Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 200mm f/4 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 200mm f/4 preset Reply with quote

I've owned this lens for a while now, as part of my red text on black Pentacon series (300/4 preset, 200/4 preset, 135/2.8 preset, 135/2.8 electric, 100/2.8 auto, 50/1.8 MC, 30/3.5 preset, 29/2.8 auto). I tried another copy some time ago but was disappointed with sharpness and CA.

I wanted to give the red text version a run out to check that I didn't have a duff copy. Some samples from the Romsey carnival today, all with the 200/4 preset are below. Note, the light was awful i.e. really bright mid day sunshine so there's a bit of highlight clipping and nasty shadows!

All shots at f/4, ISO 100 on the full frame Canon EOS 5D. All shots have had a small contrast boost, small amount of shadows / highlights and resize and small sharpen (30% @ 0.5 pixel).

Click each image for a slightly larger, and sharper version.

100% crops

Conclusion

This is a really interesting lens, not least because it can be picked up in the UK for very little money at the moment (10-20). My copy is sharp enough wide open and has reasonable contrast before any pp. However, the lens suffers purple fringing and the f/4 aperture means creamy backgrounds are harder to come by than when using the 135/2.8. But...the lens does give some pop!

Overall, it's a decent lens for very little. One of the last remaining true manual focus bargains, and can of course be used on most systems with an adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks only okay to me.

I had the Meyer zebra version and the Pentacon plain black version, neither had PF and were sharper than this one.

I didn't realise these was such variation with these, sorry to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens, capable enough but probably not up to todays standards, although I don't know how popular is this focal length.

My only drawback is weight, all metal construction is sometimes an hassle and I do find it a bit too much heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, have you tested your Pentacon in harsh sunlight? The 200/4 has a bit of a reputation for purple fringing at wider apertures in these conditions, but is fine when stopped down.:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13449

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37869

BTW, the other images where I didn't show crops had no visible CA. I just wanted to highlight that it exists in nasty conditions Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation Graham, I think this is a good lens, lot better than price tag suggest. I especially like oldest Meyer Zebra.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Hi Ian, have you tested your Pentacon in harsh sunlight? The 200/4 has a bit of a reputation for purple fringing at wider apertures in these conditions, but is fine when stopped down.:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13449

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37869

BTW, the other images where I didn't show crops had no visible CA. I just wanted to highlight that it exists in nasty conditions Smile

Sadly I can't go out and test mine again as I sold em both, between my Topcor RE Auto 5.6/200 and Konica Hexanon 3.5/200 I had that length covered.

I've archived all my old lens tests, but I don't recall having any PF, and I think I would remember as I hate it and discard all lenses that have it in anything other than the very slightest amount on the brightest highlights.

So I can't really be too certain, but I do know that I have had both good, sharp Pentacon 2.8/135s and soft, not great ones, so there is the variation possibility, earlier ones do seem generally to be better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila Smile

Ian, if I get the chance I will take it out again soon and shoot at f/5.6 to see if it helps. I have to say, for what it is, it still seems good value. But it's definitely harder to focus than my best 200mm lenses, which may be due to the pf.