Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Video Shooting Advice with Canon 60D (7D)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Video Shooting Advice with Canon 60D (7D) Reply with quote

I'll be doing a little video shooting, strictly for fun soon with my Canon 60D.

Anyone have any tech tips, how many FPS to select etc. Mainly interested in the technical settings.
Basic advice sought!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot 1920x1080 30p, in the highest bitrate format available, and you can't go wrong - unless you are wanting to slow motion something, then you may choose 1280x720 60p.

One thing I'm always worried about when shooting with CMOS sensor is the rolling shutter: if you plan to shoot while walking around, you should get some kind of support: one of those basic shoulder rigs, or whatever, to just smooth down some of the shakes that will produce that awful "jello" effect on your footage.

What are you going to edit that with?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Shoot 1920x1080 30p, in the highest bitrate format available, and you can't go wrong - unless you are wanting to slow motion something, then you may choose 1280x720 60p.

One thing I'm always worried about when shooting with CMOS sensor is the rolling shutter: if you plan to shoot while walking around, you should get some kind of support: one of those basic shoulder rigs, or whatever, to just smooth down some of the shakes that will produce that awful "jello" effect on your footage.

What are you going to edit that with?

Thanks for the advice! I have very little experience with video. I'll mainly be recording a few interviews. I'll be using iMovie. I also have very limited experience there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have no experience with Imovie, but it should do the job quite right.

The great thing of interviews is that they often can be shot with a tripod, which would solve all the problems above.
But you have to be careful with audio, don't know how the built-in mic of the 60D will behave. Make some tests before, maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I plan on being on a tripod interviewing a 75 year old. I'll try to make her stay mellow.

Good idea on testing for sound.

Last edited by Kram on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a shutter of around 1/60 unless your shooting really fast moving footage (then use something a bit faster)

Find a way to inplement a third point of stabilization or your footage will be horribly shaky (unless your using a tripod)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the wrong forum for DSLR filmmaking. Go to cinema5d. I'm active there. But I came here to talk about lenses only.