Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 135 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Helios 135 f2.8 Reply with quote

Can anyone offer any information about this lens? It was made in Japan and has a pull-out lens hood. It's in great condition and as sharp as tack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was distributed by Technical and Optical Equipment Ltd. (Company ?) who were the UK agents for Zenit. I've no idea who made it but I've seen several different body shapes - so maybe they used more than one manufacturer. I've also seen a Helios 28 mm, again imported from Japan by T&OE. And I believe there are some zooms as well.

Presumably TO&E, and its customers, found the lens attractive because of the automatic aperture. The common Soviet 135 mm lenses (Jupiter 11, 11A, 37A & Tair 11A) of the time were all presets.

There are quite a few examples of this lens currently for sale on the big auction site. A couple come with boxes - in the characteristic Helios/TO&E red livery.

It's sometimes suggested that T&OE "stole" the name 'Helios' from KMZ/Zenit. Others suggest that it was never registered in the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a bad 135mm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Yes, but not many.

Sigma made Pentacon Prakticar 2.8/135 - quite a rare one I think, the copy I had was low in contrast, weak colours and soft, even at f8 it wasn't as sharp as I'd like.

Vivitar Series 1 2.3/135 - the copy I had was awful, CA was massive and it was very very soft, only really usable at f8, above that the CA and softness was bad.

Cosina made Petri 3.5/135 - tiny lens, sharpness was okay but contrast and colours very weak.

Tokina made Hoya 2.8/135 - very well built lens, felt like a Pentax-M in quality, but had purple fringes until f5.6 and was quite soft with poor contrast.

I still don't know whether I just had unlucky bad copies of these lenses or what, but they were all poor lenses I quickly got rid of, no sense keeping a less than great 135mm when there are so many great ones to be had cheap.

I've seen the OP's lens before in other brands, quite often people saying 'got this really cheap and it surprised me'; no idea who made it, TOE sourced a lot of stuff from Sigma and Cosina but I don't think this is made by either. There's a couple of other ubiquitous 135s that have the same surprisingly good IQ, one I have had 3 or 4 copies of is a Samyang, it's seen under at least 6 or 7 brands (Mirage, Kestrel, Exaktar etc) but doesn't look like the OPs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a copy of that lens and I'm happy with it.
I used it heavily with the SIGMA SD9:

And these are some samples wide open:

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples. Good sharpness and no CA to be noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Mine is good too, except purple fringing WO in backlit situations.
It is exactly like yours: NO. 786039!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. Smile

PS: As an afterthought. does anyone know what the -3 at the end of the number on my lens is?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Mine is good too, except purple fringing WO in backlit situations.
It is exactly like yours: NO. 786039!

38 serials away! Probably they were built in the same batch/same day Smile
Our lenses are close cousins Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Japanese faking Soviet lenses Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

That length of lens is not particularly challenging to design.

Last edited by Oreste on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

+1

In my entire photographic career I have never owned or used one, which now that I think about it, is amazing.