Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the footage quality of the NEX3 like?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: What's the footage quality of the NEX3 like? Reply with quote

As per the title really.

I will primarily be shooting in low light levels (Underground), and want something small I can tack some of my existing lenses to. I currently use a small, cheap, but decent HD cam. The problem is, it hunts on focus a lot, so I plan on doing what I did with my DSLR, and going back to basics. Sadly, the 400D does not shoot anything other than stills. I have a number of M42 and PK lenses to put on the end of it.

Does Focus Peaking work when shooting footage? The would be a huge boost. I don't plan on upgrading to a DSLR body, as apart from footage, I have no need or want to upgrade. £150 for the body, and £40 or so for a few adaptors should be a lot cheaper than shelling out for a 550D. (£300+)

All comments appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really shot any video with my NEX-3 but I will do over the bank holiday so you can see for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that NEX-3 only shoot in 1280 * 720 @ 29,970 fps.
And yes, focus peaking works while shooting videos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's not a good idea - it is good for stills but not for video.
As the sensor is not stabilized with manual lenses it will shake a lot unless you plan to use it with some kind of steadycam.
Also the mpg4 format is very very compressed - 1 minute goes around 60 MB.
Also consider that there are no manual controls in video. I guess EOS with the hack will be much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
As the sensor is not stabilized with manual lenses it will shake a lot unless you plan to use it with some kind of steadycam.

My a55 has a stabilized sensor, but nevertheless when i shoot handheld, walking, it produces awfully shaky footage. And in some cases if I turn image stabilization on, it gets even worse - I mean, the way the frame is recorded on cmos sensors causes much more problems than the lack of image stabilization.
This issue is getting handled always better on newer cameras, and my not stabilized nex 5n produces almost usable handheld footage, if you move carefully - incredibly better than a55.
The truth is that any kind of support is strongly reccomended when shooting with these cmos sensors, if not strictly mandatory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OM-D has an awesome IBIS, but you can't use legacy lenses for video with IBIS yet (hoping for a firmware update on this).
It's also compact and have good IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other alternative is a hacked Panny GH2.