Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SuperTak 35mm f3.5 / SMC-M 50 f2 / SMC-A 28 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: SuperTak 35mm f3.5 / SMC-M 50 f2 / SMC-A 28 f2.8 Reply with quote

all taken as jpegs on Pentax K100D at f8, no editing but resized 30%:

SMC-A 28 f2.8

SuperTakumar 35 f3.5

SMS-M 50 f2

taken on tripod, light comes from a window on the left.
I am not sure of these test have any value to anybody at all.
I only had the camera over the weekend and did so many first trials, there are some outside shots as well testing DOF taken wide open ( and at f8 )
if anybody interested I will post them as well.

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please post!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC-A 28mm f2.8 @ f8:

SMC-A 28mm f2.8 @ f2.8:

SuperTakumar 35mm f3.5 @ f8:

SuperTakumar 35mm f3.5 @ f3.5

SMC-M 50mm f2 @ f8:

SMC-M 50mm @ f2:

again as taken, no editing but resized to 30%
had tried to focus at the wall near the eaves gutter, but focusing may not be very exact ( I took them very fast, just before returning the camera to the shop which had let me use it during the weekend - no walk today - no ducks - just in the garden )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I noticed that metering on M42 lenses taken in Av mode is not constant but exposure changes with aperture.
To me it seems that 'usually' ( always? ) photos taken wide open are darker than those taken stopped down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
one thing I noticed that metering on M42 lenses taken in Av mode is not constant but exposure changes with aperture.
To me it seems that 'usually' ( always? ) photos taken wide open are darker than those taken stopped down.

Interesting how different digital cameras respond.

I have a Panasonic L1 and it almost always over exposes when shooting manual lenses wide open. I read an explanation somewhere but did not really understand it - Something to do with the 4/3 sensor design.

I have wondered if this means that most modern cameras rely upon fairly sophisticated communication between the camera body and lens for metering functions and without this they have to fall back to more primitive forms that they are not really designed for. (Later Nikons have this technology of course but then again all except the most expensive versions do not meter at all with manual lenses.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All look pretty decent performers. The 35 does have a noticeable edge over the 28 though when wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite pleased with the Super Takumar 35mm f3.5, a bit less with the SCM-A 28mm f2.8, but then it seems that there aren't that many great 28mm out there. The SMC-M 50mm f2 seems to be quite good, specially if considering that it can be had for close to nothing. The Takumar, SMC-M and SMS-A 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 certainly should outperform it, I'd be curious how they compare to the here mostly preferred Pancolar 50 f1,8.

SuperTak 35mm 3.5:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I am quite pleased with the Super Takumar 35mm f3.5, a bit less with the SCM-A 28mm f2.8, but then it seems that there aren't that many great 28mm out there. The SMC-M 50mm f2 seems to be quite good, specially if considering that it can be had for close to nothing. The Takumar, SMC-M and SMS-A 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 certainly should outperform it, I'd be curious how they compare to the here mostly preferred Pancolar 50 f1,8.

I'm due to pick up my first shots with the Super Takumar 55mm/f2 this lunchtime. It's certainly a lovely lens to use with beautifully smooth focus and nice throw. I've yet to use a bad 50ish f2.