Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody ever thought of using cine lenses for photography?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Anybody ever thought of using cine lenses for photography? Reply with quote

Filmmakers use photography lenses to film. But I wonders if there are photographers out there that use Cine lenses.

Such as these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeiss+cp.2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta&Top+Nav-Search=

And don't tell me it's too expensive. I seen how much leica lenses go for on Ebay.

Let just forget about prices for now. Would you try it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the ones for 35mm are interesting imho as the others won't cover an APS-C sensor, 35mm ones will but with wider ones it can be very tight so there is some falloff in the corners.

Lots of people use old ones by TT&H, hence the huge prices they often go for, there's a stupid obsession in Asia with shooting them wide open as the coma and spherical abberation gives swirly bokeh.

I have some of the Russian LOMO OKC series, they are superb, I particularly like the 2.8/18.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of people use cine lenses. There are loads of adapters for them.
Even lenses for 16mm are easily adapted to APS-C sensor mirrorless bodies. There is often a vignetting problem but even so. There are even D-mount (8mm) adapters for small sensor camera's like the Pentax Q.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I do that all the time... Look into the cine section here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you guys understand what I'm talking about. I'm talking about today's cine lenses such as the link I posted. Which SHOULD cover even full frame sensors.

The type of lenses I'm talking about for examples are: Zeiss super speed, Zeiss compact prime, Canon Cine, Angenieux zoom, and a lot of director of photography like Cooke Panchro lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cooke+panchro&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta&Top+Nav-Search=

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh those $$$$$ ones - of course, instead of having a savings account Very Happy

But I have a Cooke Speed Pancho (f2/108mm), quite an amazing lens. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157632021976157/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the CP.2s are huge, heavy, and not particularly ergonomic for hand-held stills. The rings are not designed to be turned by a hand. Image quality of course would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: movie glass Reply with quote

Oscar Beranek helped to start the use of 24x35mm by using cinema film stock (which was used "half frame" for movies). One must assume that longer cinema lenses with larger image circles may have been adapted for use even then.

In the distant past, I believe long Zeiss Sonnars also were used to make films.

In the not quite so distant past, the apochromatic Kinoptic cinema optics 100 and 150mm covered full frame and hence were adopted by Pignons (Alpa).The shorter ones would vignette on a "full frame". Longer Kinoptics, like the Cine Special could also be delivered with Alpa mounts.

I have used a Camex mount Kinoptic 100mm on a 5d II. Alpa mount to filmplane distance is too short for use on other SLRs, but one may of course remove the optical cell. For the early 100mms this is easily done, since they came with the detachable extensan mount. The early 150es need unscrewing some screws and a new rear mount. The newer ones with auto aperture would not lend themselves easily to such treatment. On short mount bodies like 4\3s , any Alpa lens including the ones originally intended for cinema can be mounted.

You may not be hunting for the more specialized cine optics, but it seems that anamorphic attachments are reasonably easy to come by.

p

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cine lenses was always pro lenses, if okay for pro cine makers , surely okay to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax Sonnar 4/135 also came in cine mount, one went unsold on ebay uk the other day for 10ukp, it had a 18XXXXX serial, pre-war uncoated.

The Russians also put oct-18 mounts on their copy of the Sonnar 4/135 for use of 35mm mocie cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean something like this ?

If I can get this lens under $200 I will! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Do you mean something like this ?

If I can get this lens under $200 I will! Very Happy

This is exactly what I was talking about. But it looks like he's taking video and not photography. It'll be fun to see more people taking pictures with these lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought the same thing in the past.

FYI cine lenses (especially for fast action) don't need to be as sharp as still lenses. Stills are examined for longer, more noticeable when something is wrong... Well, in theory anyway.

What I like about cine lenses is that they communicate in T-Stops, not F-Stops. I think all lenses should adopt this scheme.

-Ben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ, cine lenses have to be sharp - maybe you forgot about the size of the projected final image in movies.... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I beg to differ, cine lenses have to be sharp - maybe you forgot about the size of the projected final image in movies.... Wink

Yes it has to be sharp. However, video has less pixels than photography. The highest standard, 4k, is only 3840 pixels × 2160 pixels. Most theaters only show 4k. That's why photography lenses can be use on movies because if it can resolve a digital camera, then it's good enough for cinema.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you really need to try one, there's Samyang cine version with T-stop. same price with F-stop one I guess.
I know 35/1,4 and 85/1,4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
I have thought the same thing in the past.

What I like about cine lenses is that they communicate in T-Stops, not F-Stops. I think all lenses should adopt this scheme.

-Ben

Does anyone know why T-stops is not the standards for photography?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure I would like to use some film taking lenses, but at the moment I use film projection lenses - they are much cheaper.
My Astro Berlin Fernbildlinse 200mm/5 16mm film lens has a too small image circle for my 5D, have to test it with a crop camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already use a cine lens (FUJINON 14X) to take pictures with my Nikon d300s. I spend some time to adapt it, but the results are not a good as I expected, but the global render is quite nice, especially bokehs.

Check on my Tumblr : http://manuallyonly.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me the reverse path of what is being done now... cine makers using photo lenses because cheaper...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
It seems to me the reverse path of what is being done now... cine makers using photo lenses because cheaper...

Ya exactly what I thought as well. It makes sense for cine makers especially independent movie shooters to use photo lenses because they are a lot cheaper. On the other hand it's extremely expensive for photographers to use cine lenses because they are too expensive.

Eg. A Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 is around $725 new on Amazon. A Zeiss 50/T1.3 cine lens is around $21950. The price difference is too big to justify using these types of cine lenses for photography.

However, I know quite a lot of ppl including myself use 8mm and 16mm cine lenses from the old days for both photography and video shooting. These are much more affordable. But still ever since Pentax Q's released, these lenses' prices sky rocketed...and so I think they are more for enthusiasts more than practical use.