Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 600/5.6 ED-IF AI-s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Nikon 600/5.6 ED-IF AI-s Reply with quote

I could possibly trade my mint Micro-Nikkor 70-180 for a very well used Nikkor 600/5.6 ED-IF AI-s. It is the first version that comes in a protective tube, the lettering on the lens is engraved and this version does not have a protective filter up front. The tele is good optically but somewhat beat up externally, a user lens.

I want a long lens for my NEX-5n for waterbirds (I live by the sea). I have a Minolta AF 300/2.8 with matching 2x TC, and I need to step down to get good results. Is the Nikon a better choice?

There is not much information to be found about this lens except that it is sharp wide open, relatively small and that it can have CA problems with some digital sensors (this worries me a little bit). Please share any information you have about this lens. Thanks!

Last edited by Pontus on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my short experience with long tele et sony Nex, I can simply tell you that all my long tele lenses (above 200mm) has much more CA with the nex than with my Nikon D700, that's one of the reason why I really think that the Nex is definitively not the best cam to use with long tele...but that's only my point of view of course and the Nikkor 5.6/600mm is for sure a great lens, I have read only good things about it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NEX-3 and haven't experienced any CA problems with long lenses, but I have only used 3 or 4 longer than 200mm lenses on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most older longer lenses will show some CA unfortunately. The Nex is showing it more as you are cropping the centre to 16MP as opposed to the D700's 12MP, making any CA much more visible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider getting a Nikon or Canon crop or full frame pro body or a crop sensor body with a grip for the extra weight to balance the lens.

If you plan to continue acquiring Nikkor lenses then a Nikon body may be preferred.

If you plan on acquiring a more varied stable of lenses with numerous mounts,then a Canon would be preferred.

The CA on cheap lens is quite pronounced...on some of better legacy super-telephotos there can be CA,but not as pronounced as the cheap super-telephoto lenses.

The CA will be more pronounced with harsh contrasty backgrounds...the CA can be addressed in PP,but even then is sometimes impossible to remove entirely,depending on the amount of CA.

Shooting RAW vs JPEG is a prerequisite of more successful CA removal if there is a large amount of uncontrolled CA.

There are those who endorse the 6.4 to 8.2µm pixel size with these older lenses,because it makes PP for CA a little easier...but there are those who are quite adept at PP and deliver stunning results with pixel size of 5.7 to 6.4µm....I've also seen remarkably talented PP by some at a pixel size of 4.3 to 4.7µm....for easier and more successful PP I'd recommend staying around 6.4 to 8.2µm pixel size.

Sure you can use MF lenses for bird photographey...but for BIF (bird in flight) shots,an AF lens makes it a lot easier to have a high keeper rate.

That said...you might want to review this thread..... http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1064127/0

NikkorAIS on in the thread above has the Nikkor 600/4 & 600/5.6 as well as the 500/4 & 800/5.6...I'd recommend PMing him for his insight on the lenses.

Of note...the final version, the Nikkor 600mm f5.6 IF-ED N has a MFD of five meters and would be the one I would seek to buy.

One final note...the Canon FD 600/4,5 was probably one of the sharpest 60omm super-telephotos every made...if one could be found at a decent price and having the mount conversion done...it's highly recommended....there would still be some CA to be corrected with this lens in post,especially with harsh contrasty backgrounds...but it's just a touch sharper then the Nikkor 600/4 or the 600/5.6.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
..................One final note...the Canon FD 600/4 was probably one of the sharpest 60omm super-telephotos every made...if one could be found at a decent price and having the mount conversion done...it's highly recommended....there would still be some CA to be corrected with this lens in post,especially with harsh contrasty backgrounds...but it's just a touch sharper then the Nikkor 600/4 or the 600/5.6.

Is it not f4.5 instead of f4 (in the canon FD serie) Question
I have tried only one time my nikkor 4/500 aip on nex, here was the results (nex5n+aip 4/500 + TCx2), all shots on monopode, focus with live view:
http://forum.mflenses.com/spring-is-here-the-birds-also-like-it-t48255.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...the 4.5 would be correct....thanks for the edit Wink it would take some serious searching to find a 4.0 version Laughing

Nice shots with the Nex & 500p...that lens has habit of delivering in spades!

There's a photog on dpreview trying to get a decent BIF with the nex....gotta admire his pluck..... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a 600mm Nikkor heading my way. I hope I made the right decision, at least I bough the 70-180 before the prices sky rocketed. I called the previous owner of this lens (a famous Finnish nature photographer) and he said that the lens is in perfect working order, it has seen very little use during it's 12 year old life (the photographer is over 80 Smile). Being old he couldn' easily carry it and when he did, he sometimes leaned the lens on some hard surfaces (rocks) which explains the somewhat rough appearance. The photographer was a "Nikon guy" (sponsored by Nikon) and the lens has been looked after by Nikon. I really hated letting go of the 70-180 but I felt this was a great opportunity especially as the prices of long Nikon glass is climbing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Post some shots when you get the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a camera rental business in Helsinki, which gives me the opportunity to meet with lens enthusiasts every now and then. One of my clients rented the 400/2.8G AF-S VR and he also had both the 600/5.6 Ai-S as well as the 800/5.6 Ai-S Nikkors, and they were both awfully good on the Nikon D800 when I shot a few snaps with them. I am confident you will be very satisfied with your trade - I would not have hesitated a single second had I been offered the same choice as you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, can't wait Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it is not clear to me if my 600mm is an AI or an AI-s. Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Btw, it is not clear to me if my 600mm is an AI or an AI-s. Anyone?

Check here

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#600

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it seems to be the AI-S but not the "New".