because I found a dragonfly sitting on a flower.
I only fired a few shots before I started to be eaten alive by midges so I had to give up and head home. Evil or Very Mad

I got one good shot Cool

Anyone here got an ID for this fella?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite amazing results! Congratulations to youzr excellent new lens!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect result and a nice looking lens ....with a lot of useful information on the barrel Smile .... congrats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus and Thomas. Very Happy

I'm pretty sure this is the same lens as the Panagor 90/2.8, re-branded, made by Kino Precision. I think there are 4 or 5 versions overall.
The focus throw is around 990 degrees Surprised
It is multi-coated but it is very prone to flare, I've ordered a hood to see if that helps.
It extends from about 80mm to 175mm in length.
Working distance at 1:1 is 130mm, which is better than I had expected. Smile
It is very well built and feels every bit of it's 600g weight.
It's a bit soft wide open but hey, most lenses are. From f4 it's sharp enough to cut steel. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shot! The insect against the purple background really makes it stand out. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Superb shot! The insect against the purple background really makes it stand out. Smile

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is the same lens as the Panagor 90/2.8, re-branded, made by Kino Precision. I think there are 4 or 5 versions overall.
The focus throw is around 990 degrees Surprised
It is multi-coated but it is very prone to flare, I've ordered a hood to see if that helps.
It extends from about 80mm to 175mm in length.
Working distance at 1:1 is 130mm, which is better than I had expected. Smile
It is very well built and feels every bit of it's 600g weight.
It's a bit soft wide open but hey, most lenses are. From f4 it's sharp enough to cut steel. Wink

No, it's made by Komine.
The lens made by Kiron is vivitar 100mm and lester a dine 105mm, not this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great details.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is the same lens as the Panagor 90/2.8, re-branded, made by Kino Precision

Yes, it's the same lens as Panagor, Vivitar 90/2.8 and Soligor 90/2.5. However, it's not made by Kino, it's made by Komine. I've had it as Vivitar with a typical Komine 28648012 serial. Btw, I still have a Soligor version for sale.

Edit: hehe, kyonthinh beat me to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i have soligor too, bought from a very good guy in evilbay, my only macro lens because i dont need anything else when i have this good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Scot, very nice dragonfly !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panagor lenses are made by Kiron so maybe the Panagor one is different. Panagor was the trade name used by Kiron, no doubt about that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Panagor lenses are made by Kiron so maybe the Panagor one is different. Panagor was the trade name used by Kiron, no doubt about that.

This is simply incorrect, Panagor is not Kino's trade mark, simply some of Kino's lenses were sold under Panagor brand name.
Quote:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kino_Precision_Industries
Kino also manufactured lenses for Soligor, Jaca Corporation (Panagor, Elicar), and Tapak International (Elicar).

Quote:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Jaca_Corporation
Jaca Corporation was a Japanese distributor of rebranded photographic gear with a business model similar to the US company, Vivitar. Their products were designed and made by other companies under contract, then sold under Jaca brand names. They are most famous for their Elicar and Panagor brand lenses, made by a variety of Japanese lens manufacturers which included Komine and Kino Precision.

Panagor 90mm and 55mm 1:1 macros are both identical in appearance to Komine made Vivitars, there is no reason to doubt that they were made by Komine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Shocked Do you remember the settings you used to get that very nice shot? I got the Rokunar branded version which is the same as this one. I normaly just put the aperture at max and try to get a focused picture... maybe I'm doing it wrong ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Shocked Do you remember the settings you used to get that very nice shot? I got the Rokunar branded version which is the same as this one. I normaly just put the aperture at max and try to get a focused picture... maybe I'm doing it wrong ?

I would also like to know the shutter speed and aperture and if you used a tripod for this truly excellent shot!

Andreq, when you say you put the aperture at max, do you mean you set the aperture wide open or stopped down all the way? There is so little depth of field when you are focusing close-up, you usually want to shoot at the smallest aperture (closed down) you can while avoiding diffraction-based softness. I usually shoot pics like this at f/16 or f/22. -Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments guys Very Happy
I guess it would be nice to know who made the lens but it really isn't that important to me Wink
What is important is the lens performance, it can be made by Lego for all I care Laughing

The shot of the dragonfly was at 1/250 ISO200 and handheld. I'm gonna guess the aperture was around 8 or 11, the adapter I have doesn't record the aperture, sorry.
I do all my macros handheld, my set-up can be seen in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/my-macro-rig-t51050.html Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result indeed! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According www.olypedia.de, this lens the Komine manufactured and sold under the Vivitar brand, Elicar, Panagor, Rokunar, Soligor ...

I love that lens (I have the version Panagor), but I'll never get the results you get: great picture Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot, and your rig is quite impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Very nice result indeed! Very Happy

Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Very nice shot, and your rig is quite impressive!

Thanks Very Happy
My macro rig is very simple, especially compared to some I've seen around the web. It's not too heavy, I can hand-hold it for a few hours before my arms drop off. Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thundertwin72 wrote:
According www.olypedia.de, this lens the Komine manufactured and sold under the Vivitar brand, Elicar, Panagor, Rokunar, Soligor ...

I love that lens (I have the version Panagor), but I'll never get the results you get: great picture Smile

Thanks for the information and compliment. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Ashnea sp (Hawker dragonfly) ??? Maybe Ashnea cyanea (female) (Southern Hawker) but I'm far from certain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Ashnea sp (Hawker dragonfly) ??? Maybe Ashnea cyanea (female) (Southern Hawker) but I'm far from certain.

Well I searched online and the nearest I found was a Yellow-Stripped Hunter, but all the images I saw were different from each other. I guess I need to join a dragonfly forum to find a definitive answer. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elicar 90/2.5 V-HQ macro Reply with quote

[quote="pdccameras"]
Andreq wrote:

Andreq, when you say you put the aperture at max, do you mean you set the aperture wide open or stopped down all the way? There is so little depth of field when you are focusing close-up, you usually want to shoot at the smallest aperture (closed down) you can while avoiding diffraction-based softness. I usually shoot pics like this at f/16 or f/22. -Paul

By max I mean closed down to its smalled possible value.. f22 for this particular lens.