Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 30 3.5 - one day in Leipzig with B/W
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 30 3.5 - one day in Leipzig with B/W Reply with quote

Well, as I said, I didnt like it. But because it gives 45mm in Crop camera, it's worth a try.

All wide open, and i'm new in B/W, so pictures are not very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though flare may be an issue?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lot better lens what you did present here Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results are terrible. I have this lens and it's not that bad. Maybe you should try stopping it down, this lens is not meant to be shot wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a bad copy, in color it's always too soft. Maybe I should throw it out when I have time and money and buy me another.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
I think I have a bad copy, in color it's always too soft. Maybe I should throw it out when I have time and money and buy me another.

I have issues with my 30/3.5. I'm probably going to send to Moleman to at least get it cleaned up. I agree with the poster
about shooting wide open at 3.5. Not very good results when wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so technically it's not great, but IMHO some pictures have distinct vintage charm. I quite like the stairs, the cameras and the last one. I find the softness and the glow quite pleasant. IMHO it creates the illusion of a very old movie. Should be interesting for female portraits too. I wouldn't try to squeeze any sharpness from it, just use as a softfocus lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Ok, so technically it's not great, but IMHO some pictures have distinct vintage charm. I quite like the stairs, the cameras and the last one. I find the softness and the glow quite pleasant. IMHO it creates the illusion of a very old movie. Should be interesting for female portraits too. I wouldn't try to squeeze any sharpness from it, just use as a softfocus lens.

I agree that some of these shots, especially the last, have some lovely old world charm to them. I've only used my version wide open on close-ups so I expect it's the same on larger scenes, it's still an excellent lens though. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm might be worth checking if someone had put one of the elements in the wrong way......it happened to me from an ebay lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Meyer zebra version and find it to be a wonderful lens. Tack sharp with great colors. However, mine had bad haze when I received it, which I cleaned - now still has haze, but not as bad. This is the lens I now pick up when I need something in that general focal length, even though it is relatively slow. I actually like it better than my Flek 35/2.4.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three copies of this lens and one did have a similar look to this one, due to being full of fungus, a complete coating of two elements with the thin, wispy kind. After I cleaned it the IQ improved dramatically and it performed like the others.

The way this one is performing right now, it's definitely got something wrong with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me how to open inner element? After I remove 3 parts, I dont see any screw which i must remove more. Sad Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could remember, it's been 9 months or more since I did it, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found out, I must remove from the front, not the rear.
Test with your post, ian. Laughing

Still the same i think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from the front, sorry I'm late to tell you that. I found the front easier to clean that the tiny rear element, and I suspect I still have haze remaining in my rear glass. To my knowlede the front elements are bonded into a single piece and cannot be installed wrong. The rear I don't remember if it could be reversed. I suggest you put the glass up to a very bright light and see if there is fogging. There sure appears to be a lot of diffusion in your pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Kyonith, I've had a few lenses that were like yours and ruined by fungus and haze, most of them I was able to clean, luckily, and I'm far from an expert.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear is damaged, very sad Sad. Maybe i will sell it or keep as soft lens. Good news is the shop near my house still have two meyer lydith, bad news is i dont have any money until next month.
Life is hard, isnt it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Meyer 30/3.5 is good if you don't examine extreme corners or distortions...

Last edited by Riku on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the corners, but they behave better when stopped down.

Before cleaned

No crop - after cleaning

Up close

Fully open, note upper left somewhat blurry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this topic the other night and thought, "I like my Pentacon, I'm sure it's better than this ?" But I hadn't used it for a while, so I got it out today and tried it.

Cropped, but otherwise completely untouched, when zoomed in that's sharp ! and although it was a grey day I've seen CA in shots like this from lesser lenses, there's none here.

Straight out of the camera.

Straight out of the camera.

Big crop and auto levels to get some better exposure on the cat.

Sadly, I think Kyonthinh's Pentacon has a problem. normally it's a very good budget lens that is often overlooked because it is seen as 'cheap'. That's a shame, it's very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice lens ,I like the mfd, this is with a close up filter 3+ at 5.6

and wide open can have a nice effect too