Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-33 2/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Helios-33 2/35 Reply with quote

Here's a curious little oddity, I've only seen this lens in cine mount for Konvas and Kinor movie cameras but this one I have is tiny, the size of a 35mm film canister and looks like it is from some industrial equipment.

Back focus is only 20-22mm, I haven't determined the exact measurement yet and I'm working on mounting it in the barrel of another lens, these shots were with it handheld against a NEX-C mount adapter. It looks worth the hassle to remount to me, and I think, like the Helios-44 it's a Biotar type, renders like one but without the swirly bokeh.

These were wide open, ISO800, shows potential I think.

There was a tube about 2cm long, threaded on the outside on the back, I've cut this off so it will now reach infinity, the challenge is to mount it with only 2-5mm distance from the throat of the NEX mount.

Does anyone know anything about the Helios-33? i can't find any info with Google.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's what Russian Wikipedia says:

This is 35mm movie camera lens made by KMZ;
Covers: 18x24
Mount: M28x0.5
Here are some pictures for people that don't have this lens:
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/gleban-spb/view/440574/?page=0

From google cache of KMZ Helios-33 page:

6-lens anastigmat;
6 lenses in 4 groups;
Visual resolution (don't ask me what it is) 340 lines per mm in the center.

In Russian forums one can also find 31/20 (center/edge) resolution figures, which seems to be in the same units as usual for Soviet photo lenses. This is slightly worse than collapsible Industar-22, but slightly better than Industar-26m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

Mine looks like this:

I've cut that threaded tube at the back off just behind the rear glass element.

I've stripped down an X-Fujinon 2.2/55 to just the helicoid, the Helios fits nice, now I just have to do some trimming of the back of the carcass of the Fujinon and I should be able to make it work. No big loss on destroying the Fujinon, I have lots of 50mm lenses and this was far from the best and worth virtually nothing on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I found where some of these Helios-33s came from, this wierd half frame camera:

http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/farm%203.htm

I found these specs for the lens:

Focal length: 35 mm (34,95 mm)
Relative aperture: 1:2
Vision: 45°
The size of a shot: 18x24 mm
Forward topmost focal length: −20,28 mm
Back topmost focal length: 24,03 mm
Distance from the first to last surface: 22,2 mm
Light diameter of the first surface: Ø17,6 mm
Light diameter of last surface: Ø14,3 mm
Quantity of lenses/groups: 6/4
Limits of a scale of diaphragms: 1:2 - 1:16
Enlightenment type: single-layered, chemical
Mount: M28x0,5
Overall dimensions of a lens (the greatest diameter x length): Ø29,5x26,5 mm
Weight: 52g

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've managed to mount it in the helicoid of the Fujinon and it fits quite nicely. However, holding it against the NEX, it only focuses about 3m away so I will have to see if I can shorten the barrel a bit to try to get infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well I think I found where some of these Helios-33s came from, this wierd half frame camera:

I found these specs for the lens:

Focal length: 35 mm (34,95 mm)
Relative aperture: 1:2
Vision: 45°
The size of a shot: 18x24 mm
Forward topmost focal length: −20,28 mm
Back topmost focal length: 24,03 mm
Distance from the first to last surface: 22,2 mm
Light diameter of the first surface: Ø17,6 mm
Light diameter of last surface: Ø14,3 mm
Quantity of lenses/groups: 6/4
Limits of a scale of diaphragms: 1:2 - 1:16
Enlightenment type: single-layered, chemical
Mount: M28x0,5
Overall dimensions of a lens (the greatest diameter x length): Ø29,5x26,5 mm
Weight: 52g

This is copied line by line from KMZ Russian page. The page is no longer available but could be retrieved through google cache. The page had a footnote that the size/weight measurements are for "bare lens", without the frame (again, whatever that means).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens for sure, good luck for proper mount, fingers are crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!.
The lens seems to be good.
I love to see unusual lenses being reused on the EVIL cams.
I'm currently trying to disassemble the optics of a Vivitar 2x Macro teleconverte in PK mount (that Carsten was so kind to send me) , to hold some good enlarger lenses.
So I appreciate very much all the initiatives like yours, because they can provide interesting clues for this kind of adaptations, thanks for sharing.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have ordered another set of NEX extension tubes because the rearmost tube with the mount is ideal for using on these DIY projects, when it arrives from HK I can try to finish this job. It would be much easier if this lens didn't have such a short backfocus.

Good luck with your project Jes, it sounds like a good one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIOS-33-2-35-lens-PO4-1m-Leica-LTM-L39-mount-OKC-WITH-FOCUSING-PART-/221923505850

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's expensive...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn`t cover FF Rolling Eyes

A PEN F 38mm f/1.8 would be a better choice IMO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying it, just thought it was a nice little lens for crop mirrorless, I have not come across one before, so though I'd post the link.
And yes, the PEN F 38mm f/1.8 is nice.
I'm actually tempted to pick up the Olympus 40mm LTM.