Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

!Help! lens glass stuck
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: !Help! lens glass stuck Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea please i will appreciate. I started to clean one of my Carl Zeiss lens. There is a dust in rear lens group. I take of metal ring that holds rear glass but there is no way glass came out.
Usually I have just to turn over the lens and hit couple of times but, this glass dot't go out this time.
Next stage I took vacuum toy (that goes on glass) use it ti try to take of lens but nothing. Actually lens moves maybe couple of microns and then nothing. I know it moved because it clicks when I pees it (but only microns).
Is there some way to take it out, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned an old Tessar yesterday and the rear glass is very thick and small in diameter, and it would not come out of the body, although like yours, it was moving slightly. In the end I had to open the aperture and push the glass out with my finger, and it slid out very easily. Being thick the lens had to be dead straight to remove, and replace.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes thats a good way but I m cleaning flektogon and the rear group have 3 glasses so there is no way to push it from other side. There is only one way they coming out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a tiny tiny bit of fluid around the element will reduce the friction and allow it to slide out. Just a drip of distilled water usually works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with themoleman342, you could also use heat to expand the outer ring a bit and it might come out like that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or use both: heath the metal with a hair dryer - for instance - and put a tiny drop of fluid around the lens element then tap gently,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of heat to put to the glass. I personally would not recommend that. I also don't fully understand it. Even if you could heat it enough where the metal would expand, wouldn't doing that actually pinch the glass tighter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

generaly if you cool the whole item first and then heat the outer ring you can create enough space to allow for some movement, bear in mind when you heat a ring even though it is expanding in all directions the particles next to each other in the ring formation expand on each other, creating a gap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
That's a lot of heat to put to the glass. I personally would not recommend that. I also don't fully understand it. Even if you could heat it enough where the metal would expand, wouldn't doing that actually pinch the glass tighter?

Last time I found a lens element stuck was in a Summicron-R 2/50. I had finally removed it heating slowly and gently, adding half drop of lighter fluid around its border and a teeth wood stick gently pulling around the glass borders.
If the glass expands by heat and cool down too fast it cracks, no doubt. But we're talking about some degrees above ambient temp. not melting heat,

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use isopropyl alcohol for shifting anything stuck on a lens. It is a great lubricant, has just the right volatility so it hangs around long enough but eventually evaporates cleanly and is gentle so it won't attack paint and plastic. I also use it as a cutting fluid on the lathe and for tapping, drilling etc. A real wonder fluid in my opinion. A few drops on the lens edge should help free it.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you friends for advises. I finally menage to take it out. I didn't wanted to use heat and I was afraid of using lighter fluid because glass was coted (I didn't wont some chemical reaction).
In the end i used the same oil that I use for lubricating lens (synthetic oil) and put just on the border. I wait 5 min and then I start to move back and forth until oil got inside and then glass went out easy. Later i have to clean glass of oil, but the most important it get out.