Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Winter Wildlife (Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Winter Wildlife (Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset) Reply with quote

Here's one more series from this past winter.

While out hiking, I had a chance to photograph some wildlife. These were shot with the Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset.

The first wildlife for the day was a small group of juvenile Mule Deer bucks. Two had already lost their antlers

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

mule deer 5 Feb 2012 5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Later I saw a large group of Bull elk in the distance and started hiking towards them. As I got closer, I seen that there were a few coyotes wandering among the herd. This made the herd nervous, so I wasn't able to approach them as close as I usually do.

elk 5 Feb 2012 1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Later on in the day, towards sunset, I saw another herd of bull elk and I was able to get a little closer. I didn't spend much time trying to get closer, since the sun was setting and I only had a light pair of gloves on (hands were getting pretty numb trying to hold onto the camera Smile)

elk 5 Feb 2012 3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

This bull elk was by the side of the road as I headed home this evening

elk 5 Feb 2012 8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Wildlife (Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset) Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:

elk 5 Feb 2012 5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

elk 5 Feb 2012 6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

Lovely series, many thanks for sharing Smile It must have felt incredible being that close! And cold Laughing

The above images are my favourites, really lovely captures Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are fortunate to live in such a wonderful place to have such a opportunityto take these shots. Very nice series

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, natural looking shots. The combination of camera, lens and photographer produced a bit of magic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb reportage, the deers even smile to you !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It goes to show why the old Takumars are so great... Especially in the hands of experienced photographers, and you clearly are one Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Wildlife (Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset) Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Lovely series, many thanks for sharing Smile It must have felt incredible being that close! And cold Laughing

The above images are my favourites, really lovely captures Smile

Thanks. It is great to be able to get close to and spend time with these magnificent animals. I'm kind of lucky that I live where I do, because I can usually see herds of elk, deer, or mountain goats on nearly every outing.

Yeah, it was pretty dark dreary and cold that day, but that is all part of the fun of spending a winter day in the high country.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
You are fortunate to live in such a wonderful place to have such a opportunityto take these shots. Very nice series

Thank you. Yes, I am very fortunate to live where I do. I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Great, natural looking shots. The combination of camera, lens and photographer produced a bit of magic.

Thanks, I really appreciate the compliments! Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb reportage, the deers even smile to you !

Thanks. And it is strange to say, but many times I feel that many of these animals do have their own personalities, not just reacting to pure instinct.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It goes to show why the old Takumars are so great... Especially in the hands of experienced photographers, and you clearly are one Smile

I'm glad you liked the series! After buying my first Takumar, I knew that I'd never use a modern lens again. I now have a large assortment of Takumars and one Tair 3 and I use them exclusively. I no longer own any modern lenses or any auto-focus lenses. The way these old lenses render, the sharpness, IQ and especially the bokeh with the Presets, I just can't think of a reason to use a modern lens.

The Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset is the BEST 200mm lens I've found so far. I especially like the Preset design since it gives excellent bokeh and many times renders very 3D images.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the excellent images, Colorado CJ. Many of the images I have seen with this lens have an almost "3D" look about them. Maybe it is the 18 aperture blades (or do you get that effect with it wide open?) EDIT: I see from this thread that you say you are getting that 3D effect with it wide open. http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/168414-takumar-200mm-f3-5-preset-samples-2.html

I just received my first copy of this lens. Crazy to find a pixie dust lens like this for under $40 shipped. Not sure which version you have, Colorado CJ, but mine is the 1958 variant. Cosmetically it has some wear (something I expect in lenses this old that are good enough to get used often!) but optically and mechanically it is in great shape - particularly for a 53+ year old lens.

It seems i'm beginning to accumulate preset lenses. My other presets are:
Carl Zeiss Jena T 40mm f2.8
Vivitar 85mm f1.8
Electric Flektogon 35mm f2.4
Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6
Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 (1:1)

I'll have to post some pics after I get a chance to do some test shots on my K-5.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW 200mm got you pretty close. I'm surprised that they didn't run away. Did you use a teleconverter with the lens? Also did you wear camo to hide? I know a bird shooter that does to get really close to them.

That is a very nice area you have there. I hope I have luck in Spokane, Washington next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

+1 Stunning Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing series - you are making the most of the opportunities given to you with the equipment you have. Bravo

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing pictures. The picture with the coyote and the one with the magpies are fascinating even if they are not the most visually pleasing of the set. I love to see interaction between species.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
You are fortunate to live in such a wonderful place to have such a opportunity to take these shots. Very nice series

My thoughts entirely. For me it was also interesting to compare your bull elk with the red deer we have here in England.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
WOW 200mm got you pretty close. I'm surprised that they didn't run away. Did you use a teleconverter with the lens? Also did you wear camo to hide? I know a bird shooter that does to get really close to them.

That is a very nice area you have there. I hope I have luck in Spokane, Washington next year.

I think Colorado CJ is simply very patient and attuned to the animals, he discusses his technique a bit in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-mule-deer-morning-using-sigma-70-300mm-apo-dg-t51686.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks again everyone for their comments! It's been a while since I've visited this site, so I didn't post this earlier. I need to get back up in the mountains and shoot more photos, I've been so busy lately that my photography is suffering (I haven't really shot anything since before Christmas Shocked )

As for those asking how close I get to the wildlife, the elk are between 50-100 ft away (I can get much closer usually), and the Mule Deer are as close a 10 ft.

It just takes some practice, a lot of patience and knowing how the "read" these animals to get close to them. The time I get spend with these wild animals is something I'll always cherish, the couple of decent photos I get from that time with them are just icing on the cake. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Nicholas Evans now and your pictures keep coming to my mind Smile Looking forward to more when you have time!