Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IBIS in Oly Pens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: IBIS in Oly Pens Reply with quote

Does it work with long MF lenses ( 100-200mm )well enough to be an advantage for using such a body ( Oly EPL1) vs a Panasonic GX one ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a trick question. I have two Epl1:s and one Epl5 and I have IBIS of for general shooting. I have always felt that IBIS can interfere and give me less sharp pictures. If shutter speed go down under what can safely be hand held, IBIS work fine, but not always. You have to accept that sometimes it is a miss, but you will get some sharp pictures and for that it is invaluable.

I have countless shots with longer MF-lenses and Epl cameras and VF-2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the epl5 and ep5 have ibis issues between 1/8-1/250 second. they can cause blur. they also have shutter shock issues, and must be used at 1/8 second anti shock. this may or may not solve the blur issues. they dont for me, so i know ibis is the culprit, especially around 1/100 second SS. i had an ep2 and never had an ibis issiue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gurin
I have used my EPL 1 until now only on AF with the kit 14-42 lens.
As far as I know , the performances of the image stabilisation in body are a bit under the maximum performance of in lens stabilisation which are somehow better fitted for the particular lens.If I'd have 1 stop advantage using this camera with a 200 mm ( which gives the angle of view like a 400 mm on FF) , I'd be happy. The new 16mp sensor generation has anyway 1 stop (or more?)over the 12mp ones in terms of ISO ,these could help using a higher ISO to keep speed high enough to avoid shake.But It's an investment that I'd avoid for now.
I'd better seek for an evf to help stabisising the camera , but they're a bit pricey.

Last edited by yinyangbt on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
the epl5 and ep5 have ibis issues between 1/8-1/250 second. they can cause blur. they also have shutter shock issues, and must be used at 1/8 second anti shock. this may or may not solve the blur issues. they dont for me, so i know ibis is the culprit, especially around 1/100 second SS. i had an ep2 and never had an ibis issiue.

Hi,Tony , didn't see your post Smile Very interesting , it seems that the older pens could work a bit better than the newer ones MF stabilisation wise?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think thats correct.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 200-500 F5.6 OLy epm-2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it works. I get between 2 and 3 stops of stabilization on E-PL1. E-P5 is supposed to have a better IBIS, although I didn't use really long lenses with it yet. However, it does have issues with shutter shock, which I counter by switching to high frame rate shutter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
For me it works. I get between 2 and 3 stops of stabilization on E-PL1. E-P5 is supposed to have a better IBIS, although I didn't use really long lenses with it yet. However, it does have issues with shutter shock, which I counter by switching to high frame rate shutter.

Interesting.